PDA

View Full Version : I have done the unthinkable. Rode Shimano

Cicli
07-10-2016, 06:37 AM
So, being a Campy guy I rented a bike with shima-no yesterday and liked it.

Is that bad?

Back story. Two weeks ago me and a couple of guys were out in the country on a quiet road when up ahead about 1/2 mile a truck made a right and headed our way. They were headed east into the morning sun right twords us. And right twords they went. We dumped off the road to the right and into the ditch. Scared the hell out if me. Thats the second time that has happened to me. Last time was four hears ago and I was injured badly with a shattered foot. This time I came out okay but a friend went OTB and broke his collar bone.
I agreed with the wife that I would take some time off from early morning road rides and spend some more time on the empty amd quite awesome rails to trails paths we have around here. I have limited bike funds so the road bike has to go in favor of something disposable to the gravel.

Yesterday we spent the morning on paddleboards in Madison. We had a blast. Looking for something to do we decided to rent a bike and take a ride in shorts and a tee around the lakes here in Madison. We brought thee wifes bike because I was planning on working her a bit on a Moots gravel bike a local Madison shop has. Its a lot over what she will let me spend. I ended up on a rental Trek Domane 5.2 with Ultegra and sime 28's with clearance for more tire. The whole time I was beside myself with how smooth it was and how well it handled whatever gravel and sand we ran across. I didnt feel bad at all about tearing it up. Its not a fancy one off bike. Its disposable as is the Shimano group thats on it. I was actually excited about riding and my thoughts drifted to all the trails around the house I can get to on something like that. I probably have 80-120 miles of unpaved loops we can ride on the prarie paths and great western trails around me. A bike I dont care about may be perfect for this. As a side note, I know trek dosent get much love around here but they ride really well and its smooth as glass. The shop offered a new leftover one thay had for 40% off and I want it but feel bad going Shimano and cookie cutter trek < (lower case). The wife said get it. I am torn. The reviwes are glowing on those bikes and the fit is awesome. What say the Paceline? Buy the plastic bike and ride it? Probably better than not riding at all.
She has no issue with me riding the trails and really encourages it but with me being the income source for the family with two kids dosent really want me in the roads for a while after two incedents like I have had.

oldpotatoe
07-10-2016, 06:39 AM
So, being a Campy guy I rented a bike with shima-no yesterday and liked it.

Is that bad?

Back story. Two weeks ago me and a couple of guys were out in the country on a quiet road when up ahead about 1/2 mile a truck made a right and headed our way. They were headed east into the morning sun right twords us. And right twords they went. We dumped off the road to the right and into the ditch. Scared the hell out if me. Thats the second time that has happened to me. Last time was four hears ago and I was injured badly with a shattered foot. This time I came out okay but a friend went OTB and broke his collar bone.
I agreed with the wife that I would take some time off from early morning road rides and spend some more time on the empty amd quite awesome rails to trails paths we have around here. I have limited bike funds so the road bike has to go in favor of something disposable to the gravel.

Yesterday we spent the morning on paddleboards in Madison. We had a blast. Looking for something to do we decided to rent a bike and take a ride in shorts and a tee around the lakes here in Madison. We brought thee wifes bike because I was planning on working her a bit on a Moots gravel bike a local Madison shop has. Its a lot over what she will let me spend. I ended up on a rental Trek Domane 5.2 with Ultegra and sime 28's with clearance for more tire. The whole time I was beside myself with how smooth it was and how well it handled whatever gravel and sand we ran across. I didnt feel bad at all about tearing it up. Its not a fancy one off bike. Its disposable as is the Shimano group thats on it. I was actually excited about riding and my thoughts drifted to all the trails around the house I can get to on something like that. I probably have 80-120 miles of unpaved loops we can ride on the prarie paths and great western trails around me. A bike I dont care about may be perfect for this. As a side note, I know trek dosent get much love around here but they ride really well and its smooth as glass. The shop offered a new leftover one thay had for 40% off and I want it but feel bad going Shimano and cookie cutter trek < (lower case). The wife said get it. I am torn. The reviwes are glowing on those bikes and the fit is awesome. What say the Paceline? Buy the plastic bike and ride it? Probably better than not riding at all.
She has no issue with me riding the trails and really encourages it but with me being the income source for the family with two kids dosent really want me in the roads for a while after two incedents like I have had.

