PDA

View Full Version : dura-ace 9100 pedals

AngryScientist
07-13-2016, 09:47 AM
spd-sl's are my preferred road pedal. looks like for the 9100 update the replaceable metal base plate is gone in favor of three contact point metal plates. interesting.

i've got a lot of miles on DA pedals and have yet to need to replace the metal plate on any of them. has anyone here "worn out" a dura ace metal plate? probably a non issue since shimano is apparently ditching them.

http://images.cyclingtips.com/content/uploads/2016/06/Shimano-dura-ace-9100-pedal.jpg

lookout2015
07-13-2016, 09:55 AM
Midlevel product person: "Hey, we're not getting much revenue from those SPD-SL plates. Quick, some one have engineering change the design so they fail more" :banana:

Cicli
07-13-2016, 10:17 AM
I will bet people buy the latest and greatest before they wear out. Then the used ones get relagated to secondary bikes or tossed in a drawer somewhere. Further reducing the chance of wearing out.

cmbicycles
07-13-2016, 10:55 AM
The cleats are plastic so I would highly doubt those plates see much wear.

Clancy
07-13-2016, 10:58 AM
No, I've not worn out the metal plates. Obviously Shimano changed the design to reflect that they do not wear out and do not need to be replaceable.

There are far less expensive pedals and ones that are lighter, but in my mind, Shimano are the best. I ride the Ultegras since the weight difference is negligible. I am guessing the new design will trickle down?

tumbler
07-13-2016, 11:17 AM
But they are 0.05401 lbs lighter!!!!

Look585
07-13-2016, 11:22 AM
The "loop" at the front of the pedal wears long before the stainless contact plate. I have some old 7810s (the aluminum ones) that are pretty sloppy from riding yellow rotational cleats in wet/sandy conditions. The blue cleats seem to function a bit better in this regard as there is less movement at the cleat/loop interface.

All that said, SPD-SL are a frustratingly durable product. It is very hard to justify upgrading due to wearing them out. ;)

jwess1234
07-13-2016, 11:34 AM
The "loop" at the front of the pedal wears long before the stainless contact plate. I have some old 7810s (the aluminum ones) that are pretty sloppy from riding yellow rotational cleats in wet/sandy conditions. The blue cleats seem to function a bit better in this regard as there is less movement at the cleat/loop interface.

All that said, SPD-SL are a frustratingly durable product. It is very hard to justify upgrading due to wearing them out. ;)

This question has been on my mind a while actually. How do you know when the pedal (either front loop or back ledge mechanism) is worn out and time to replace the pedal? I have around 15,000 miles on my 105 5700 gen--they feel a bit loose (yellow cleats), but don't know if they should actually be replaced.

07-13-2016, 11:39 AM
Usually you replace the cleats and you're good. You may have to replace cleats more often as the pedals get old, but I've never seen ones that really wore out. Use the one-degree blue cleats instead of the yellow ones and you'll restore some sense of precision.

It's not the pedals but the grit that gets trapped that wears the pedals out, but as many have already said, these pedals are pretty much bulletproof. I think the screw-on metal plate was a carry-over from the alloy pedals where it had to be attached that way. Shimano is getting smarter at using CF and the pedals show it. That's all. No hidden plot here.

And I'd certainly vote for SPD-SL's as the best pedal out there. Hands down, in every regard.

Jgrooms
07-13-2016, 11:46 AM
Are they lighter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngryScientist
07-13-2016, 12:10 PM
And I'd certainly vote for SPD-SL's as the best pedal out there. Hands down, in every regard.

agreed 100%

AngryScientist
07-13-2016, 12:12 PM
I ride the Ultegras since the weight difference is negligible.

the weight is not the difference between DA and Ultegra pedals. the bearings just feel so much nicer in the DA pedals, it's a very real difference.

of course, operationally, the ultegra level pedals work just fine, but there is no question that the DA pedals have better bearings.

soulspinner
07-13-2016, 12:43 PM
My 5000 mile Keo blade deux wont move when I unclip. Thought it would get better. I think this is two sets of Looks since 1989 that have been shapoopy. Interested to hear about the 9100 pedals............

avalonracing
07-13-2016, 12:47 PM
Game changer. All previous styles are worthless. :rolleyes:

MadRocketSci
07-13-2016, 01:16 PM
one of my metal plates fell off, i never replaced it...

Look585
07-13-2016, 01:27 PM
This question has been on my mind a while actually. How do you know when the pedal (either front loop or back ledge mechanism) is worn out and time to replace the pedal? I have around 15,000 miles on my 105 5700 gen--they feel a bit loose (yellow cleats), but don't know if they should actually be replaced.

Mine just got progressively sloppy and loose. Blue cleats are more positive engagement, but I finally retired them. They definitely served their useful life, times 3.

If you look at the underside of the loop, where the "toe" of the cleat engages, you'll likely see a distinctly worn area.

Satellite
07-13-2016, 02:45 PM
But they are 0.05401 lbs lighter!!!!

