PDA

View Full Version : All road and then some...

guido
07-12-2016, 07:45 AM
Boy this thing looks tasty...

http://pagestreetcycles.com/model.php?id=650b

txcid05
07-12-2016, 07:57 AM
That thing is definitely rad! :D

roguedog
07-12-2016, 08:09 AM
wow. what a cool collaboration. you're getting some expertise there.

ColonelJLloyd
07-12-2016, 08:29 AM
I believe this (http://theradavist.com/2015/03/ahearne-cycles-27-5-dirt-tourer/#1)was the "original".

guido
07-12-2016, 08:37 AM
Yes. I like the lug variation too... I wish John had included a pic of the BB shell. Be interesting to see if it is lugged or fillet brazed....

CampyorBust
07-12-2016, 09:29 AM
I can't figure out that squiggly coil from the down tube to the front fender. What is that?

Oh wait its a wire for the light, but where is it going?

ColonelJLloyd
07-12-2016, 09:42 AM
That is the dynamo wire coming from the headlight to the taillight. The coiled wire keeps it tidy while allowing the fork to rotate without pulling the wire out. The wire enters the down tube and likely exits at the back side of the BB shell.

thwart
07-12-2016, 12:00 PM

d_douglas
07-12-2016, 12:37 PM
Thats pretty awesome. Not really my bag, but that could not help but be super fun to ride!

bobswire
07-12-2016, 12:42 PM
I like everything about that bike except the price (because I can't afford it). This one will have to suffice till my dying day (and that's all right). :)

http://i64.tinypic.com/2uoop5w.jpg

eBAUMANN
07-12-2016, 01:25 PM
errrrrr, definitely a cool bike....but its basically just a custom frame...like "here, look what we can build you for exactly the same price as it would cost if you asked for it without the fancy dedicated web page!"

turn this into a small batch production frame with an appropriately reduced price tag...THAT would move some eye brows.

not trying to hate, i just dont really get why they are making it look like a production frameset with a custom price tag.

CampyorBust
07-12-2016, 01:25 PM
That is the dynamo wire coming from the headlight to the taillight. The coiled wire keeps it tidy while allowing the fork to rotate without pulling the wire out. The wire enters the down tube and likely exits at the back side of the BB shell.

Ok thanks, and an internal generator too, wow thats one cool bikepacking rig.

ColonelJLloyd
07-12-2016, 02:15 PM
errrrrr, definitely a cool bike....but its basically just a custom frame...like "here, look what we can build you for exactly the same price as it would cost if you asked for it without the fancy dedicated web page!"

turn this into a small batch production frame with an appropriately reduced price tag...THAT would move some eye brows.

not trying to hate, i just dont really get why they are making it look like a production frameset with a custom price tag.

Yeah, I agree. I'm not saying they are equal, but projects like the Endpoint Coffee Grinder and Elephant NFE are more attractive to me because of the price tag.

raygunner
07-12-2016, 02:33 PM
I think the turn around time is appealing.

Igle built me a bike awhile back & it was just a weee bit off schedule. Just a weee bit! :rolleyes:

JAGI410
07-12-2016, 02:33 PM
Gorgeous, but too expensive, and likely won't be used to its full potential.

eBAUMANN
07-12-2016, 02:34 PM
Yeah, I agree. I'm not saying they are equal, but projects like the Endpoint Coffee Grinder and Elephant NFE are more attractive to me because of the price tag.

bingo.

thats the sort of model that im a HUGE fan of.

bringing frames that previously only existed in the custom realm to a domestically produced small batch system.

guido
07-12-2016, 02:52 PM

Step one is the bike that is this good. Doing it at quantity/right price point is step two. I don't know what the price tag of the Ahearne lugged bike was so maybe this is the volume price...

Rawlands took a swing at it but they decided it didn't work frame only and is now offering completes at around this price... (if they actually ship...)

Clearly a made in usa bike of quality at a consumer friendly price point is a challenge. It's killed a lot of dreams so far...

ColonelJLloyd
07-12-2016, 03:00 PM
Rawlands took a swing at it but they decided it didn't work frame only and is now offering completes at around this price... (if they actually ship...)

Well, that company is a whole other bag of worms. There are lots of challenges for sure, but Elephant, Endpoint and Wraith seem to have done this more successfully than this Ravn fiasco.

kmla320
07-12-2016, 07:23 PM
What's the reason for the bar end shifters on this type of bike? Please pardon my ignorance!

eBAUMANN
07-12-2016, 07:50 PM
What's the reason for the bar end shifters on this type of bike? Please pardon my ignorance!

simplicity and field serviceability when you are in the middle of nowhere and the sh*t hits the fan.

I'm building a similar rig next year but will be taking this idea a step further and mounting my shifter on a paul thumbie up by the stem, so if the (loaded/heavy) bike falls over for some reason, there will be nothing important hanging out on at the bar end waiting to get snapped off on impact.

guido
07-12-2016, 08:19 PM
Well, that company is a whole other bag of worms. There are lots of challenges for sure, but Elephant, Endpoint and Wraith seem to have done this more successfully than this Ravn fiasco.

I can't find the price on his site now, but I was under the impression that that is about the same neighborhood as Glen was charging for NFEs. I guess the Endpoint and Wraith bikes are around $1300ish. Are they making a profit? The Page Street looks like classier finish/package but that may be the magic of good photography....

ColonelJLloyd
07-12-2016, 08:56 PM
The NFE is $1350. I wouldn't know if they're turning a profit. To be clear, I'm not saying the Page Street isn't worth the price, but it does reinforce the value of some other options for me, personally. The Page Street does have a heck of a lot of well thought out details.

guido
07-12-2016, 09:15 PM
The NFE is $1350. snip...

Wow that is a killer value. Explains the >10 month queue...

raygunner
07-12-2016, 09:34 PM
Wow that is a killer value. Explains the >10 month queue...

The queue seems lots longer than 10 months!

rcnute
07-12-2016, 09:44 PM
The queue seems lots longer than 10 months!

12 weeks, don't they say? (Oops, you were referring to NFE.)

Ryan

cadence90
07-12-2016, 11:41 PM
I like everything about that bike except the price (because I can't afford it). This one will have to suffice till my dying day (and that's all right). :)

http://i64.tinypic.com/2uoop5w.jpg

I like the irony between your post and the name on your downtube. :beer:

I don't know anything about these kinds of bikes, these or the others mentioned in the thread.
But isn't this what ANT bikes/Mike Flanigan has been doing for years, or are there real differences that I'm missing?