As long as it ain't spam/scam/slam/sram..sure...when the shimano stuff starts to fail..start the 'conversion'...:rolleyes:

Cicli
07-10-2016, 06:47 AM
As long as it ain't spam/scam/slam/sram..sure...when the shimano stuff starts to fail..start the 'conversion'...:rolleyes:

Yeah, thats the thing. I dont want to like it but it shifts perfect and I dont care if it goes to crap. Its disposable.

KonaSS
07-10-2016, 06:52 AM
Ummmmm......there is so much biased BS in your post, I don't know what to say.

Shimano components are great and aren't going to just fail out of the blue.

Plastic bikes can be fantastic, they "could" even be better than the precious handbuilt bikes that are favored here. (By the way, the plastic bikes are built by hand)

Trek makes great bikes. You can get a one off paint job from Trek if it makes you feel mo special and not cookie cutter.

I would say go with an open mind, and forget about all these biases you have built up in your mind. I admire a custom bike as well, but they aren't "better."

Tandem Rider
07-10-2016, 07:01 AM
Parts is parts as they say, and they all break.

IMO it is best to have a do-all bike that doesn't need babying in the stable. It would be the last bike I would part with. In my case it's an old aluminum framed Trek cross bike that I've ridden the snot out of, only the headset is original. I don't neglect or abuse it but it gets ridden. Get yourself a bike like that and ride it, sun, rain, snow, river crossings, trails, gravel, pavement. Just replace parts as they wear out or break.

We all need at least 1 bike where it's all about the ride, not the bike.

Black Dog
07-10-2016, 07:10 AM
Ride the bike that puts a smile on your face or brings you to the places that do. When all is said and done it is the ride not the bike that matters. :)

Tony T
07-10-2016, 07:11 AM
The whole time I was beside myself with how smooth it was and how well it handled whatever gravel and sand we ran across….
….they ride really well and its smooth as glass. The shop offered a new leftover one thay had for 40% off…
The reviews are glowing on those bikes and the fit is awesome. What say the Paceline? Buy the plastic bike and ride it?

Nah, you should buy a steel frame from eBay (even if the fit is bad), then spend the rest of the summer building it with Campy SR.

"The reviews are glowing on those bikes and the fit is awesome" and you're still looking for more opinions?
(the definition of paralysis by analysis)

Wait too long and someone else will buy the bike.

Hilltopperny
07-10-2016, 07:20 AM
I prefer my campy equipped handbuilt bicycles, but always keep a plastic production bike in the mix. The big companies do a great job of making a comfortable and quality product. I say if you like the fit and the ride then buy it. It is a freeing feeling to just get out and ride something that you aren't too worried about messing up and suits your needs. I have a giant tcr with di2 that I picked up a few weeks ago and even though it's shimano and a plastic bike made in Asia, it's still a great bike and puts a smile on my face when I ride it. Sorry about your riding buddy and the incident that caused this. At least you will still be getting in ride time and enjoying yourself.:beer:

fourflys
07-10-2016, 08:19 AM
well, I understand your trepidation on the road riding...

as for the bike, brand loyalty is a bit silly in my opinion... I'm a big fan of buying what works for you. I've had Campy, Shimano and currently all but one bike has SRAM and I have NO problems... I know some folks have had issues with SRAM, but it's just worked for me. I imagine while some have had some issues with carbon and/or Trek, I best most have had a great history with them...

It sounds like the bike is what you're looking for and you love the way it rides/shifts/etc... why would you NOT get it? That would seem as silly as someone looking over a current Hyundai because it's not a Honda, assuming it checks all the other boxes...

I say go with it and change later as you gather the funds or whatever else...