Oh but wait it's rotational weight so you actually saved 0.05500 lbs!!!!

rnhood
07-13-2016, 03:08 PM
agreed 100%

+2

I can't imagine a better pedal. Its one of those few cycling products that like a perfectly fitting shoe, searching for something better will always end in vain.

saab2000
07-13-2016, 03:13 PM
I think these pedals are designed to have the right combination of stiffness and road damping in the dual material design. The titanium plates add stiffness for better power transfer between the shoe and the pedal and the carbon main body helps damp out road buzz.

These pedals are individually handcrafted in our workshop for our customers using only fair trade metals and material sourced from conflict-free carbon fiber mines.

MSPR is only $1999.00

PaulE
07-13-2016, 03:17 PM
To me it means I should probably buy a spare set of the 9000 pedals while they are on sale!

As for Ultegra vs Dura Ace bearings and smoothness, I know the Dura Ace have a different design with more bearings. But I wonder how much of the difference in feeling smoother bearings between the two is actually the bearings and how much of it is the drag of the seals. I have a set of Ultegra carbon pedals on one bike and a set of Dura Ace carbon pedals on another and both have about 1,000 miles on them, I will spin them in my hand and see if there is a noticeable difference.

54ny77
07-13-2016, 03:45 PM
was the titanium smelted in plants who use carbon offsets or renewable energy sources? that's important to me, because i prefer to curate products that are created in an earth-safe space.

I think these pedals are designed to have the right combination of stiffness and road damping in the dual material design. The titanium plates add stiffness for better power transfer between the shoe and the pedal and the carbon main body helps damp out road buzz.

These pedals are individually handcrafted in our workshop for our customers using only fair trade metals and material sourced from conflict-free carbon fiber mines.

MSPR is only $1999.00

saab2000
07-13-2016, 03:48 PM
Wouldn't have it any other way!

was the titanium smelted in plants who use carbon offsets or renewable energy sources? that's important to me, because i prefer to curate products that are created in an earth-safe space.

LegendRider
07-13-2016, 03:56 PM

MSPR is only $1999.00

I hope no children were involved with the manufacturing of my pedals. I'd feel horrible dropping freds while using immorally fabricated bike parts. ;)

07-13-2016, 10:52 PM
Guys, you can't have everything.

Carbon fiber doesn't come from mines. It comes from carbon produced by the cremation of endangered gopher rabbits in Tibet. If you want stiff pedal bodies, then suck it up.

The axles are machined using milling lubricants made from innocent baby orcas, and the machining is done by children in India who are trained in penury for years to meet the high standards set by users like you. The lubricants have already contaminated several major rivers and are showing up on the west coast of the US, carried there by water currents and identified readily by the octopi they kill and that float ashore on San Diego beaches where the local weight weenie crowd hang out with their Lightweight wheels.

So like I said, you want high quality pedals, enjoy them. But suck it up. We'll be talking tomorrow about how FMB tires are really made.

Cicli
07-14-2016, 05:04 AM
+2

I can't imagine a better pedal. Its one of those few cycling products that like a perfectly fitting shoe, searching for something better will always end in vain.

Thats whete I am at. I moved away from 105 pedals to Look, Time, speedplay amd landed on 9000's. They are here to stay.
My wife moved to clipless within a week of starting to ride. I just grabbed whatever cheapo SL's the bike MalWart had (read performance) and they are pretty good too. Just wont last as long.
They only keep getting better but older and or cheaper will work well too.

Cicli
07-14-2016, 05:07 AM
Guys, you can't have everything.

Carbon fiber doesn't come from mines. It comes from carbon produced by the cremation of endangered gopher rabbits in Tibet. If you want stiff pedal bodies, then suck it up.

The axles are machined using milling lubricants made from innocent baby orcas, and the machining is done by children in India who are trained in penury for years to meet the high standards set by users like you. The lubricants have already contaminated several major rivers and are showing up on the west coast of the US, carried there by water currents and identified readily by the octopi they kill and that float ashore on San Diego beaches where the local weight weenie crowd hang out with their Lightweight wheels.

So like I said, you want high quality pedals, enjoy them. But suck it up. We'll be talking tomorrow about how FMB tires are really made.

I will take them. PM coming. Anything to help my fat slow first world ass Get to the coffee shop to show off. :fight::banana:

oldpotatoe
07-14-2016, 05:31 AM
spd-sl's are my preferred road pedal. looks like for the 9100 update the replaceable metal base plate is gone in favor of three contact point metal plates. interesting.

i've got a lot of miles on DA pedals and have yet to need to replace the metal plate on any of them. has anyone here "worn out" a dura ace metal plate? probably a non issue since shimano is apparently ditching them.

http://images.cyclingtips.com/content/uploads/2016/06/Shimano-dura-ace-9100-pedal.jpg

Are those plates steel or aluminum? If steel, I doubt they will wear out..if aluminum..ala the dreaded LOOK 'creak'..But w/o the plate, probably cheaper to mold/make.