PDA

View Full Version : Starter gravel bike

johnniecakes
07-11-2016, 12:49 PM
Been thinking about this gravel bike thing for a little while. We don’t really have a lot of gravel type roads/paths close by but there are a few. Not going to jump into buying something till I try it out. I have a CAAD 8 frameset hanging around that could be pressed into service to give this a try. So the questions are; 1) What size tire is a good starter tire for graveling? 2) Does anybody know what size tire I can get into a CAAD 8 frame?

sandyrs
07-11-2016, 12:53 PM
I think a CAAD8 is unlikely to clear more than a 28, since it uses short reach brakes. Occasionally you can fit a 30 under short reach calipers but I have no insight into that specific frame/fork.

For tire size, it *really* depends on what stuff you're riding. Fist-sized chunks of gravel? You want some big, big tires. Crushed stone paths? 28s are probably fine.

I think you definitely could have a good time on a road bike with 28s on a lot of what passes for "gravel" and you have very little to lose, given that you're using a frame you already have. Get out there!

benb
07-11-2016, 12:58 PM
It really depends on what you have where you live.

I am starting to feel like there isn't that much in the middle ground around here.. almost as soon as you end up off pavement the bigger tired stuff is instantly faster. Either the trail is rough and you wish you were on a MTB, the gravel is large & loose and you again wish for a MTB or big big tires on the gravel bike (38c+) or it looks like packed sand/rock until you hit a loose sandy section and again wish for the MTB or big big tires.

I'm not sure I've found anything yet that I'm faster on the gravel bike than I am on my MTB unless it's mostly pavement... but I still have room to try a bigger tire with more tread. And my MTB is X/C F/S, so on some of this stuff a hardtail MTB would be faster still.

Some of the stuff I've been down on the "mixed terrain" group rides I've gone on are things I am multiple minutes faster on my MTB. Big differences. The only stuff where the difference mostly disappears are the exceedingly well groomed dirt "roads" that say the National Park Service builds. Even those would be way slower on 28s though as there is enough loose stuff where the 28 would sink in and you'd be walking. A 38 you spin a little and have to watch it, a MTB you hammer through.

I am also increasingly convinced the drop bar accomplishes little as soon as you're off the pavement. At least here speeds just aren't high enough for aero to matter. Maybe different where you have flat roads with true hard packed gravel.

AngryScientist
07-11-2016, 01:21 PM
anyone who lives in PA should own a gravel road capable bike. lots of really good stuff within easy reach of wherever you are. get a fat tire road bike or a cross bike and dont look back.

ColonelJLloyd
07-11-2016, 01:44 PM
Ride what you have.

That said, I dig fat, light tires. Like sub 400g 42mm tires.

Hilltopperny
07-11-2016, 02:25 PM
I just throw 28 gravel kings on my concours and ride the mixed stuff here in central ny. I did build up an old st500 with a 42c front and 35c rear last winter that was more capable on the rough stuff, but wasn't necessarily needed. It really depends on how rough the terrain is.

oliver1850
07-12-2016, 01:46 AM
I'm pretty sure you can fit 28s on the Cannondale but that's probably the limit. Some Continental 32s don't measure much more than 28 but I'm not sure of the diameter.

dawgie
07-12-2016, 07:06 AM
I would recommend looking for something like a used Bianchi Volpe or CX or touring bike that could handle larger tires. You would probably spend just as much trying to adapt the Cannondale for gravel and it would be far from ideal. Tires are the biggest factor for riding on gravel and unpaved roads/trails, and I personally think that 32 mm tires are the minimum for enjoyable riding on those conditions. Sure, you can ride 28s, but it will never be comfortable if you hit deep gravel, mud and very bumpy surfaces. For short distances or occasional forays off pavement, you can make do on 28s, but I wouldn't want them on a dedicated gravel bike.

On the local Craiglist, someone was trying to sell a used Volpe in very good condition for about $350 for many weeks with no buyers. It was common size (about 57) but no takers. Could be the lack of disc brakes, which seem to be the flavor of the month right now in cycling.