Good Luck, I wish we had some better trails around here!

F150
07-10-2016, 08:34 AM
It's a tool. Find one that works for you.

rwsaunders
07-10-2016, 08:43 AM
I rode a sweet 50 miler on San Juan Island recently on a rented aluminum Fuji disc cross/gravel bike with 10 speed Tiagra, low budget factory wheels/tires, an even lower budget saddle and it did the job for me. My only gripe was the rider (me) who kept screwing up the downshifts as I missed my Campag Ergo thumbies.

roguedog
07-10-2016, 08:45 AM
Agree with all the above.

It fits.
You like it.
It meets your needs.
You would be riding.

What's the problem? (though I'd have the same inner discussion so I get it :) )

Get it. Go ride. Smile a lot.

parris
07-10-2016, 09:08 AM
It really sounds like the bike "talked" to you. When that happens it's usually a good thing to listen to what your body's saying. The bonus is that your wife's on board.

CampyorBust
07-10-2016, 09:24 AM
So how are your thumbs dealing with the sudden lack of meaning in life?

Welcome to the Thumb Twiddler Club I guess…

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/epicrapbattlesofhistory/images/3/31/Homer-twiddle-thumb.gif/revision/latest?cb=20150209103533

etu
07-10-2016, 09:24 AM
you can ride a plastic bike and still be a snob. it IS all about the ride, but then it really isn't for some of us - including you. nothing wrong appreciating and riding a well made and built custom/small production bike. it can be fun to be a snob as long as we don't take ourselves too seriously about it.
i'd say go buy it, enjoy it and imagine how nice it would be have an equivalent version built by crumpton.

eddief
07-10-2016, 09:27 AM
There must be something good about em.

Sierra
07-10-2016, 09:31 AM
Buy the bike. Have lots of fun. And F**k the snobs.

saab2000
07-10-2016, 09:33 AM
There's no shame in riding a better bike.

I'm a fan of handbuilt customs as well. But I also ride, and greatly appreciate, a Giant TCR Advanced SL with Shimano D/A. It's a fantastic bicycle.

Ride what you like. If you like the Trek with Shimano maybe it's because there is actually some credence to the marketing.

I'm watching the Tour right now and they're all riding 'plastic' bikes. If they sucked you'd see outliers riding something else. They don't suck.

Mzilliox
07-10-2016, 09:34 AM
you are funny man, a bike is a bike and parts are parts. If it works for you better than the other stuff you have been filtering through, well then it would be silly not to pull the trigger. its all about the ride, the rest is gravy:beer:

etu
07-10-2016, 09:39 AM
you are funny man, a bike is a bike and parts are parts. If it works for you better than the other stuff you have been filtering through, well then it would be silly not to pull the trigger. its all about the ride, the rest is gravy:beer:

but it is fun to talk about and drool over the gravy!;)

Sierra
07-10-2016, 09:44 AM
I find it interesting that you would be so concerned as to poll the forum for its reaction to your purchasing this perfectly fine bike. I've not been on this forum for very long, but it has become sufficiently clear to me by now that a lot gets sniffed at and ignominiously kicked to the side by this crowd. I think I need to go and find a different forum, frankly. And I say this as somebody who owns some classy artisania myself. One thing, though--I've never lost that sense of entrancement that I originally had when I was five years old and was lucky enough to have received a humble hand-me-down bike from a neighbor kid. ;)

CampyorBust
07-10-2016, 10:33 AM
I find it interesting that you would be so concerned as to poll the forum for its reaction to your purchasing this perfectly fine bike. I've not been on this forum for very long, but it has become sufficiently clear to me by now that a lot gets sniffed at and ignominiously kicked to the side by this crowd. I think I need to go and find a different forum, frankly. And I say this as somebody who owns some classy artisania myself. One thing, though--I've never lost that sense of entrancement that I originally had when I was five years old and was lucky enough to have received a humble hand-me-down bike from a neighbor kid. ;)

Meh, a bit pessimistic me thinks.

