PDA

View Full Version : LOL eBay Specialized S-Works Tarmac's

Satellite
07-12-2016, 11:42 PM
With all the Pro Teams in the Tour riding S-Works Tarmac's I thought I would check some out.

I decided to take a peek at eBay.

I got a little chuckle of all the Tarmac's that are listed as New Never Ridden but almost every one of them has had the stem slammed and cut flush with top of the stem. If the bike was truly brand new why would the steer tube be cut? A few were uncut or at least a little bit of steer still showing.

I finally broke down and bought a Carbon Bike been riding high-end bikes since the early 80's. I bought a Colnago C50 and I will admit I do like it, but I think the wheels have a lot to do with that. I went High Zoot on the wheels too. ENVE4.5/KingR45's. I would like to swap the wheels over to the VaMoots SL sometime and see if it's the wheels vs frame material.

When I got my Serotta 7-11 Team bike (1985-1986) I really wanted a Specialized Team Allez. Albeit the Serotta was an excellent choice NO regrets and all.

Anyways thread drift (on my own thread) what say the group about the Specialized S-Works Tarmac's. Of those that have tried the Tarmac did it Win you over or was it just Meh?

rnhood
07-13-2016, 04:55 AM
I have an S-Works Tarmac that I purchased new, have right at 55k miles on it now. Its my favorite bike by a long shot. I have not ridden anything that I like better overall.

tlittlefield
07-13-2016, 07:56 AM
I have a 2011 Tarmac Expert that I have had since it was new. Has taken everything that I have asked of it and then more.

eippo1
07-13-2016, 10:39 AM
Loved my 2011 Tarmac Pro. Just wanted to try TI and am glad I did.

topflightpro
07-13-2016, 10:53 AM
My wife has a 2010 Tarmac and a 2013 Amira.

The Tarmac had kind of been in storage the last few years, but we got it back working again as she needed a second bike. Anyway, after riding the Tarmac again, she commented how much she like the Tarmac over the Amira.

It kind of surprised me.

adrien
07-13-2016, 12:07 PM
I finally broke down and bought a Carbon Bike been riding high-end bikes since the early 80's. I bought a Colnago C50 and I will admit I do like it, but I think the wheels have a lot to do with that. I went High Zoot on the wheels too. ENVE4.5/KingR45's. I would like to swap the wheels over to the VaMoots SL sometime and see if it's the wheels vs frame material.
[/I][/B]

I'd venture to say 90% of it is.

christian
07-13-2016, 01:04 PM
I rode a S-Works Tarmac SL4. I didn't like the steering geometry quite as well as my Colnago Extreme Power, but I would have no problem living with a Tarmac as my only road bike.

54ny77
07-13-2016, 01:34 PM
Agreed. To me, the Tarmac is quick(er) and fairly sensitive to steering inputs compared to other rigs I ride--or at least my 54 is.

That said, I enjoy mine (SL2, which is 41% less better than an SL5) and adjust my brain to how it handles. Have had it plenty fast and at speed it handles very well, feels firmly planted. The bike certainly does not slow me down; my fat arse does that job all by itself.

I rode a S-Works Tarmac SL4. I didn't like the steering geometry quite as well as my Colnago Extreme Power, but I would have no problem living with a Tarmac as my only road bike.

JonB
07-13-2016, 02:40 PM
I have an 2015 58cm S-Works Tarmac and its a fantastic race / crit bike. However, I prefer the Venge for regular group rides / Tuesday night worlds.

Satellite
07-13-2016, 09:22 PM

I'd venture to say 90% of it is.

I am NOT saying the C50 is better than the VaMoots, but different. I don't have enough miles on the C50 to say how they are different yet and I am still working on some fit issues on the C50.

If the wheels were easier to swap over I would do it for tomorrow's commute but I have to swap out the brake pads too. I might start the search for some ENVE Tubular 2.2's for the mountains around here. They would complement the VaMoots very nicely.

