PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Edge/Edge Explore 820

chriscap
07-13-2016, 12:06 PM
Garmin announced 2 new units to update their 800 line today - the Edge 820 and Edge Explore 820.

Love the size of these units - curious how usable the maps will be on a screen that size. Battery Save mode is a pretty nice feature if it works well. Hopefully it will make it into some other units in a future update.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/general/announcement-edge-820-edge-explore-820/

DCRainmaker hands-on:
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/07/garmin-edge-820.html

gone
07-13-2016, 06:00 PM
As is typical of Garmin, they introduce a number of features of questionable utility (virtual partner, anyone?), get them about 90% working and then move on. I'd imagine this has all of the well known bugs and idiosyncrasies of every other unit they've introduced.

And just so this isn't taken as a rant without substance, I've given Garmin upwards of $10K over the years between autos, motorcycles, bicycles and associated software "upgrades". The Garmin 1000 has exactly the same bugs that the Streetpilot 1 circa mid-90's had.

Gee, now I get to track my "mob" and see where they are. Great stuff! Any other worthless features? How about something useful like a unit that you can conveniently charge while riding using a standard mount? How about one that doesn't crash when a route file is "too large". How about one that doesn't crash at 220 miles?

Nah, let's just introduce more crap.

Pass, thanks.

Greg

berserk87
07-13-2016, 06:19 PM
As is typical of Garmin, they introduce a number of features of questionable utility (virtual partner, anyone?), get them about 90% working and then move on. I'd imagine this has all of the well known bugs and idiosyncrasies of every other unit they've introduced.

And just so this isn't taken as a rant without substance, I've given Garmin upwards of $10K over the years between autos, motorcycles, bicycles and associated software "upgrades". The Garmin 1000 has exactly the same bugs that the Streetpilot 1 circa mid-90's had.

Gee, now I get to track my "mob" and see where they are. Great stuff! Any other worthless features? How about something useful like a unit that you can conveniently charge while riding using a standard mount? How about one that doesn't crash when a route file is "too large". How about one that doesn't crash at 220 miles?

Nah, let's just introduce more crap.

Pass, thanks.

Greg

That is a laundry list of legitimate gripes. I would be upset too.

Why not just bag on their products altogether? I don't ride with GPS so I am a tad ignorant on the topic, but aren't there choices out there outside of Garmin?

gone
07-13-2016, 06:25 PM
Why not just bag on their products altogether?
That is precisely what I've done. I wouldn't buy a bucket of water from Garmin if I was on fire.

adub
07-13-2016, 06:31 PM
Lets see;

-Less battery life
-More expensive
-90% of "new" features I'd never use

Still no reason to upgrade from my 500

MaraudingWalrus
07-13-2016, 06:56 PM
Had an interesting phone conversation with a company that has a few GPS units out already. I quite like the one that I have from them. They're allegedly revamping their entire line in the next month or so. Perhaps along with their own sensors, and wearables to follow.

There are alternatives to garmin. and they're about to get better.

stephenmarklay
07-13-2016, 07:22 PM
I have never had any problems with my 500. I think GPS mapping etc would be very useful.

PaulE
07-13-2016, 07:53 PM
Had an interesting phone conversation with a company that has a few GPS units out already. I quite like the one that I have from them. They're allegedly revamping their entire line in the next month or so. Perhaps along with their own sensors, and wearables to follow.

There are alternatives to garmin. and they're about to get better.

I've ridden with lots of people that have Garmin GPS units with mapping. I only know of one person who has been able to make his unit work pretty reliably. Everyone else also has some kind of issue, the GPS sending us in the wrong direction, freezing or losing its signal. I'm interested in getting a GPS unit but I want one that works as reliably as a car GPS and takes me back to my route if I go off course.

So if there's something else besides Garmin I'd take a look at it.

christian
07-13-2016, 07:58 PM
My 500 still works well. None of the subsequent iterations have made me want one at all.

buddybikes
07-13-2016, 08:38 PM

There are alternatives to garmin. and they're about to get better

>>>Why the big secret?