PDA

View Full Version : Need a New on-bike pump- not Lezyne

metalheart
07-13-2016, 05:28 PM
Short version: I would like a reliable, high quality on-bike pump for rides. I can store it on my bike or in a jersey pocket. Any suggestions for something that has some power to pump up tubes on the road would be appreciated.....

Long Version: I flat maybe once a year and today was that day. My last flat was about 5000 miles ago, last summer and I had a similar experience then as I had today. For todays event, I removed the flatted tube, pulled out a Schwalbe extra light tube, put it in, use the co2 inflator, which somehow fails to inflate the tube. So, I pull out the Lezyne Road drive, push it on the valve and pump. Nothing. I examine the valve and all seems ok, so I try again Nothing. I try blowing into the valve and there is no inflation of the tube. I decide it is a bad tube.

I search for a quick patch, find the hole in the damaged tube put the Lezyne on to test it and the tube inflates. Great news. So, then I take the pump head off the tube and the tube deflates and the valve core comes out. I repeat this process until I have run out of swear words. Then I recall my last flat experience where I had a similar problem with the Road Drive pump removing valve cores. Longish walk in 90 degree heat. Enough is enough.

I know this issue has been discussed before, recently in this thread http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=189130&highlight=pump&page=3 . My road drive is older and does not have the pressure relief valve that some suggest is a solution to this problem of the pump hose removing the valve core, but I think I am done with this pump, it just has bad juju for me and i would like something else to start fresh.

I know little about the choices, but I don't mind paying for something high quality that will work when I need it. It was a long walk today......

oldpotatoe
07-13-2016, 05:35 PM
Short version: I would like a reliable, high quality on-bike pump for rides. I can store it on my bike or in a jersey pocket. Any suggestions for something that has some power to pump up tubes on the road would be appreciated.....

Long Version: I flat maybe once a year and today was that day. My last flat was about 5000 miles ago, last summer and I had a similar experience then as I had today. For todays event, I removed the flatted tube, pulled out a Schwalbe extra light tube, put it in, use the co2 inflator, which somehow fails to inflate the tube. So, I pull out the Lezyne Road drive, push it on the valve and pump. Nothing. I examine the valve and all seems ok, so I try again Nothing. I try blowing into the valve and there is no inflation of the tube. I decide it is a bad tube.

I search for a quick patch, find the hole in the damaged tube put the Lezyne on to test it and the tube inflates. Great news. So, then I take the pump head off the tube and the tube deflates and the valve core comes out. I repeat this process until I have run out of swear words. Then I recall my last flat experience where I had a similar problem with the Road Drive pump removing valve cores. Longish walk in 90 degree heat. Enough is enough.

I know this issue has been discussed before, recently in this thread http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=189130&highlight=pump&page=3 . My road drive is older and does not have the pressure relief valve that some suggest is a solution to this problem of the pump hose removing the valve core, but I think I am done with this pump, it just has bad juju for me and i would like something else to start fresh.

I know little about the choices, but I don't mind paying for something high quality that will work when I need it. It was a long walk today......

New Silca.

LJohnny
07-13-2016, 06:00 PM
I know you say you are done with the Lezyne pump, but does the core comes off the valve if you detach the hose from the pump-proximal end first and then detach from the valve?
I have to say that the above method has worked for me great so far and I have not extracted the cores in my setup. Of course YMMV...

FlashUNC
07-13-2016, 06:01 PM
Unscrew it from the pump first. Then from the valve.

Problem solved.

steelbikerider
07-13-2016, 06:20 PM
The Blackburn mini works well enough but takes 150 - 200 strokes to get a Pro4 25 mm endurance to 85 lbs or so.

thirdgenbird
07-13-2016, 06:24 PM
I've got a specalized air tool road (the long one, not the mini)

I've used it a few times and while I can't recall how many pumps it took to inflate a 28, it wasn't too bad. It's a pretty simple alloy pump but it looks and works nice for its $30 price.

stephenmarklay
07-13-2016, 06:34 PM
I know you say you are done with the Lezyne pump, but does the core comes off the valve if you detach the hose from the pump-proximal end first and then detach from the valve?
I have to say that the above method has worked for me great so far and I have not extracted the cores in my setup. Of course YMMV...

I had to use my Lezyne the other day. I was dealing with a slow leak about 20 miles from home. I was too lazy to put in a tube but used my Lezyne 4 times to get home. I just did the above method without issue.

stephenmarklay
07-13-2016, 06:41 PM
You could also run tubes without a removable core.

KJMUNC
07-13-2016, 06:42 PM
So I was the OP of the other Lezyne thread and it sounds like you're having the same issues I had. Did you try threading the pump on to the valve or were you just pushing it on?

