PDA

View Full Version : Advice riding in/around Vienna?

exapkib
07-10-2016, 11:49 PM
I'll be in Vienna, Austria for a conference later this month and just found out that I have a 'free' day in town.

I've heard there are some great bike paths in and around the city--anyone with experience care to share some insight into what the possibilities might be?

Looking for any kind of casual/scenic riding in or around town.

Thanks!

jasonification
07-11-2016, 04:52 AM
Look for a nice bike store called Veletage! They have a mechanic from the US and probs could direct you to good routes. Their cool bikes are also fun to look at.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Sierra
07-11-2016, 07:42 AM
Vienna is very bike friendly and there is tons to see on your rides--especially if you have an interest in Classical Music (Beethoven's house/museum; the wonderful Musikverein, etc). You can ride along the Kärtner Ring; the big city park known as the Prater (where Johannes Brahms used to spend his Sunday afternoons drinking beer and listening to the gypsies play), which lies along the Danube side; there are also many trails along the river itself. It is a wonderful city with lots to offer, not least of which are its marvelous coffee houses.

OtayBW
07-11-2016, 08:57 AM
Stay out of traffic circles! :D

dave thompson
07-11-2016, 08:58 AM
I've been to Vienna 3 times and I don't know if I'd want to use a bike there. For me Vienna holds so much history, culture, art and music. I have to see the museums, go to the concerts, just walk around that beautiful city.

raygunner
07-11-2016, 09:45 AM
I never knew the old Vienna before the war with its Strauss music, its glamour and easy charm. Constantinople suited me better.

exapkib
07-11-2016, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the quick replies. I'm mostly considering renting some kind of a city bike to cruise around on the free day (happens to be the first day in town) to help me with the time adjustment. I've found that if I do something outside the first day it helps me not sleep through all of my meetings.

Apparently there is a dedicated bike path that runs from city center out through a nature preserve northwest of the city. About twenty miles round trip, as near as I can tell.

paredown
07-11-2016, 05:18 PM
I participated in a tour a few years ago, and we looped through Vienna, then rode on into the Czech Republic.

I can't claim too much experience. We approached from the Hungarian side, and came in along the Danube--and the cycle paths were great. Of course, we made a couple of mistakes following the route sheet so we did a couple of sections of arterial roads--it was like any other busy city.

In the city proper though, I agree with the walking idea. The main core is fairly confined--and there is lots to look at, eat, and experience. Our whole group basically left their bikes parked for the day we stayed there, and explored on foot and public transportation.

Maybe someone else could recommend some out and and back routes, because the countryside outside the city is really quite gorgeous. The one you spotted sounds perfect too.

Edit: I can't find our route sheets--but I know we took paths out of the city (north and east) to head into the Czech Republic. I did find this site that looks pretty cool:
https://www.wien.info/en/vienna-for/sports/cycling

The Ringstrasse route looks pretty excellent...

54ny77
07-11-2016, 05:45 PM
Be sure to see the Singing Sausages. They're famous!

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/54yBV6i0IqA/hqdefault.jpg

dave thompson
07-11-2016, 06:01 PM
As an aside, one of my very favorite places to eat in Vienna is the Schweizerhaus in Prater Park. It's been there near forever and serves the best Weiner Schnitzel, big as a large pizza pan, overlapping the plate, served in a picnic style setting. You'll rub elbows with everyone. Goes well with the German potato salad and a liter of Budweiser (Budvar) beer.

GonaSovereign
07-11-2016, 07:45 PM
I've had a bike with me on a few trips to Vienna. There is great riding out of the city if you want it, although not ideal for a city bike. With one of those, you can follow the Danube north and you'll see some nice rolling hills, etc.

Personally, if I had a single day, I'd spend it walking around the city. It's an amazing place. Drink a few beers in and around the Prater, and then go to the Turkish area for dinner.

Louis
07-11-2016, 07:54 PM
A preview of the local flora and fauna:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykeMeQI6hbk

metalheart
07-11-2016, 11:06 PM
I vote for a Sacher Torte at the cafe of the same --- more or less -- near the opera house and take in a performance at said opera house.

exapkib
07-11-2016, 11:18 PM
Thanks to all for the advice and excellent pop culture references! What a place this is.

I'll be sure to report back on my experiences--for now, I'm leaning towards some simple sightseeing in the city. We'll see if the bike or the feet get the call when the time comes.

I also appreciate the food recommendations--it's been a long time since I was in Austria, and good food is usually the best way to appreciate a new place, isn't it?

Again, thanks to all for the suggestions and advice.

dave thompson
07-11-2016, 11:49 PM
I vote for a Sacher Torte at the cafe of the same --- more or less -- near the opera house and take in a performance at said opera house.

The Sacher Hotel is directly across the street from the Opera House....and a Starbucks. I have several of the wooden 'take-out' boxes for the Sacher Torts. The boxes make good parts bins.

exapkib
07-21-2016, 03:35 PM
First day in the city today. I wasn't planning on riding, but after seeing so many people and such incredible infrastructure, I just couldn't resist. I rented a Citibike and rode around the Ringstrasse a couple of times.

Just what the doctor ordered. Slow enough to take in the sights (with plenty of photo stops along the way), but fast enough to cover a lot more ground than you would want to cover on foot.

Again, thanks to all for the recommendations here. Tomorrow after our conference I hope to take care of more of the food recommendations--doner kebab for dinner tonight, and it's not Berlin, but it was pretty darn good.

I'll grab some of the photos from my phone later.