PDA

View Full Version : Yakima Q-clips for a Roof rack

veggieburger
07-11-2016, 09:31 AM
Sold the Toyota, so the roof rack is going on the Civic.

I need to go from Q104/Q105 to Q99 and Q131. However, when I look at the clips with my untrained eye, they don't look THAT different. Certainly not something that couldn't be modified with a bit of black electrical tape.

Has anyone used the incorrect clips on their roof rack and made it work? Or am I asking for trouble?

Thanks!

carpediemracing
07-11-2016, 09:59 AM
I don't know the clips you're referring to specifically but when I was a Yakima dealer some of the clips looked very close, but they had a slight change here or there.

The thing is that if you put the wrong clips on and you damage your car you're looking at a massive amount of money to fix it. Worse would be if the clips let go and the rack went flying off, causing damage not only to your own stuff but potentially causing other people to have problems.

I would take the low risk path and buy the relatively inexpensive clips.

If room damage is not an issue then I'd get the the adapter kit to install gutter "feet" onto your roof. Then you just a regular gutter mount rack for whatever vehicle you have. You could even use the same adapter kit, mount the bars to some wood/similar, and put the assembly in the back of a pickup/minivan/etc. This was the only way to get a rack on an early Pathfinder back in the day, for example. I almost bought a second hatch for my 350Z so I could drill/mount a system like that on the hatch.

p nut
07-11-2016, 10:06 AM
Those things are cheap enough where it's just not worth the risk. Is the constant paranoia, having to continually look up at the roof to make sure the rack is still there, etc. worth it? Not to me. :)

eBAUMANN
07-11-2016, 10:23 AM
Those things are cheap enough where it's just not worth the risk. Is the constant paranoia, having to continually look up at the roof to make sure the rack is still there, etc. worth it? Not to me. :)

Agreed.

I still cant believe that those clips are even enough to securely hold the rack in place...I feel like they should be replaced like every 5 years or something...just ONE TINY LITTLE PIN THING holding it on there, nuts.

pasadena
07-11-2016, 10:36 AM
If your current q clips fit, and have good fit to "hook" the car, there is no issue.
The problem is they may damage your rubber door seals or paint with poor fit.

If you are all clear, and they fit without those issues, you're good.

veggieburger
07-11-2016, 10:58 AM
If your current q clips fit, and have good fit to "hook" the car, there is no issue.
The problem is they may damage your rubber door seals or paint with poor fit.

Ah yes, never really considered that the slight angle change could hurt the door frame. Good point.

druptight
07-11-2016, 12:37 PM
If you didn't already buy them, and I can remember to look, I may have some 99's laying around at home (assuming I didn't toss them when I moved).

Be happy to send them your way, ping me if you're interested.

I've gotten rid of the rack and gone hitch style.

veggieburger
07-11-2016, 01:09 PM
If you didn't already buy them, and I can remember to look, I may have some 99's laying around at home (assuming I didn't toss them when I moved).

Be happy to send them your way, ping me if you're interested.

I've gotten rid of the rack and gone hitch style.

This place is amazing. Will PM now. Thank you!

Satellite
07-11-2016, 02:32 PM
I am NOT sure where you bought your Yakima system. We bought ours at REI they have a 100% lifetime member return policy. When we sold our car we simply returned the Q-Clips for the correct Q-Clips on the new car. Did I feel guilty NOT at all.

Oh and buy the right clips, this is dumb area to skimp in. I wouldn't want to loose my Moots on I-25 and possibly kill someone behind me. Buy them at REI so next time you buy a different car you can return them.

AngryScientist
07-11-2016, 02:35 PM
I am NOT sure where you bought your Yakima system. We bought ours at REI they have a 100% lifetime member return policy. When we sold our car we simply returned the Q-Clips for the correct Q-Clips on the new car. Did I feel guilty NOT at all.

that is an absolute abuse of the REI return policy.

AngryScientist
07-11-2016, 02:40 PM
by the way, REI recently updated their return policy, specifically because of abusers of the system like Satellite:

100% Satisfaction Guaranteed
We stand behind everything we sell. If you are not satisfied with your REI purchase, you can return it for a replacement or refund within one year of purchase.
REI’s guarantee doesn’t cover ordinary wear and tear or damage caused by improper use or accidents.

If your item has a manufacturing defect in its materials or workmanship, you can return it at any time. See our limited warranty.

Satellite
07-11-2016, 04:10 PM
that is an absolute abuse of the REI return policy.

No, no it's NOT it was the policy at the time. I spent a huge amount on my Yakima system. I could have gone on-line and bought at a fraction of the price. I bought through REI because of their policy. 100% member satisfaction. They sold the fully functioning used Yakima bits at there annual garage sales and I am sure they got there money out of them from what they were marked up. So don't tell me I abused the return policy that they set fourth. I did nothing illegal or wrong. I followed there rules.