For the most part in my experience people are people (dung beetles) where ever you go. You have to be sympathic to our lot in life, making the best out of a sheety situation. Some are better at it than others, but for the most part they will make assumptions at the drop of a hat, act upon it and pounce at the first sign of weekness. Sigh. The challenge is to find the few enlightened diamonds in the rough who are the light at the end of the tunnel. There are a fair few diamonds around here and some beetles who have piqued my interest. That is why I stick around.

As for component/brand loyalty it has been discussed ad naseum. Have some fun with it!:)

Dave B
07-10-2016, 10:35 AM
Here is my take.

I have ridden custom bikes built for me by IF for years. I have purchased two "china" bikes that are copies or some sort of blemish bike that ended up on aliexpress. I have ridden bikes that are mass produced.

Each bike did/does its job and while some are better than others at no time was I upset or beating myself up for what I was on while riding it. I think if you enjoyed the Trek and had fun, the end of your quandary is here. Get it ride it, don't care about paint chips, scratches, etc. My guess is that if you enjoy the heck out of it then you might actually grow to appreciate the amount of tech put into these disposable bikes.

I also suffer from worrying about what others think and getting better at it. Many people will tell you not to care about what other's think about your ride and they are right, but if you LOVE bikes as so many of us do it is hard not to put some thought (as you are doing) into what we choose and how it looks.

I have overlooked mass produced bikes in hopes of a custom built one and know that pull. I now find bikes or should I say look for deals. I have great bikes now, GREAT bikes, and have custom (not built for me) carbon (the Ibis and the China bikes) and mass produced bikes a salsa and niner.

You have to remind yourself that people who complain about what you bought on the internet do not matter. I caught hella crap for buying kn ock off bikes here and guess what? I still ride it and just deleted the PM's form folks who called me a thief, cheat, scum, etc. These forumites were so upset that I spent MY money on something I wanted and not what they would approve of.

This will come out the wrong way over the internet so understand the bigger picture.

Life is too short so sack up and buy whatever bike(s) makes you happy that can be agreed on with your spouse. As for riding and getting hit and being the sole breadwinner.

Well take out a big insurance policy and just live life. It is too short to worry about what could go wrong, instead of what fun you might have.

Best of luck and since I am yet another voice in the internet noise toss my advice on the pile with the others if it doesn't help ya out.

Dave

chiasticon
07-10-2016, 11:04 AM
I get not wanting to ride the roads. we have a lot of paved shared use trails around here and some crushed limestone ones as well. I generally ride the paved ones a fair bit (especially when it's dusk/dawn-ish), if nothing else than to just get to where I wish to really ride. some people turn their nose up at 'em as not being real road riding, but I say if you have the option of being away from cars, TAKE IT.

as far as the bike, personally I for some reason always look at my carbon bikes as needing to be babied and I'm afraid of beating the snot out of them. metal bikes can usually be fixed or repainted if something goes awry, and when riding my brain reasons that they're stronger and less likely to get damaged anyway, so I'm less gentle with them. especially Ti. and the advantage there is it's a fantastic ride to boot. so I'd say if you want a Moots, just find a used one. there's plenty of 'em around. and don't baby it!

groupset-wise, there's nothing wrong with Shimano or Sram even (the horror!). they all work fine, they all have issues from time to time, none are perfect, they all shift slightly differently, etc. ride whichever one you like and don't mind paying for and let everyone else just deal with it because it's your damn bike! :beer:

fuzzalow
07-10-2016, 11:28 AM
Cycling for the cognoscenti will always exist within a conflicted and contradictory dichotomy between status and ride. I'd like to believe it is all done in service of the ride, which it is. But I also believe that, for me, I will never be forced into a compromising position to ride either Shimano nor ride a big-box-bike brand like Trek because I'll know how to cobble the same kinda bike from more unique sources and within budgetary constraints, if necessary.