I had forgotten that Lezyne threads onto the valve and it absolutely will not seat and pump air unless you do so.

After someone here pointed that out (and the nice folks at Lezyne tech support), I went home and tried it.....voila, it worked and I felt like this: :crap:

Hopefully yours is the same issue.

Climb01742
07-13-2016, 06:54 PM
I'm thinking about one of these:

https://www.ridepdw.com/goods/inflation/magic-flute

metalheart
07-13-2016, 06:56 PM
I usually thread the hose onto the valve stem then thread the pump body to the hose. Most times this works just fine and I usually just buy Schwalbe tubes that do not have removable cores, BUT, there are a few odd tubes in my tool box and one with a removable core worked its way onto the bike for this ride.

I talked to the fellows at Lezyne and they repeated some of the advice in the other thread ..... I might just try one of the new hoses with the pressure relief valve before I opt for another solution. I do have an old Silca frame pump somewhere in the garage...........

AngryScientist
07-13-2016, 07:26 PM
if you give the valve core a quick tightening with a needle nose pliers, it wont happen again, problem solved.

that said, i caught a good sale and have been carrying the new pocket silca. it wasnt something i needed, but i bought it, and i like it. well made piece of kit.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-S1o6oxdf_jI/VyaaX3gk00I/AAAAAAAACbY/OqfQHGTEGc8Hg7-T9ZFrg_h_M_G7SNeRwCLcB/s940/IMG_1478.JPG

Idris Icabod
07-13-2016, 11:22 PM
I'm thinking about one of these:

https://www.ridepdw.com/goods/inflation/magic-flute

I carried this thing around for months until I had to use it. Blew through the 3 CO2 cartridges I had and barely got any air in the tube and then the mini pump would only expel air through the CO2 attachment. Ended up calling for a ride, threw the POS away and bought a full sized frame pump.

vqdriver
07-13-2016, 11:43 PM
Sheesh. I guess ive just been lucky. Been using my genuine innovations second wind for like 7 or 8 years. Maybe 3 or 4 flats a year and its been just dandy. Co2 or pump.

Ozrider
07-13-2016, 11:44 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160714/48a0bb6679b4363169f60e1c2f2c687c.jpg
Just buy a new hose with the pressure release valve, much cheaper than a new pump.
I use Lezyne pumps for the whole family and no problems.
I also tighten the valve cores on all tubes as they are often pretty loose and leak slowly.

Parlee Z5, Trek Madone, Jonesman Custom

pdmtong
07-14-2016, 01:03 AM
blackburn airstik or topeak micro rocket to stage the tube as far as you can then top off with CO2 (carry two cartridges in case you gaffe one)

no one really wants to pump a mini pump to 85psi to get home.

when I find the money cave, sure silca pocket impero

Birddog
07-14-2016, 06:46 AM
when I find the money cave, sure silca pocket impero

Does it really perform that much better or is it just the "cool factor' that makes it desirable? My 6 or 8 yr old Lezyne works admirably.

AngryScientist
07-14-2016, 06:50 AM
Does it really perform that much better or is it just the "cool factor' that makes it desirable? My 6 or 8 yr old Lezyne works admirably.

i can answer that. it works a little better, and is very well built, but there is no reason to buy one if you have a pump that works and you like. at the end of the day, it's just a pocket pump. the "performance" really doesnt matter much right - as long as it works acceptably, it works.

i bought the silca because i thought it was cool and i wanted it (and it was on sale!), but there's no realistically justifying the purchase beyond that when i too have a lezyne that works great.

eippo1
07-14-2016, 08:12 AM
Still think the Lezyne is the bees knees, but really anything that doesn't torque the valve should be fine. My issues with hoseless frame-mounted pumps is that they usually kill the valve with all that throttling. The Topeak road morph is okay until the clasp holding the end stops working and you have to use 4 or 5 rubber bands to keep it from falling into your crank.

Intrigued by this one too. Basically a Lezyne with a gauge.
https://www.amazon.com/Mini-Bike-Pump-Gauge-BIKE/dp/B00XLGKU14/ref=lp_16062041_1_2?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1468501894&sr=1-2

Bob Ross
07-14-2016, 08:14 AM
no one really wants to pump a mini pump to 85psi to get home.

I've been carrying Topeak Road Morphs on all my bikes for the past ~10 years. It takes exactly 140 strokes to get to 90-100psi. With the fold-out handle, fold-out footrest gizmo, and the ability to count in Base 20, I've never had a problem -- nor wasted inordinate time -- getting a tire pumped up sufficiently.

otoh, the OP did specify "reliable" and every one of my Road Morphs has crapped the bed after only 3 or 4 years. Topeak happily replaces them, which is nice, but I'd still rather have a well-built product than a contrite customer service department.