OtayBW
07-11-2016, 04:13 PM
I had to change 2 of the Qclips when I went from an '84 Tundra to a '14 Tundra. The originals looked like they would transfer over to the new truck pretty easily, but they didn't. The correct Qclips worked perfectly. Spend the dough and fagettaboutit.

fuzzalow
07-11-2016, 04:29 PM
No, no it's NOT it was the policy at the time. I spent a huge amount on my Yakima system. I could have gone on-line and bought at a fraction of the price. I bought through REI because of their policy. 100% member satisfaction. They sold the fully functioning used Yakima bits at there annual garage sales and I am sure they got there money out of them from what they were marked up. So don't tell me I abused the return policy that they set fourth. I did nothing illegal or wrong. I followed there rules.

In the bigger picture, what you did was a nit and insignificant to REI's bottom line.

In the bigger picture, what you did was ethically questionable but legal as spelled out by REI's policy. And the loophole in what was likely intended by REI in service and support to their customers purchases was exploited by you to be a lifelong obligation in fulfillment of your sense of consumer entitlement.

There's lotsa stuff that in theory somebody can do. And lotsa stuff that tells somebody that even if they can, for some people - they won't. Hey, do whatcha want. REI's amended their policy to hold true to their original intent and to stop the abuse of what you did. Enjoy it, it was your last hurrah at their expense.

Satellite
07-11-2016, 04:38 PM
In the bigger picture, what you did was a nit and insignificant to REI's bottom line.

In the bigger picture, what you did was ethically questionable but legal as spelled out by REI's policy. And the loophole in what was likely intended by REI in service and support to their customers purchases was exploited by you to be a lifelong obligation in fulfillment of your sense of consumer entitlement.

There's lotsa stuff that in theory somebody can do. And lotsa stuff that tells somebody that even if they can, for some people - they won't. Hey, do whatcha want. REI's amended their policy to hold true to their original intent and to stop the abuse of what you did. Enjoy it, it was your last hurrah at their expense.

What I did was ask if I could return the product for a different product, "What they said was yes".

Do you pay parking meters on Sunday's? Are you going to pass up on your Social Security because the country is broke?

I am getting SUPER Miffed at this word "Abuse" you and Angry are throwing around here. I am starting to feel abused.

edit:
Now that I have had some time to think about this our car is a 2004, 12 years ago. The guy at REI is the one that told us to bring in the other part for the parts we needed for the new car they would swap them out. So now you can blame REI for the policy change.

OtayBW
07-11-2016, 04:54 PM
What I did was ask if I could return the product for a different product, "What they said was yes".

Do you pay parking meters on Sunday's? Are you going to pass up on your Social Security because the country is broke?

I am getting SUPER Miffed at this word "Abuse" you and Angry are throwing around here. I am starting to feel abused.

edit:
Now that I have had some time to think about this our car is a 2004, 12 years ago. The guy at REI is the one that told us to bring in the other part for the parts we needed for the new car they would swap them out. So now you can blame REI for the policy change.
Knowing how long you used the Q clips on the old car before you swapped for the new replacements might provide some perspective on the subject.

fuzzalow
07-11-2016, 05:32 PM

edit:

Hey, it isn't personal. But it is fair game to discuss things like this in an open forum and people have every privilege here to speak their minds within the bounds we've all agreed to in posting here.

So what you took a little heat for what you did. If you think it was OK to do, what do you care what I, or anybody, thinks? You know, it is one thing to hafta do things because you hafta do it - it is something completely different if you have the ability to choose not to do something - just 'cos maybe you just don't wanna go there.

My view of this is you didn't really get something for nuthin' in getting new clips for free from REI, it always costs something. You get to decide what that something is. Peace and see you at the next stop.

Satellite
07-11-2016, 05:43 PM
Knowing how long you used the Q clips on the old car before you swapped for the new replacements might provide some perspective on the subject.

Oh geez I have no idea, I think it was within a year. I still had the original packaging. The first Q Clips certainly weren't worn out if you can even wear out Q Clips.

estilley
07-11-2016, 09:01 PM
I work at a rack shop...

As a general rule, Q-Towers and clips aren't the best option (Door damage, sub-100 lb weight capacity)

But I would say that if you are going to keep using your towers to get the right clips. $90 is a small price to pay for keeping your stuff on the roof.

Best option is a permanent fixed point or track mount.

You're not in Portland are you?

If so, you know who to PM. :banana:

veggieburger
07-12-2016, 08:21 AM
I work at a rack shop...

As a general rule, Q-Towers and clips aren't the best option (Door damage, sub-100 lb weight capacity)

But I would say that if you are going to keep using your towers to get the right clips. $90 is a small price to pay for keeping your stuff on the roof.

Best option is a permanent fixed point or track mount.

You're not in Portland are you?

If so, you know who to PM. :banana:

Sorry man, nope. I'm in the great white north. My bikes aren't crazy valuable, but I would hate to have them (and the rack) fly off the roof and damage car and destroy bikes. I'll probably invest in the new clips.

Re: that REI return....this reminds me of something that happened up here at MEC (basically Canada's version of REI). 100% Customer Satisfaction policy. Some fella walks in with a backpack that's at least 10 years old. The thing is dirty, stinky, in rough shape, but obvious to everyone in the store that he's had it for a decade or more. He "didn't like the way it aged" and wanted a new one. The people behind the register were wide-eyed and flabbergasted, but they wanted a satisfied customer. However, the other people in line had no problem voicing their opinions on the matter.

Have a great day people!