PDA

View Full Version : For Gravel Grinding...or just getting smooth - Lauf Forks

William
07-13-2016, 12:51 PM
Any of the Paceliners out there ever give these things a go?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5OnKtZnqQg

William

ColonelJLloyd
07-13-2016, 02:28 PM
I'm considering the Lauf Trail fork for an upcoming hardtail build. Originally I was just going to use a rigid carbon fork, but folks have told me I'm really going to want some suspension. The 29er version of this fork weighs under a kilogram. I'd be interested to hear from any users. Yes, they are ugly. I don't really care.

p nut
07-13-2016, 02:38 PM
I'm considering the Lauf Trail fork for an upcoming hardtail build. Originally I was just going to use a rigid carbon fork, but folks have told me I'm really going to want some suspension. The 29er version of this fork weighs under a kilogram. I'd be interested to hear from any users. Yes, they are ugly. I don't really care.

I ride rigid only, even out here in the rockies, so may be biased, but have you considered pairing the carbon fork with a Plus tire up front? Light, wide rims (some pretty cheap like the new Flow MK3) paired with something like a Bontrager Chupacabra may do the trick.

Never ridden a Lauf personally, but heard good things. I personally don't see a need, considering the minimal amount of travel, much of which can be attained by a fatter tire.

pasadena
07-13-2016, 02:42 PM
My buddy's Lauf fork
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCzBNCrEts9/?taken-by=paintlab

really lightweight and worth it if you can afford one.
There are a couple weight ratings, so pick accordingly

guido
07-13-2016, 02:45 PM
Josh Kato was using one on the Tour Divide this year. He was happy with it (even though it did not repel trucks) and plans to use it again next year...

Kato said in an interview I read that it handles washboard roads better than anything else he has tried...

oldpotatoe
07-13-2016, 04:33 PM
Saw a fat bike the other day with one, ugly got uglier...but I guess that work, ain't cheap.

bcroslin
07-13-2016, 04:55 PM
They give one away every year at the Austin Rattler and the consensus is that even though they work no one wants to be seen on one.

dustyrider
07-13-2016, 05:46 PM
I feel like it's on backwards.

William
07-13-2016, 06:21 PM
I could deal with the looks if they ride well.

William

Ronsonic
07-13-2016, 10:02 PM
I rode a Girvin for way past it's sell-by date. Not as light and only a little more travel than the Lauf. I'm interested. Mostly, I just want a fork to take the edge off the roots on the trail, don't need much travel from it. Just want enough to keep the tire from being upset by the bumps and washboardy stuff. This looks like it would be nice on a super-light carbon build.

pdmtong
07-14-2016, 12:17 AM
I saw one at sea otter. it is even uglier in person.

bring back the lenz or the mantis

ColonelJLloyd
07-14-2016, 11:29 AM
I ride rigid only, even out here in the rockies, so may be biased, but have you considered pairing the carbon fork with a Plus tire up front? Light, wide rims (some pretty cheap like the new Flow MK3) paired with something like a Bontrager Chupacabra may do the trick.

I have given it thought, yes. Going with a Whisky 9 would allow a 29x3.0 in the front.

jruhlen1980
07-14-2016, 01:31 PM
I think Neil Shirley was going to ride one at the Dirty Kanza this year, but I never saw it. Probably because I was 2.5 hours behind him. Evidently he finished.

Dirtdiggler
07-14-2016, 02:37 PM
I rode one last weekend. It was mounted on a Salsa Mukluk. True it does look funky, but same can be said for the Lawwill Leader fork (w/shock). Now it tracked well and no stiction because of the design. It does expose to ''peddle bob'' when you get out of the saddle and start mashing. There is no tuneability, so no rebound or damping. I don't know in time if those plates will wear and loose its ''flatness''.
Still a cool lightweight fork.