Sierra
07-14-2016, 08:18 AM
I'm a fool for aesthetics. The Lezyne is just so sleek and beautiful! Who cares if it works or not? If I flat, I just call the Team Car.

David Tollefson
07-14-2016, 09:08 AM
I've had 4 Blackburn Airstick pumps in the last... 25 years? The first I lost, the 2nd and third were destroyed from road spray (I swore off the flame clips finally). The fourth just seized on me Monday. Fortunately I'd already inflated my tire to an acceptable level to get home before it did.

I promptly ordered a Pocket Impero, which just arrived last night. Yes, it's heavier, but it's also constructed to never have the heat issues that caused my last Airstick to self-detonate. I suspect the Silca will be passed on to my future generations in my will (along with my now-20-year-old Silca track pump, which sees daily use).

benb
07-14-2016, 10:24 AM
Huh.. I bought my Lezyne about 3 years ago, it came with the hose with the pressure release valve back then. I wouldn't have thought that was a new design.

I want to say I had valve stem start to unscrew once but was able to save it without issue, as soon as I saw it was coming loose I just tightened everything up very good by twisting the pump head in the other direction and then started over, that time the pump broke free of the valve stem first and the valve stem didn't unscrew.

Dirtdiggler
07-14-2016, 10:51 AM
As nutty as this.. this pump is awesome and beats my lezyne and Spec pump.
My buddy received it as a gift from his family and I laughed until I tried it and ran not walked to a Walmart and bought one.

Its a Schwinn EZ pump.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/34719074?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227023902499&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40334846672&wl4=pla-64050305455&wl5=9015338&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=34719074&wl13=&veh=sem

http://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/5b01f753-ecfa-4727-8e29-9b269fe6d1f8_1.fdb2a743462092e162025297875274f7.jp eg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

ripvanrando
07-14-2016, 11:28 AM
On my recent transam bike race two out of four schwalbe ev tubes had slow leaks at the seams requiring topping off with air at least three times per day with a mini lezyne pump. In my brilliance I had switched from my normal challenge latex tubes because I did not was to pump the compass Jon Bon tires every other day. The casings ruptured on two of my three compass tires and had a lot of flats thru boots of various construction. Although I had never unscrewed the valve on a challenge tube I soon found the schwalbe cores to come out after 550 strokes. Every time. I can confirm removing the hose from the pump and gingerly unscrewing it from the valve will not dislodge the valve core. I suppose I used this process 200 times without a single core being removed. Removing the hose while attached to the pump might have been 50/50 with the leaky miserible schwalbe ev tubes

chiasticon
07-14-2016, 04:05 PM
it seems like you had a combination of bad luck and user error there. I wouldn't ditch a perfectly good pump because of it. I would ditch the brand of tube that wouldn't inflate when brand new first. however, you should purchase the aftermarket ABS hose.

it is a good pump, seriously. give it some test runs at home and figure out what you did wrong. better to fail there than out on the road. grab some needle nose pliers or a valve stem tool and pre-tighten your spare so it's good to go. or carry a valve tool with you. failing that, the chain tool on lezyne's multitools doubles as a valve stem tool (if you have one).

I feel your pain though. I went through this with the Road Drive once on a winter day (around 35 degrees out). replaced tube and pumped it all the way up, pulled the hose off and the valve stem went flying. thing is I knew better and HAD practiced, I was just in a hurry due to the cold and forgot. now I try to concentrate on what I'm doing a little better :)

drewellison
07-14-2016, 04:19 PM
I had the issue with my Lezyne mini pump - the valve core was factory tight (Conti tubes with removable valve cores) meaning just tight enough to keep from leaking. And then I tried pumping with a Lezyne with a screw on valve. And didn't release the pressure in the hose first. It unscrewed the valve core every time.

Now I always snug up my valve cores with a little adjustable spanner whenever I put a tube in a tire. And now I know to unscrew the pump from the hose first to release the pressure in the how before unscrewing.

Pastashop
07-16-2016, 09:12 PM
Unless there is a physiological reason that would preclude one from using a conventional road frame pump, a bit of technique could go a long way to avoid bent or yanked valves or cores.

Using a Silca or a Zefal HP-X, once the chuck is on, support that (distal) end of the pump with your index finger wrapped around the distal end, thumb wrapped around the tire, and the middle, ring, and pinky fingers cradling the distal end around the bottom, opposite the valve. Pump away, working against your hand, rather than letting the pump push the valve stem around. You can use your knee to support the hand doing the holding, if need be.

...someone turn off the mic before I start in on downtube shifters...

foo_fighter
07-16-2016, 09:36 PM
That honestly looks pretty cool for use as a travel pump and stashing in an S&S case. Can it get up to 100psi?

