PDA

View Full Version : France Memories and Robbie

Dazza
07-11-2016, 05:20 PM
Listening to Robbie McEwen chatting on the SBS coverage of the TDF reminds me of a day in 1995 at the end of The Tour de l'Avenir. Robbie was riding on the Aussie national team and I was the mechanic, Brian Stephens was the DS. All the teams had the TDF Fiat Team cars for the race, which was good, rather than the worn out Merc we had as our team car, but we had are usual well worn out VW transporter that was crammed with my gear, riders and baggage. Robbie won a stage in 94 and won a stage in 95. (he also won a stage in 96 as a pro and we had Jay Sweet win a stage that year) Along the way was the pro contract stuff. This pic is of Samuel (team assistant), Robbie and myself the morning after the race finished outside our hotel on the last night , the team had already left, crammed into the VW for some destination, probably Koblenz but I cannot recall. I had to drive the TDF Fiat to drop off in Paris and also drop Robbie off at Gare De Nord as he was catching a train north to meet Jan Raas to sign his first pro contract.
The next year he started his pro career and it did not go too bad for him.
When he was a young fella, every one was impressed with his acceleration from 90 to 100%, he also learn't how to use other teams and riders and find his own way many times to the finish as there was not many about who could help in during his pre pro days. I know some find him difficult, but I always got on well with him.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8717/16984535500_27dff8627e_b.jpg

weisan
07-11-2016, 05:24 PM
wow, so young!

54ny77
07-11-2016, 05:33 PM
Cool! I so enjoyed watching him swim like salmon upstream through the field. The guy so often came outta NOWHERE to take food off the plate from the likes of Zabel, Cippolini, etc. And to think, he was doing wheelies in the Tour when Sagan was still in diapers!

Llewellyn
07-11-2016, 07:35 PM
Great story Dazza. I've been really enjoying listening to Robbie commentating alongside Matt Keenan - it's a combo that works well IMO. I just wish SBS could use them for the whole broadcast instead of switching to Phil & Paul for the last 50km of each stage :crap:

Black Dog
07-11-2016, 07:46 PM
Great story Dazza. I've been really enjoying listening to Robbie commentating alongside Matt Keenan - it's a combo that works well IMO. I just wish SBS could use them for the whole broadcast instead of switching to Phil & Paul for the last 50km of each stage :crap:

I could not agree with you more. Matt and Robbie are doing a much better job than the two P's.

tiretrax
07-12-2016, 11:36 AM
I could not agree with you more. Matt and Robbie are doing a much better job than the two P's.

At least you don't have to listen to them the entire race - or any of the other NBCSN team. Switching the anchor to a newbie on their premier coverage - #smoothmove.

Hindmost
07-12-2016, 01:36 PM
Dazza, thanks for posting. Robbie was the real deal.

If only we could pick sprinters from the various eras and throw them into a finale together today.

thwart
07-12-2016, 03:56 PM
Dude sure doesn't look like a sprinter in that pic.

The anti-Cippo...