PDA

View Full Version : New Enve brake track?

BdaGhisallo
07-10-2016, 09:28 AM
Anyone got any time on the new Enve textured brake track?

I am wondering how much of an improvement it is in the wet.

ultraman6970
07-10-2016, 01:39 PM
Texture will help a lot, the question is how long the brake pads will last?

IMO always the way to go had been aluminum walls in carbon rims,

kramnnim
07-10-2016, 04:28 PM
How long will the texture last?

jwess1234
07-10-2016, 06:20 PM
I don't have them, but here is the feedback I've heard on the 2.2s with new brake track (old wheels were 3.4s with smooth brake track). Much better when wet--less likely to fade on steep descents.

adrien
07-10-2016, 07:58 PM
2,500 miles so far.

If you are using modern and short-reach road brakes, they are great, and appear to rely heavily on clamping force. I put them on a bike with long-reach brakes, and the power and modulation were notably worse.

I would say in the dry and in the wet they stop on par with alloy. Yup, feel free to read that again.

They don't modulate as well, and are more on/off.

No discernible wear on the rims. Pads (you want the black ones with these, not the softer grey ones): front is about 1/4 worn, rear is barely worn at all.

I weigh 215.

And I know you didn't ask, but: these don't seem to get any hotter than alloy descending, though I would not likely take them on long, drag-the-brakes descents.

I have SYS4.5s Amazing wheels.

ptourkin
07-10-2016, 09:27 PM
I also have about 2,500 miles on the new track on my 2.2s. The noise takes a minute to get used. There's a winding down sound when you stop. I suspect the pads will wear faster. They stop nicely dry or wet. I've done technical descents wet and they were fine.

I've heard stories about people burning through pads but that is not happening to me. I suspect a lot has to do with braking technique.

Satellite
07-10-2016, 11:42 PM
I also have about 2,500 miles on the new track on my 2.2s. The noise takes a minute to get used. There's a winding down sound when you stop. I suspect the pads will wear faster. They stop nicely dry or wet. I've done technical descents wet and they were fine.

I've heard stories about people burning through pads but that is not happening to me. I suspect a lot has to do with braking technique.

I had to do a crash replace on my rear ENVE wheel. When I got them back they included some brake pads. I noted the brake pads were Black. I contacted ENVE and said your tech bulletin shows to use the Grey Pads. He told me good news I got the new improved Brake Track. They had to updated their Tech Bulletin because I pointed out the error. So I have Grey pads on the front and Black on the rear.

Sorry just tooting my own horn there.

I haven't used them in the rain yet. My Colnago is new so I don't ride it if there is a chance of rain. Some day I suppose I will get caught out in the rain and that will be okay, until that day happens the Moots will have the chance of rain days.

I will say that the first time I used the ENVE wheels it scared the crap out of me because I pulled the brakes and the bike didn't slow down. It shocked me how much more responsive Alloy rims are to brake input. I am used to it now and they brake just fine except the occasional squealing and winding down mentioned above. Too bad the improved braking surface is on the rear instead of the front.

R3awak3n
07-10-2016, 11:49 PM

also depends on where you are, flat places you barely use the brakes, hills and your pads will wear out much faster.

BdaGhisallo
07-11-2016, 04:31 AM
Thank you folks. That helps immensely.

SoCalSteve
07-11-2016, 07:35 AM
2,500 miles so far.

If you are using modern and short-reach road brakes, they are great, and appear to rely heavily on clamping force. I put them on a bike with long-reach brakes, and the power and modulation were notably worse.

I would say in the dry and in the wet they stop on par with alloy. Yup, feel free to read that again.

They don't modulate as well, and are more on/off.

No discernible wear on the rims. Pads (you want the black ones with these, not the softer grey ones): front is about 1/4 worn, rear is barely worn at all.

I weigh 215.

And I know you didn't ask, but: these don't seem to get any hotter than alloy descending, though I would not likely take them on long, drag-the-brakes descents.

I have SYS4.5s Amazing wheels.

Same story here on my Kirk ( same wheels ). Noisy, stops great. Pads may wear quicker. Wheels are amazing, truly!!!

RowanB
07-11-2016, 08:20 AM
I'm increasingly disappointed I bought my 4.5s before just before they changed the brake track.