PDA

View Full Version : When will SRAM intro Force E-Tap?

Clancy
07-13-2016, 11:01 AM
Any leaked news yet or predictions?

All I know is once E-Tap comes down to the Force level, I'm buying!

sweet_johnny
07-13-2016, 11:41 AM
I was JUST thinking about this today. I found this (https://sramroadsupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/207292587-Will-there-be-a-Force-eTap-option-) on a quick google search.

topflightpro
07-13-2016, 12:00 PM
Red eTap is hardly mainstream yet. They're still barely able to keep it in stock anywhere.

I'd guess there won't be a Force eTap announced until late 2017 at the earliest.

ghammer
07-13-2016, 12:30 PM
it might take a while, fellas. Just now shimano di2 is going the 105 route, to be released later this year. Although sram has moved in a much nimbler manner, i wouldn't hold my breath till mid next year at the earliest.

adrien
07-13-2016, 12:34 PM
Red eTap is hardly mainstream yet. They're still barely able to keep it in stock anywhere.

I'd guess there won't be a Force eTap announced until late 2017 at the earliest.

Which means they should economically fill that market before going after more at the Force level. My gut is 2017, inter bike

chiasticon
07-13-2016, 04:38 PM
it might take a while, fellas. Just now shimano di2 is going the 105 route, to be released later this year.not really a fair comparison. 105 is third-tier Shimano, Force is second-tier Sram. more fair: it took two years (2009-2011) for Shimano to release DuraAce and then Ultegra di2. so my guess is what someone above said: sometime in 2017 we'll see Force level eTap.

I too will buy it when it's released :beer:

Dave B
07-13-2016, 05:07 PM
Put it on their mtb stuff and now we are talking!

dustyrider
07-13-2016, 05:43 PM
Put it on their mtb stuff and now we are talking!

Kinda feel like we'll see this next before a lower price point. Eagle starts with an....e. Also, bikes still have the ugly electric shifter routing holes in them!;)

bfd
07-13-2016, 05:46 PM
This is interesting. I thought the next evolution for Sram was to come out with Red etap with hydraulic disc brakes for 2017? If everything is going to disc brakes, this would seem the logical path.

Of course, if they can ramp up production, offering a Force etap would get etap to the market faster at a lower price point and result in more revenue.

Or maybe they can do both - Red etap with hydro disc brakes and Force etap for regular caliper brakes.

Good Luck!

adub
07-13-2016, 06:38 PM
Why wait for technology to trickle down, go buy an etap groupset now!

bikinchris
07-13-2016, 09:09 PM
"I would buy a 2 x 11 speed MTB group that works with their road shifters for my S&S coupled touring bike. Also, I bet a lot of tandem riders are waiting for that also."

Me too. My coupled touring bike would love that. 2x11 would be fine.

sw3759
07-13-2016, 10:48 PM
it might take a while, fellas. Just now shimano di2 is going the 105 route, to be released later this year. Although sram has moved in a much nimbler manner, i wouldn't hold my breath till mid next year at the earliest.

sorry for the drift..but 105 di2 is news to me.where was this announced ?? did I miss this or is this just someones speculation ?

ultraman6970
07-13-2016, 11:06 PM
IMO and based in all the comments about sram road stuff, their "we are here to stay in the road" statement would be super backed up if they roll out e-tap all the way down their line up. I dont see why they need to produce (new models, just keep producing what they have for a few years) mechanical anymore, looks like the electronic stuff works just fine, so why not just continue that path?

Shimano will freak out because something like this will bring a lot of new costumers like me, that think that wireless is the way to go. Campagnolo probably will answer with a new mechanical group or some non sense coming out of Andy Warhol's marketing research based in a small city in the lands of wonderland.

John H.
07-14-2016, 10:54 AM
My guess is that they will make Wi-Fli Etap, Hydraulic Etap and even mtb Etap before they worry about making less expensive Etap.

vqdriver
07-14-2016, 12:59 PM
I don't doubt that a lower level etap is in the works.
no reason why red hydro etap and force etap can't be released the same year. wifli etap could make its debut with the force line.
more than all of that tho, i'd like to see year 2 etap when they've got whatever bugs worked out. especially interested to know what, exactly, can be updated/customized with firmware.

shimano's rollout of di2, with the orphaned DA7970 group, left me gunshy

chiasticon
07-14-2016, 04:51 PM
no reason why red hydro etap and force etap can't be released the same year. wifli etap could make its debut with the force line.I forgot that the prototypes for hydro have been seen in the wild already. so I'm guessing that comes out first and then Force later (maybe same year). and when Force comes, you'll see wifli and 1X options with it. at that point, it's mostly trickle-down from Red for them, with minor tweaks.

Clancy
09-07-2017, 01:32 PM
Bumping this up....

Wondering with Eurobike over, anyone hear/know anything?

ORMojo
09-07-2017, 01:50 PM
I think we are likely still about a year (or more) away from a possible Force etap option. Road.cc states that SRAM is "working to deliver RED eTAP HRD, the disc brake version of its wireless groupset, to market for 2018" . . . and then we can start to hope for Force etap.

But I would love to see it sooner!

crankles
09-07-2017, 02:49 PM
I think we are likely still about a year (or more) away from a possible Force etap option. Road.cc states that SRAM is "working to deliver RED eTAP HRD, the disc brake version of its wireless groupset, to market for 2018" . . . and then we can start to hope for Force etap.

But I would love to see it sooner!

I'll post a pic tomorrow!

sparky33
09-07-2017, 03:14 PM
when Force comes, you'll see wifli and 1X options with it. at that point, it's mostly trickle-down from Red for them, with minor tweaks.