Life's fulla too many compromises already - what better reason to hold true than for stuff you like and doesn't involve life or death 'cos it's only a bike. This approach just requires a little more work instead of the instant gratification of buying a manufactured bike. But that's OK, because in bikes I know what I'm doin' so to do wind up doing something that does not take advantage of my own expertise seems like shooting myself in the foot.

Ken Robb
07-10-2016, 12:52 PM
I don't know the regular price so I don't know what 40% off amounts to but if we are talking about a bike that works so well for you at less than $2,000 it sounds like it would be hard to do better.

I just "celebrated" the second anniversary of my nasty crash when I was taken out by a car while riding my Ducati. I was going about 40mph and wearing full-face Arai helmet, armored jacket and gloves. 9 hours of surgery, five weeks in hospital, many months of pt.

I haven't had any interest/willingness to ride where a car could "get me" since then. My helmet was chipped on all sides and the chin bar ground down a lot. If not for that helmet I would have much face left if I had even survived.

I used to think I was being a little unwise descending at 40+ mph on my bike while wearing lycra and a comparatively flimsy bicycle helmet. Now I get sweaty palms just thinking about doing that.

So, I absolutely understand anyone's concern about cycling near cars/trucks. I also love riding in the woods and other places where I can get away from the feeling of the city. I wish I had better access to rides like that.

fourflys
07-10-2016, 01:14 PM
So, I absolutely understand anyone's concern about cycling near cars/trucks. I also love riding in the woods and other places where I can get away from the feeling of the city. I wish I had better access to rides like that.

Ken,
You've probably been there, but Lake Hodges (both sides) up in North County has some great trails that are easy enough on a cross bike... I also loved PQ Canyon, but it could get a little old... Also, Murphey Canyon was a lot of fun... I can only imagine what's out in the Eastlake/Chula Vista area... Man, I really miss SD! ;)

berserk87
07-10-2016, 01:18 PM
I have owned multiple Dura Ace groups, and multiple Campy Record groups. It all works just fine. I like Campy due to the thumb shifter. Feels like it was made for me. Outside of that, there's no difference. The high end Shimano and high end Campy stuff all gets 'er done.

The Campy snobbery wears thin, but it's a really minor annoyance. The boasting cracks me up about groups or parts - as if the person boasting had anything to do with the success of it. All they did was buy it.

Bike parts are fun, but the best post in this thread was that "it's a tool. find what works for you". The point being, I don't give a rat's arse what group you buy - just don't douche all over my choice.

This topic has been discussed before, but who cares? This is a discussion forum - that's the point.

purpurite
07-10-2016, 05:05 PM
Don't knock it 'til you try it.

I built my bike last fall specifically for the trails out here—and yes, they are great for putting in good, solid miles. I specifically built my Serotta CX for gravel using the SRAM 1x11 Force setup, and it's been great. Completely flawless since break-in. I know you dislike SRAM, for whatever reason, but you do spend a lot of time bashing other products. Ease up on the contempt for non-Campy products and ride what feels good. Ride what works. Ride what you can afford.

We're about the same size, and ride virtually identical size frames. If you ever want to try the Fierte CX on the trails out here, just ask. The Herrick/Danada/Blackwell/McKee loops out here are a blast, and you can pile on about 40 miles without overlapping too much of the trails.

And if you dig that Trek, buy it. I'll ride with you anytime you want out here, as long as you can handle riding with a SRAM-grouped bike. ;)

fourflys
07-10-2016, 05:08 PM
Wise words right here!

I built my bike last fall specifically for the trails out here—and yes, they are great for putting in good, solid miles. I specifically built my Serotta CX for gravel using the SRAM 1x11 Force setup, and it's been great. Completely flawless since break-in. I know you dislike SRAM, for whatever reason, but you do spend a lot of time bashing other products. Ease up on the contempt for non-Campy products and ride what feels good. Ride what works. Ride what you can afford.

We're about the same size, and ride virtually identical size frames. If you ever want to try the Fierte CX on the trails out here, just ask. The Herrick/Danada/Blackwell/McKee loops out here are a blast, and you can pile on about 40 miles without overlapping too much of the trails.