My buddy received it as a gift from his family and I laughed until I tried it and ran not walked to a Walmart and bought one.

Its a Schwinn EZ pump.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/34719074?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227023902499&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40334846672&wl4=pla-64050305455&wl5=9015338&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=34719074&wl13=&veh=sem

http://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/5b01f753-ecfa-4727-8e29-9b269fe6d1f8_1.fdb2a743462092e162025297875274f7.jp eg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

oldpotatoe
07-17-2016, 05:26 AM

Its a Schwinn EZ pump.

ya gonna carry that thing on the bike? "Need a new On Bike pump-not Lezyne"

foo_fighter
07-17-2016, 11:45 AM
It doesn't look bad to carry actually. Similar to a topeak road morph:
http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/n-ww20x/hoveooj/products/128/images/366/PMP_SW77683_3_PD1__01695.1398276583.1280.1280.jpg? c=2

melac1
07-18-2016, 10:05 PM
I'm a big fan of the zefal air profile micro.

jruhlen1980
07-19-2016, 08:36 AM
My topeak frame pump is still in a pasture somewhere after I double flatted and discovered that it no longer worked, apparently it couldn't handle being ridden in rain and/or gravel.

I got the Lezyne and practiced with it before I had to use it in the real world, which is how I figured out the whole letting-the-pressure-out before unscrewing it thing. I'm glad I practiced, I'm not sure I would've figured that out on the road.

559Rando
07-19-2016, 12:43 PM
How about a good ol' Zefal frame pump?

http://biketouringnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/tiretools-008.jpg

R3awak3n
07-19-2016, 12:52 PM
topeak master blaster frame pump. Cheap, works great and frame pumps are the best. burn all mini pumps

Pastashop
07-19-2016, 04:34 PM
How about a good ol' Zefal frame pump?

http://biketouringnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/tiretools-008.jpg

Nice Homer!

Pro tip, y'all: put some beeswax onto the seatpost binder slot to keep water from getting in. Then again, if you're riding in CA or have fenders, it's a non-issue. :-)

eric01
07-21-2016, 11:53 PM
I know you said "not lezyne", but from my experience, their warranty service / customer service is exemplary. Had a couple issues and they cleared up right and quick

marciero
07-22-2016, 06:44 AM
Unless there is a physiological reason that would preclude one from using a conventional road frame pump, a bit of technique could go a long way to avoid bent or yanked valves or cores.

Using a Silca or a Zefal HP-X, once the chuck is on, support that (distal) end of the pump with your index finger wrapped around the distal end, thumb wrapped around the tire, and the middle, ring, and pinky fingers cradling the distal end around the bottom, opposite the valve. Pump away, working against your hand, rather than letting the pump push the valve stem around. You can use your knee to support the hand doing the holding, if need be.

...someone turn off the mic before I start in on downtube shifters...

I use tire levers to support the end of a "conventional" frame pump-Topeak on a couple of bikes. Typically two of the stacked Pedros-type wide and thick levers on the ground underneath the pump head with the rim lying flat on the ground. I can flail away on the pump and the valve does not budge.

alyosha_s
08-01-2016, 09:49 PM
silca or topeak

chiasticon
08-02-2016, 07:19 AM
I use tire levers to support the end of a "conventional" frame pump-Topeak on a couple of bikes. Typically two of the stacked Pedros-type wide and thick levers on the ground underneath the pump head with the rim lying flat on the ground. I can flail away on the pump and the valve does not budge.your foot works for this as well. I usually start with the wheel standing up, as Pastashop described. then once pressure builds and pumping gets more difficult, lay it down, put my foot under the valve and pretend I'm using a floor pump.

ripvanrando
08-02-2016, 07:38 AM
I just purchased another mini pump that is similar to the Lezyne except it has a pressure gauge built into the hose making the overall package reasonably svelte.

"Mini Bike Pump with Gauge by PRO BIKE TOOL"

weisan
08-02-2016, 09:22 AM
Conducting my own little frame pump shootout here in just a minute....:rolleyes:

weisan
08-02-2016, 09:40 AM
OK, just ran through them all.
Conclusion: They will all get you home.

Practice once or twice, learn how to use it, every pump behaves a little bit different.

No free lunch.

"Best" performance, no doubt, comes from full or fuller size frame pumps like the Topeak or Zefal. The smaller Lezyne comes with a bit of compromise, requires more strokes but the screw-in flexible hose is nice as you don't have to fumble with the wheel in front of your girlfriend or the damsel in distress you are helping on the road... You can focus your eyes on her while pumping and flexing your muscle.

That's all I got... from an average Joe perspective, not some fancy full page review article you find in a mag.