It sounds like they have their hands full meeting eTap HRD demand still, but I suspect there is huge demand for a clutch 1x eTap derailleur with all the gravel and 1x fervor. It would be a hefty derailleur. I still want one.

ltwtsculler91
09-08-2017, 08:20 AM
It sounds like they have their hands full meeting eTap HRD demand still, but I suspect there is huge demand for a clutch 1x eTap derailleur with all the gravel and 1x fervor. It would be a hefty derailleur. I still want one.

I only question if 1x eTap would be a step back. I'm running mechanical Red22 and Force22 on my two road bikes and Force1 on my cross/gravel bike. I went all mechanical to make sure I had the same shifting on all my bikes, but have ridden eTap a decent bit and like it...

Part of the big appeal of 1x is that you now only have one shifter. Adding back the left hand for eTap is a bit of a downgrade I'd think as you're now back to two paddles. For MTB eTap I could see it working since you only have one shifter pod on the right side can can convert each level to a button, but I'm not sure how you work around that with road shift levers on a gravel/cross bike 1x

sparky33
09-08-2017, 08:35 AM
I only question if 1x eTap would be a step back....
Part of the big appeal of 1x is that you now only have one shifter. Adding back the left hand for eTap is a bit of a downgrade I'd think as you're now back to two paddles. For MTB eTap I could see it working since you only have one shifter pod on the right side can can convert each level to a button, but I'm not sure how you work around that with road shift levers on a gravel/cross bike 1x

This is a fair point, and I agree mostly. One shifter and one cable is about as simple as it gets. It works well. Also, it does seem a little silly to put a spendy complicated mechanism+battery at the rear drop out where there is a decent chance of it getting mangled in a cx or gravel event. My cross racing bike is perfect with mechanical CX1.

That said, it would be cool to have zero shift cables on a filthy bike, especially when gravel bikes are some of the most tricked-out machines we see these days.

ptourkin
09-08-2017, 08:43 AM
This is interesting. I thought the next evolution for Sram was to come out with Red etap with hydraulic disc brakes for 2017? If everything is going to disc brakes, this would seem the logical path.

Of course, if they can ramp up production, offering a Force etap would get etap to the market faster at a lower price point and result in more revenue.

Or maybe they can do both - Red etap with hydro disc brakes and Force etap for regular caliper brakes.

Good Luck!

ETap HRD (hydro) is out. My friend is riding it on a Canyon and loves it.

oldpotatoe
09-08-2017, 10:32 AM
I only question if 1x eTap would be a step back. I'm running mechanical Red22 and Force22 on my two road bikes and Force1 on my cross/gravel bike. I went all mechanical to make sure I had the same shifting on all my bikes, but have ridden eTap a decent bit and like it...

Why not a setup like XTR/di2? No LH shifter, program shift points for front der. AND have 2 rings so you have the gearing for up and down hill and no yuge gaps in cogset.:)

ltwtsculler91
09-08-2017, 11:14 AM
Why not a setup like XTR/di2? No LH shifter, program shift points for front der. AND have 2 rings so you have the gearing for up and down hill and no yuge gaps in cogset.:)

It could work, but eTap is LH Paddle up cassette, RH Paddle down the cassette, so you'd still need two shift paddles as opposed to one RH shifter with doubletap on Force1

To me, if you're going eTap you might as well include the FD (even for Gravel) and get the tighter gaps on your cassette. That said, the clutched derailleur is amazing on the rough stuff but I see plenty of gravel bikes with Di2 or mechanical Shimano and don't hear tons about dropped chains

oldpotatoe
09-08-2017, 01:24 PM
It could work, but eTap is LH Paddle up cassette, RH Paddle down the cassette, so you'd still need two shift paddles as opposed to one RH shifter with doubletap on Force1

To me, if you're going eTap you might as well include the FD (even for Gravel) and get the tighter gaps on your cassette. That said, the clutched derailleur is amazing on the rough stuff but I see plenty of gravel bikes with Di2 or mechanical Shimano and don't hear tons about dropped chains

I know, I was 'assuming' no sram if the 'no LH shifter' was the 'advantage'(ohh, no, 2 paddles!!)...

BUT, sorry, don't get the 1by 'trend'...either go up or down well, yuge gaps(10-42???YGBSM)..even sram front ders work pretty well..di2 is flawless..

1by=specific front CR(with a stash of spares for gearing changes), clutch rear der..seems more simple to just have a front der...XTR/Di2, 'smart' front der just icing..IMHO..

ColonelJLloyd
09-08-2017, 01:31 PM
BUT, sorry, don't get the 1by 'trend'...either go up or down well, yuge gaps(10-42???YGBSM)..even sram front ders work pretty well..di2 is flawless..

I agree with you. Except on MTBs. FDs on MTBs are going the way of the dodo.

ltwtsculler91
09-08-2017, 02:17 PM
I know, I was 'assuming' no sram if the 'no LH shifter' was the 'advantage'(ohh, no, 2 paddles!!)...

1by=specific front CR(with a stash of spares for gearing changes), clutch rear der..seems more simple to just have a front der...XTR/Di2, 'smart' front der just icing..IMHO..

I mean, I don't disagree with that. Having two shifters isn't really a problem. I just feel like with 1x I can have a solid gear range without crazy gaps (I run 42t front, 11-32 rear) on my cross bike and under pressure don't need to worry about optimizing ratio by flipping two levers: its just harder or easier.

I think this stands out more on gravel/cross for me where there's just a lot more going on and the clutch rear is AWESOME along with the front ring at keeping the chain solidly locked in and shifting clean no matter what.

All that said, my MTB (a fat bike) has an FD and is 2x10, so what do I know?