And if you dig that Trek, buy it. I'll ride with you anytime you want out here, as long as you can handle riding with a SRAM-grouped bike. ;)

Cicli
07-10-2016, 05:08 PM

I may hit you up for a ride. I have no issue with someome riding anything that works for them. Get out and ride, thats all that counts.

purpurite
07-10-2016, 05:31 PM
I may hit you up for a ride. I have no issue with someome riding anything that works for them. Get out and ride, thats all that counts.

Bang. There's your answer. :banana:

R3awak3n
07-10-2016, 05:37 PM
i have owned multiple dura ace groups, and multiple campy record groups. It all works just fine. I like campy due to the thumb shifter. Feels like it was made for me. Outside of that, there's no difference. The high end shimano and high end campy stuff all gets 'er done.

The campy snobbery wears thin, but it's a really minor annoyance. The boasting cracks me up about groups or parts - as if the person boasting had anything to do with the success of it. All they did was buy it.

Bike parts are fun, but the best post in this thread was that "it's a tool. Find what works for you". The point being, i don't give a rat's arse what group you buy - just don't douche all over my choice.

This topic has been discussed before, but who cares? This is a discussion forum - that's the point.

100%

rzthomas
07-10-2016, 05:42 PM
I must not belong here: I sold off all my Campy stuff to go to Shimano.

oldpotatoe
07-10-2016, 05:54 PM

Nancy:p:eek::):)

p nut
07-10-2016, 08:14 PM
Domane is a bike that got my interest a few weeks ago when I was looking for a dirt road bike. Geometry was about perfect with the higher stack height and slacker HTA. Clearance for 32's was nice as well.

I was going to move on it, but got a sweet deal on a Warbird. But I'd have had no problems riding that Trek. Very nice bike.

mkbk
07-10-2016, 08:26 PM
All of my families heavily ridden bicycles are Shimano equipped. I have them serviced regularly at the best Campagnolo Pro shop I know of. :eek:

jtbadge
07-10-2016, 08:48 PM

I ride SRAM and love it. :)

FlashUNC
07-10-2016, 09:04 PM

No one likes a quitter.

oldpotatoe
07-11-2016, 05:50 AM
There's no shame in riding a better bike.

I'm a fan of handbuilt customs as well. But I also ride, and greatly appreciate, a Giant TCR Advanced SL with Shimano D/A. It's a fantastic bicycle.

Ride what you like. If you like the Trek with Shimano maybe it's because there is actually some credence to the marketing.

I'm watching the Tour right now and they're all riding 'plastic' bikes. If they sucked you'd see outliers riding something else. They don't suck.

They don't but it's all about 'win on sunday, sell on monday'..$, cost of manufacture(low), selling, sponsorship, advertising. Pros are paid to ride what they ride. Some 'big boys' have an input but generally, it's just a bike, as been said, a tool, not an end in itself. It's chosen by what and how much is offered and the 'promise' that it will be reliable.

But 'buying', a whole different animal..why some people drive Toyotas and some drive Audis..

Sierra
07-11-2016, 07:30 AM
They don't but it's all about 'win on sunday, sell on monday'..$, cost of manufacture(low), selling, sponsorship, advertising. Pros are paid to ride what they ride. Some 'big boys' have an input but generally, it's just a bike, as been said, a tool, not an end in itself. It's chosen by what and how much is offered and the 'promise' that it will be reliable.

But 'buying', a whole different animal..why some people drive Toyotas and some drive Audis..

