PDA

View Full Version : Rivendell bikes in stock? Why yes and they are cool.

Cicli
07-14-2016, 05:13 AM
I am on the road for work and I stopped in a shop yesterday just to look. Didnt look like anything special until I looked closer.
A beautiful Waterford.
Full display of Brooks goodies, bags and all.
Surlys everywhere.
Soma San Marcos.
Trek 520's
Then a full rack of complete Rivendells. Awesome bikes.

A1 Cyclery in Indy. They are cool guys too. Hung out for a while and bought a killer shop hat. Thay got nice stuff. Check it out if you are in the area.

Bad photo.

Cicli
07-14-2016, 05:14 AM
Another

Ken Robb
07-14-2016, 09:34 AM
I can imagine that they do quite well offering potential buyers the opportunity to ride some non-race bikes to see what they have to offer. Rivendells are so different from most mainstream offerings that it takes a leap of faith to buy one without a test ride.

goonster
07-14-2016, 10:16 AM
It's a niche very much outside the mainstream of folks who normally spend a lot of money on bikes, but it'd be a mistake to dismiss them outright.

I seriously thought about buying a Cheviot.
http://cdn3.volusion.com/ctxtv.wmppt/v/vspfiles/photos/f-cheviot-4.jpg?1466522381

(disclosure: I'm a recovering Riv Kool-Aid drinker from way back)

blakcloud
07-14-2016, 10:29 AM
I can imagine that they do quite well offering potential buyers the opportunity to ride some non-race bikes to see what they have to offer. Rivendells are so different from most mainstream offerings that it takes a leap of faith to buy one without a test ride.
It certainly was a leap of faith for me when I bought two, one for my wife and one for myself. We both like our bikes so it worked out well but I agree with your sentiment.

mistermo
07-14-2016, 10:32 AM
Interesting. I live in Indy, am a fan of Riv, and never knew this place existed.

raygunner
07-14-2016, 10:43 AM
I've owned a few and my girlfriend currently rides a Betty Foy. I really do see myself owning another one in the near term.

With that said I can't find their Clem/Clementine offerings appealing.

AngryScientist
07-14-2016, 10:45 AM
Rivendells are so different from most mainstream offerings that it takes a leap of faith to buy one without a test ride.

i think that's changing a bit. "gravel bikes" are all the rage right now, and all the big companies are putting out more practical bikes that are geared more towards cycling adventure than pure road race. the market is changing a bit i think.

mistermo
07-14-2016, 10:54 AM
Rivendells are so different from most mainstream offerings that it takes a leap of faith to buy one without a test ride.
This is true. I would've thought they felt like boat anchors until I did a demo ride on a Rambouillet and AHH a few years back. They rode great and didn't feel as heavy as I'd imagined they'd be. Also, I was surprised how much longer the TT measurement should be vs. my standard bikes. I'd like to find a used AHH.

fiamme red
07-14-2016, 12:12 PM
Now also at Omaha Bicycle Co.: http://rivbike.tumblr.com/post/147313829394/rivendell-welcomes-our-newest-dealer-omaha.

fourflys
07-14-2016, 12:13 PM
not a fan of the current Riv offerings, but I had one in the past and would love to find an Orange Ram in my size one day....

good to know about the shop as I from there and will probably be going back at Thanksgiving...

559Rando
07-14-2016, 12:27 PM
Rivendell is starting to sell in a handful of shops around the US.

The Wheelhouse in LA (http://www.thewheelhouse.bike/) is on my list of places to visit in LA. The owner Chase seems like a cool guy and the shop photos are awesome. I'm excited to see this shop grow!

Rivelo in PDX is owned and operated by former Riv GM John Bennett and his wife. Great people.

icepick_trotsky
07-14-2016, 12:44 PM
I test rode an A. Homer Hilson at their HQ in Walnut Creek. Super nice people and quite a spry ride. My first spin on 650b and I definitely see the appeal on the road.

