PDA

View Full Version : new Ford Focus: does it hold a bike?

54ny77
07-11-2016, 01:41 PM
Will be renting one for a few days, and wondering if anyone here has one or rented one. I need to be able to stuff a bike in it, or cancel and get another car. It's fine if I need to take the wheels off, just need to know if I can jam the thing in there.

Thanks.

AngryScientist
07-11-2016, 01:44 PM
yup, no problem

just rented one a few weeks ago

spoiler alert: the CVT transmission blows. you'll be convinced it's slipping, but it's not. terrible car.

but yes, it'll hold a bike.

54ny77
07-11-2016, 01:46 PM
cool, thanks angry.

i'm not worried about how that car performs, just that i can stick a bike in there. did you fold down rear seats or how did you stuff it in there?

AngryScientist
07-11-2016, 01:48 PM
yea, rear seats fold.

my local rental place is a few miles from the house, and my standard operation is to ride a bike over and pick up the car.

back seats down, front wheel off. plenty of room for whatever size bike, for sure.

AngryScientist
07-11-2016, 01:51 PM
i might add that i do this often now. i dont think there is a car on the market today that you cant fit a bike in, as long as you dont have passengers. all the rear seats these days fold and leave plenty of room. even "compact" cars are bigger than they every have been. i've never had an issue stuffing a bike in a rental, and i've cycled through just about everything enterprise has on the lot.

the best i've had lately was a jeep renegade. cool little mini SUV. i'd never actually buy one, but it was one of the better recent rentals.

William
07-11-2016, 01:56 PM
Matt says the Ford Focus RS doesn't suck! :)

2016 Ford Focus RS! - First Canyon Drive
Matt ordered his Focus RS over a year ago, and took delivery in mid-June. Now, join us for our first-ever canyon day together! The 350 HP, All-wheel-drive Focus RS is the first car from Team RS to make it to the US, and it's going to be Matt's daily driver for the next three years.

The Smoking Tire - One Take
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep10ChjKVuQ

William

velotrack
07-11-2016, 02:00 PM
William, I've heard the ST and RS versions are a lot of fun. Probably spec'ed with a manual, yes?

kramnnim
07-11-2016, 02:06 PM
Transmission is double clutch, not CVT. And yeah, it's jerky until you get used to it. I have a hatchback and a 56cm with front wheel and seatpost removed will fit upright in the back if the rear seat cushions are folded up and the seat backs folded down.

William
07-11-2016, 02:13 PM
William, I've heard the ST and RS versions are a lot of fun. Probably spec'ed with a manual, yes?

Manual yessssss!:cool:

William

Hilltopperny
07-11-2016, 02:17 PM
I own a focus hatchback and fit my bikes in it all the time. Mine is a 5spd standard though. No transmission issues! I have fit 3 bikes in it at one time with the seats down.

54ny77
07-11-2016, 02:23 PM
i prefer to have rentals that enable me to hide the bike fully in trunk (even if i have to take both wheels off, which is no big deal), that way no visual of exposed bike. but this time need something super cheap and the focus is it.

Hilltopperny
07-11-2016, 02:45 PM
The focus also gets 35+ mpg. I bought mine a couple of years ago when I was traveling 100+ miles round trip to work everyday. I'm sure with the wheels off that you should be able to fit a bike in the trunk without issue.