View Full Version : Bye-bye Providence Cross Fedtival

Bruce K
07-12-2016, 12:26 PM
Moving to Thompson Speedway

9/30 through 10/3

BK

sandyrs
07-12-2016, 12:34 PM
http://providencecrossfest.com/ for the press release.

Not sure how I feel about this as I know nothing about the new venue but Providence was the event that first got me interested in cycling, so I'll miss it for that reason alone.

superbowlpats
07-12-2016, 12:56 PM
I started CX last Fall for the first time. didn't get a chance to ride PVD and was really looking forward to based on what I heard and seen online. Since CX is :banana: I'll sign up but its twice as far a drive me now. At least its not cancelled.

eBAUMANN
07-12-2016, 01:14 PM
the best part about this race was the venue and course.

they treat day 1 as an afterthought, they were still building the course as we were racing on it this past year (SS race on friday), they changed the course and rerouted things MID-RACE, and had to cut the madison race short because it was pitch black mid-way through the race.

as far as i can tell, the priorities of the race organizers are:

1) secure huge sponsors
2) deliver huge sponsors a huge event

which means...

3) cram as many vendor tents as possible into the venue
4) get a couple loud guys to freak out on the mic for 6 hours
5) cram as many racers as possible into the races
6) run as many races as possible

and then on top of that...

7) charge as high an entry fee as they can possibly get away with

and then if there is time...

8) oh yea, the course

luckily, in years past, they have had roger williams park as their ace-in-the-hole.
they could botch everything else and still, that venue always delivers a great course that is fun for everyone.

moving it to a car racetrack/golf course...yea...i dunno.

a lot of people says they want more "euro style" courses...i get that sentiment, but there are 2 kinds of euro-style courses...the gnarly and the BORING AS HELL, and maybe a few in the middle.
you tell me the race is moving to a racetrack golf course...i tell you that sounds a lot like a recipe for a boring as hell style euro course.

i hope im wrong.

jdp211
07-12-2016, 02:25 PM
Counterpoint: the Spa Francorchamps course is on a race track and is anything but a 'boring' course.

Corso
07-12-2016, 03:03 PM
Makes me appreciate the GP of Glaaahstaaahh much more!

Last time I was at Thompson to see a car race, there was a 1/4 mile track at Riverside too!

Riverside is now Six Flags New England for you youngsters. Well, I think they have a lot of woods in the area, so there is potential…and parking.

eBAUMANN
07-12-2016, 03:09 PM
Well, I think they have a lot of woods in the area, so there is potential…and parking.

thats good to hear, cause lookin at it via google satellite view does not fill me with joy :p

sandyrs
07-12-2016, 03:14 PM
thats good to hear, cause lookin at it via google satellite view does not fill me with joy :p

They're going to let us race on the golf course, right?

bpiecuch
07-12-2016, 04:19 PM
Very disappointing. I'm a Providence resident and the Cross Festival was one of the best weekends to be around the city. I didn't race, but it was an amazing event for spectators and one could spend the entire day there! I don't know what kind of spectator draw it will have at the Thompson Track.

But, there is a bit of elevation change around Thompson. They can probably build a decent course there, whether it's around the track or the golf course. However, I don't know how spectator friendly it's going to be. Plus, lodging, restaurants, and all the other attractions that Providence brings will be completely lost in Thompson. Frankly, I have no idea where athletes will stay overnight.

I'll still ride out there to watch the fun, but it won't be the same outside of PVD. :(

Bruce K
07-12-2016, 05:01 PM
Nope - the golf course is out not the same owners

I am wondering how the Sunday AM noise restrictions that limit racing will affect the schedule of the cx race (no PA or music)

The venue is relatively flat with a wooded section in the middle that has some elevation changes

It is my understanding that the organizers might be being allowed to build permanent and temporary features to make it more cx friendly

BK

overmyhead
07-12-2016, 05:13 PM
Very disappointing Bruce.
It was always a fun event to attend and usually wakes up the RI cycling community a bit.
The builders Ball is always very popular too.

Bruce K
07-12-2016, 06:02 PM
I hear you

I am hoping as this evolves we will get more concrete information that will make us all feel a bit better

Hotels, etc are 15-20 minutes away (minimum)

There is basically nothing in Thompson, CT but the track and the golf course

BK

superbowlpats
08-23-2016, 08:51 AM
Registration opens today at noon for those interested in racing the KMC Crossfest this year in Thompson, CT.

https://www.bikereg.com/kmc-cross-fest

:bike:

sandyrs
08-23-2016, 09:11 AM
I was joking re the golf course. I'm sure the course will be mostly man-made or boring. I may do one day this year or just wait for the reviews to come in.

superbowlpats
08-23-2016, 09:27 AM
Since this will be my second year of CX, I'm hoping to do as many races as I can, just because I love it and want to get better. I will sign up for both days. I figure the course cant be any worse than the Monstah Cross course at Adams Farm last year.

eippo1
08-23-2016, 09:35 AM
You know it's not gonna be a good thing when they've got a million tabs and not one of them is about the course.

old fat man
08-23-2016, 09:46 AM
Since this will be my second year of CX, I'm hoping to do as many races as I can, just because I love it and want to get better. I will sign up for both days. I figure the course cant be any worse than the Monstah Cross course at Adams Farm last year.

Hopefully you will also get out to support the non-UCI grassroots events this season. I've never done Adams Farm, but races like Mansfield Hollow, Sucker Brook, Hanover, Putney, MRC, and the whole Connecticut series are a welcome alternative to the elite-first, overpriced UCI events.

superbowlpats
08-23-2016, 10:01 AM
Hopefully you will also get out to support the non-UCI grassroots events this season. I've never done Adams Farm, but races like Mansfield Hollow, Sucker Brook, Hanover, Putney, MRC, and the whole Connecticut series are a welcome alternative to the elite-first, overpriced UCI events.

I've got 20 races mapped out this year so far (that are on Bikereg), with only 5 being UCI events. coming from a triathlon background, event the UCI events are cheap :)

I'll look into those races but most might be beyond my somewhat arbitrary 90 mile radius from home.

superbowlpats
09-28-2016, 11:29 AM
KMC Thompson, CT is this weekend. looking at the course map seems to be a lot of pavement :confused: