PDA

View Full Version : Good Deed For the Day

znfdl
07-02-2006, 06:30 PM
Did my good deed for the day by leading a group of boy scouts on a 50 mile bike ride, so they could finish their bike merit badge. Needless to say that the 50 mile journey took 5 1/2 hours in Washingto DC heat and humidity.

Two of the boys had a history of bonking on the two 25 mile rides that the group did. So I basically forced food down their throats and fed them a number of endurolytes (Yes Ken, I know that you think that these are worthless and do not need to be lectured again).

Needless to say all the boys finished and felt better than when they finished their shorter rides. The scouts now feel much better about cycling longer distances. It was a fun experience and will be leading them on another ride later in the year.

Sandy
07-02-2006, 06:35 PM
You are among friends here, so please feel free to answer my question: How many times during the 5 1/2 hours did the boy scouts have to wait for you? Be honest. ;)

Slowly Stopping Serotta Sandy

znfdl
07-02-2006, 06:45 PM
Sandy:

I can not lie to you. None :D

To get them through it I kept a constant 12mph pace.

catulle
07-02-2006, 06:47 PM
Good deed, indeed. Congratulations...!

Frankwurst
07-02-2006, 07:07 PM
Outstanding! Kudos to you and the Boys. I don't care what anybody says 50 miles is a good clip. :beer:

gasman
07-02-2006, 07:23 PM
Good job !!! The boys should be proud of themselves.

You deserve a pat on the back or a bottle of wine.

Ginger
07-02-2006, 07:48 PM
Good to hear that you taught them what they need to know to eat and drink appropriatly on a ride like that. It's funny how much more that is than you think it is.

Kevan
07-02-2006, 08:01 PM
Any of it on the tow path?

William
07-03-2006, 05:25 AM
Good on ya mate!! :beer:

William

Too Tall
07-03-2006, 06:43 AM
Znfndl called me after the ride...he was sitting on a Sirloin ;)

Mazel yussela vat ah mench :)

znfdl
07-03-2006, 06:46 AM
Kevan:

We rode on the W&OD bike trail as the boys were all from Vienna and Mclean Virginia. The original plan was to ride into DC, up the Capital Crescent Trail and down Beach Drive and then back to Virginia. Some of the sections that we wanted to ride were closed, which forced us onto the W&OD.

The boy scout troop that my son is part of is pretty amazing. The troop has a camping / hiking trip every 2 weeks through out the year and will be scuba diving down in Costa Rica in July and backpacking in Wyoming for a week in August.

The other incredible part of the troop is that they have 20 kids eligible for Eagle scout this year of which 14 will attain their Eagle scout by the end of September. The national average for kids to obtain their Eagle scout is under 5%.

znfdl
07-03-2006, 06:46 AM
Znfndl called me after the ride...he was sitting on a Sirloin ;)

Mazel yussela vat ah mench :)

Closer to Hamburger. I never realized how painful it is to ride at those speeds. :D