The intent of my original thread was just to point out the humor in the number of Tarmac eBay auctions that said the bikes were new and un-ridden but the stems slammed and the steer tubes cut. I have ~54 miles on my C50 I bought used and had restored and my steer tube still has tons of spacer above and below the stem until I figure out exactly where I want my bars even then I probably won't cut the steer tube. I am getting older and don't know how many more years I will be riding. Yet these brand new machines have the stem slammed and steer tubes cut.

With everyone's comments I am intrigued and would love to ride a Tarmac some day. I am surprised at the number of pro teams riding the same bike. I guess the big S has tons of money to throw at the teams to ride their bikes. But they are winning so maybe the Pro teams seek them out.

Ti Designs
07-15-2016, 07:08 AM
The Tarmac is impressive in that they started with a good design for a full carbon frame, and they've only had 5 generations since then. Unlike most companies, they don't change the frame every year, they just bring higher performance levels down to the lower price ranges. Look at the lack of tooling costs from one year to the next and you start to understand who an S-Works frame is half the cost of many other high end frames...

The cost and the fact that they're the big name also works against them. One of my co-workers calls them "the Ford of the bike industry" (He has a Pinarello and a BMC, both far more expensive than an S-Works) because they're "crit bikes" and they don't do other things well. That's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard. How a bike handles is 95% rider, the Tarmac happens to be sharp enough handling to satisfy riders with the best handling skills. The concept that they don't know how to build a bike that does more is just stupid. Do you honestly think that the design department at Specialized doesn't know the geometry and tubing of every other bike out there? They can make what they want, they have chosen slow, steady progress.

The reason you see so many Tarmacs on eBay is really their strength. The only carbon frame that's been tested more is the Roubaix. Specialized cranked out 4 seasons of SL4 frames, with an exceptionally low failure rate. That's because it was built from the SL3 platform, which also had very few failures. By comparison, most companies change their frame every season or two. People want something new - it's probably not better, it's just new. If you need something that other people don't have, the Tarmac isn't for you...

oldpotatoe
07-15-2016, 07:31 AM
The Tarmac is impressive in that they started with a good design for a full carbon frame, and they've only had 5 generations since then. Unlike most companies, they don't change the frame every year, they just bring higher performance levels down to the lower price ranges. Look at the lack of tooling costs from one year to the next and you start to understand who an S-Works frame is half the cost of many other high end frames...

The cost and the fact that they're the big name also works against them. One of my co-workers calls them "the Ford of the bike industry" (He has a Pinarello and a BMC, both far more expensive than an S-Works) because they're "crit bikes" and they don't do other things well. That's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard. How a bike handles is 95% rider, the Tarmac happens to be sharp enough handling to satisfy riders with the best handling skills. The concept that they don't know how to build a bike that does more is just stupid. Do you honestly think that the design department at Specialized doesn't know the geometry and tubing of every other bike out there? They can make what they want, they have chosen slow, steady progress.

The reason you see so many Tarmacs on eBay is really their strength. The only carbon frame that's been tested more is the Roubaix. Specialized cranked out 4 seasons of SL4 frames, with an exceptionally low failure rate. That's because it was built from the SL3 platform, which also had very few failures. By comparison, most companies change their frame every season or two. People want something new - it's probably not better, it's just new. If you need something that other people don't have, the Tarmac isn't for you...

Reality, what a concept..once more.

crossjunkee
07-15-2016, 12:08 PM
I'm on my second S-Works Tarmac. I sold my Spectrum Super ti the day after I rode the SL4. I didn't think they could make the SL4 bike better, but my 2015 is amazing. Pair this frame with Zipp 303's and it's pure heaven! I use this bike for everything, crits, road racing, centuries, whatever.

bikerider888
07-15-2016, 12:34 PM
I had to laugh when I saw one on Ebay the other day. No mention of the violent, severe crash that the bike was recently involved in. Buyer beware.

Satellite
07-15-2016, 01:59 PM
I had to laugh when I saw one on Ebay the other day. No mention of the violent, severe crash that the bike was recently involved in. Buyer beware.

What do you mean? You had inside knowledge or something? Was it your bike or someone you know?