CMiller
07-14-2016, 12:45 PM
They even have the new Appaloosas!

I have had a Rivendell Atlantis and a Clem. Both were a little overbuilt for a 165 pound unloaded rider, but smooth and versatile bikes. The new trend for super long chainstays looks a bit goofy, but their classics are fantastic. Older Sam Hillborne with v-brakes is one of my dream bikes!

adamhell
07-14-2016, 02:13 PM
i bought a hunqapillar last year, and just built up an A Homer Hilsen I won on ebay a couple weeks ago.

the bikes definitely have to speak to you in some way. having read much of the website's copy (all by GP), as well as more Grant Petersen literature, i find their niche of intended use/design philosophy speaks to my style of riding more than my custom road bike, for example.

there is something special about the way the bikes ride, and definitely something special about the way they look, which, it seems, can be polarizing...

here in the bay area i see other people riding rivendells almost every day, and I have some neighbors with them, including Keven who used to work there.

559Rando
07-14-2016, 02:31 PM
Rivs are polarizing for many reasons. No question that if I'd get one it would be the forthcoming Hubbuhubbuh:

http://65.media.tumblr.com/ddf3b3bccd6988dc4366d566aad928f9/tumblr_o9utdwqACF1voztvoo1_540.jpg (http://hubbuhubbuh.tumblr.com/)

Ken Robb
07-14-2016, 03:22 PM
I have my 1989 Bridgestone MB-3 which Grant helped design/spec so I think of it as a Beta Rivendell. :) I also have one of the original orange Rambouillets and an Allrounder built by Match Bicycles with Joe Bell paint. Curt Goodrich told me he brazed the main triangle when he was at Match. Leslie had the final prototype Romulus. When she quit riding we sold it to a Forumite.

Since my Ducati wreck I'm not riding much but these bikes and my Hampsten Strada Bianca are all so pretty I haven't been motivated to sell them----yet.

p nut
07-14-2016, 03:58 PM
Never had one, but I definitely wouldn't mind a new Appaloosa, or a Hunq.

http://theradavist.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Jonathans-Rivendell-Joe-Appaloosa-Touring-Bike-6-1335x892.jpg

Dustin
07-14-2016, 07:58 PM
The early Rivs were really compelling, and came at a time when the mainstream wasn't doing much when it came to multi-surface, practical cycling. I am however having a hard time getting on board with the double toptube, super long chainstay incarnations of today.

Sierra
07-14-2016, 08:04 PM
The early Rivs were really compelling, and came at a time when the mainstream wasn't doing much when it came to multi-surface, practical cycling. I am however having a hard time getting on board with the double toptube, super long chainstay incarnations of today.

+1

That double top tube is goofy.

The classic, three main tubes are almost a Platonic universal form. Shouldn't be messed with. It is frozen in time, as it should be; and perfect. Builder wants to be creative with regard to form? That is what carbon fiber is for. They can go and devise all sorts of new universal forms. ;)

gemship
07-14-2016, 09:19 PM
What a cool bike shop. I'll have to bucket list a visit!

pinkshogun
07-14-2016, 09:27 PM
at D2R2 in October a few years back

bobdenver1961
07-14-2016, 10:07 PM
I like the double top tube. Makes for a different distinctive bike. Otherwise it's just the boring standard bike frame. :bike:

fiamme red
07-14-2016, 10:33 PM
I like the double top tube. Makes for a different distinctive bike. Otherwise it's just the boring standard bike frame. :bike:The lower top tube is a good place to hang laundry when on tour (especially if you keep a frame pump between the top tubes), though I doubt that this was Grant Petersen's intention. :)

JAGI410
07-14-2016, 10:43 PM
For lugged frame lover like myself, the Extra toptube = extra lugs!!!

Mikeys
07-14-2016, 11:50 PM
That shop has good taste in bikes, but man... that carpet. I'm going to assume it has slatwall everywhere too (referring to the first photo)

gemship
07-15-2016, 06:57 AM
The lower top tube is a good place to hang laundry when on tour (especially if you keep a frame pump between the top tubes), though I doubt that this was Grant Petersen's intention. :)

That's funny to me because I actually do have a habit of hanging laundry inside the house to keep the bugs off of it. When I run out of space I usually start hanging/draping it over a few bikes in the house too.

rccardr
07-15-2016, 07:03 AM
Not such a big fan of the double top tube frames, but this Road Standard (frame is ex-DaveH) may show up at Cino this year with a larger set of cogs, compact crank and downtube shifters:

http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy254/rccardr/96%20Rivendell%20Road%20Standard%20green/96%20Riv%20RS%20right%20side_zps72rckksv.jpg (http://s797.photobucket.com/user/rccardr/media/96%20Rivendell%20Road%20Standard%20green/96%20Riv%20RS%20right%20side_zps72rckksv.jpg.html)

raygunner
07-15-2016, 09:17 AM
It's the above bike why I love Rivendell.

It's this bike (below) that makes me question that love. But don't think about questioning it's design on the "RBW Owners Group".

http://cdn3.volusion.com/ctxtv.wmppt/v/vspfiles/photos/wsf-117-2.jpg?1466522381

Dustin
07-15-2016, 09:49 AM
Aesthetics aside, the double TT sucks for me on a touring bike as I like to use a framebag. It also makes the bike uber stiff--and there can be too much of a good thing in this department.

It is interesting that both Rivendell and Jeff Jones seem to be embracing the long chainstay thing . . . I'd definitely be interested in riding one of the Nee Jones plus bikes.

Frankwurst
07-15-2016, 09:54 AM
I've had a Rambouillet, Romulus, Quickbeam, Bleriot, Allrounder 700c, Saluki. and 3 Atlantis' that I can remember. Still have the last Atlantis and it's pretty unlikely I'll part with it. Especially since I put some Compass Rat Trap Pass Tires on it. It's just to comfortable and fun. Kinda feel like I'm riding around in an all terrain barcalounger. :beer:

fourflys
07-15-2016, 10:51 AM
It's the above bike why I love Rivendell.

It's this bike (below) that makes me question that love. But don't think about questioning it's design on the "RBW Owners Group".

Ha! Too true! :D

ColonelJLloyd
07-15-2016, 11:00 AM
Rivs are polarizing for many reasons. No question that if I'd get one it would be the forthcoming Hubbuhubbuh:

http://65.media.tumblr.com/ddf3b3bccd6988dc4366d566aad928f9/tumblr_o9utdwqACF1voztvoo1_540.jpg (http://hubbuhubbuh.tumblr.com/)

The lack of a disc fork on a modern tandem is being retro-grouch for retro-grouchiness' sake, in my opinion.

Frankwurst
07-15-2016, 06:37 PM
I'd have do disagree with respect of course but isn't the rim brake a disc brake only on a larger diameter disc? :beer:

Dustin
07-15-2016, 07:07 PM
Rim brakes off-road: because hand neuropathy and arm pump never go out of style.

rw229
07-16-2016, 12:22 AM
I'm a Rivendell (pre-two-top-tube) fan.

We spoke about your Allrounder a few years ago. While your bikes might be a little big for me, shoot me a message when you're ready to liquidate. :)

I have my 1989 Bridgestone MB-3 which Grant helped design/spec so I think of it as a Beta Rivendell. :) I also have one of the original orange Rambouillets and an Allrounder built by Match Bicycles with Joe Bell paint. Curt Goodrich told me he brazed the main triangle when he was at Match. Leslie had the final prototype Romulus. When she quit riding we sold it to a Forumite.

Since my Ducati wreck I'm not riding much but these bikes and my Hampsten Strada Bianca are all so pretty I haven't been motivated to sell them----yet.

Cicli
08-30-2016, 04:54 AM
As an update to the Indy people. Stopped in this shop yesterday and he is stocking Compass, Rivendell and Soma tires now.
Awesome.
Picked up the 38's several times. Just dont have a bike to put them on.

type2sam
08-30-2016, 05:13 AM
Harris in W. Newton, MA has Rivendells, Somas, etc.

steveoz
08-31-2016, 10:41 PM

agreed - I was a longtime fan of Rivendale...I can remember him railing against sloping tube bikes - insisting that level top tubes had an aesthetic that couldn't be matched...aaaand now virtually all his bikes are sloping tubes...and doesn't it seem all the offerings are just variations of a "do all" bike?

Ken Robb
08-31-2016, 10:51 PM
agreed - I was a longtime fan of Rivendale...I can remember him railing against sloping tube bikes - insisting that level top tubes had an aesthetic that couldn't be matched...aaaand now virtually all his bikes are sloping tubes...and doesn't it seem all the offerings are just variations of a "do all" bike?
What is a Rivendale?

adamhell
08-31-2016, 11:03 PM
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h184/adamleibow/Mobile%20Uploads/DBD7789A-5C54-4066-BD23-2A00B3BA3FD1_zpsqik7hsxf.jpg

my hunqaCHILLER in the mtn fog

Pastashop
09-01-2016, 08:29 AM
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h184/adamleibow/Mobile%20Uploads/DBD7789A-5C54-4066-BD23-2A00B3BA3FD1_zpsqik7hsxf.jpg

my hunqaCHILLER in the mtn fog

b -_- d (thumbs up)

Do you find the top tube / reach much longer than a typical road or cross bike?.. Is it intended mainly for flat or back-swept bars?

(I'm interested in their new iteration of the Hunq for 650b wheels... It feeds a desire more than a need, but still. Gonna save up for a year and hope they have 56 in stock when I should be ready. Anyone want to buy my 57-58 cm road bikes in the meantime?.. :-)

ColonelJLloyd
09-01-2016, 08:33 AM
I'd have do disagree with respect of course but isn't the rim brake a disc brake only on a larger diameter disc? :beer:

Nice joke, dad.

adamhell
09-01-2016, 11:02 AM
b -_- d (thumbs up)

Do you find the top tube / reach much longer than a typical road or cross bike?.. Is it intended mainly for flat or back-swept bars?

(I'm interested in their new iteration of the Hunq for 650b wheels... It feeds a desire more than a need, but still. Gonna save up for a year and hope they have 56 in stock when I should be ready. Anyone want to buy my 57-58 cm road bikes in the meantime?.. :-)

i wouldn't say all the bikes are designed around swept back / upright bars. plenty of people run drops or flat bars. the top tupe length isn't tailored in upright bars' favor. i just switched to a map ahearne bar on my hunqapillar (had albatross) and now i can finally lean forward and get weight over the front wheel for the more technical stuff. it just depends how you want to be set up on the bike. while plenty of the rivendell demographic like the alba / bosco comfort factor, i think the shredibility of the Map/Ahearne bars and the fact that they are still comfort-oriented upright bars by most peoples' standards mean they bridge the gap quite well. only the dutch-style mixte / stepthrough offerings are truly designed around an upright position ATME (according to my experience).

seric
09-01-2016, 12:23 PM
The lack of a disc fork on a modern tandem is being retro-grouch for retro-grouchiness' sake, in my opinion.

I still see Magura Rim brakes as the ideal tandem brake, so I welcome this retro-grouchiness. If they put an Arai pac-man on the back, I'd welcome that as well.

Ken Robb
09-01-2016, 10:43 PM
I'm a Rivendell (pre-two-top-tube) fan.

We spoke about your Allrounder a few years ago. While your bikes might be a little big for me, shoot me a message when you're ready to liquidate. :)

I sent you a message.

weisan
09-01-2016, 10:51 PM
I sent you a message.

He's ready. :p