So, after the Tour or whatever, is over they go back to riding their custom-built, boutique steel framed bikes? I seriously doubt it. They go back to riding other "disposables"--only of their own choice. Let's face it, these expensive steel frames is a fixation of the power shoppers.

fignon's barber
07-11-2016, 07:38 AM
I'm a Campagnolo user since the late 1980's, but honestly I am under no illusion that it is better than Shimano. For me, it's just what I'm used to. I know the nuances of maintenance, the feel, and I've always had multiple bikes/wheels that I want to be compatible.
Two years ago, I got a Ridley X-Night cross bike that came with ultegra and disc brakes (It was the first complete bike I had ever bought, but they were changing distribution so they gave me the complete bike for less than the price of frameset only). It was my first shimano machine, and works great.

carpediemracing
07-11-2016, 07:44 AM
I desperately wanted STI / Shimano when it first came out. However I'm uncoordinated enough with small enough hands that I'd inadvertently brake when I tried to shift. So I suffered and looked at the STI bikes enviously and stayed with my bar end shifter. I still think that the trademark "cable in the air" STI look is a super cool look.

When Ergo came out it was great for me, with the thumb thing and separate brake lever. I regularly hold the shift lever closer to the bar if I think we'll slow down a touch. The levers were clunky, heavy, shifting was pretty poor compared to Shimano because cog profiles were horrible, but once you replaced the extra thick inner pulley cage with a thin steel one you were good. I was an early adopter so my first rear derailleur ended up wrapped around the spokes due to the super thick inner pulley cage getting into the near vertical drive side spokes.

I've since tried STI again, multiple times, and each time after a while I inadvertently brake when I shift. I also tried SRAM but with so much invested in 10s Campy (2 of my bikes, Missus's bike, tandem, plus spares) I have stuck with Campy.

I do like their newest Ergo lever better than the 2nd generation one.

Big Dan
07-11-2016, 08:10 AM
So we are back to 7th grade......

:eek:

rzthomas
07-11-2016, 08:17 AM
No one likes a quitter.

Well, you know, all this stuff does is make it easier or harder to pedal a bike or slow it to a stop. There ain't no real magic to it.

;)

fuzzalow
07-11-2016, 08:46 AM
A curious and rather comical thing in consumerism when the marketeers have cultivated buyers to see their own self image as inseparable from the items they buy. So any opinions about the consumer good, positive or negative, get taken as a compliment or slight by the person him/herself, respectively. People thinking they are what they own or consume is the corrosive, ugly underside of modern first-world society.

C'mon, nobody really gives a hoot about what brand of bike or components are used by somebody else. But at the same time, that doesn't mean my own choices about brand of bike or component aren't carefully considered. So what.

Forget bike parts, car culture has done this pervasively for decades. What you get is a slew of incompetent numbnuts behind the wheel of M-class Bimmers that think owning the car means having the skill. Paddle-shifting saved every one of these sorry wankers from the derision of not knowing how to heel-and-toe a transmission much less being able to go uphill from a stop without rolling backwards into the car behind them.

William
07-11-2016, 08:54 AM
Campy is for people with wee hands. :p

:D:D;);)

William

Mzilliox
07-11-2016, 09:03 AM
Campy is for people with wee hands. :p

:D:D;);)

William

Hey I resemble that Remark!!!
It comes down to the shifters for me. The Campy thumb button is oh so intuitive, even better when i can shift through 3 gears at once. i hate the way Sram shifts, but i use it too. otherwise the Sram Red group seems bombproof. i also prefer the shape of the Campy hoods over the Sram or Shimano. I don't appreciate the way Shimano makes everything obsolete in less than 3 years, but all of them do it to some degree.

CampyorBust
07-11-2016, 09:10 AM
Double da-da-da-dump! Da?;)

/thread

whateveronfire
07-11-2016, 10:13 AM
My road bike is a Domane 5.2 with Ultegra. I was looking at hand built titanium, and ended up buying the Domane (on sale for about half of what I was going to spend in the bespoke). It's a blast to ride, handles well, shifts well. Sure, it's a plastic bike and doesn't stand out. I've not regretted buying it for a second. I wouldn't call anything that costs $2000+ disposable, but that is entirely subjective.

Kirk007
07-11-2016, 01:28 PM
So, after the Tour or whatever, is over they go back to riding their custom-built, boutique steel framed bikes? I seriously doubt it. They go back to riding other "disposables"--only of their own choice. Let's face it, these expensive steel frames is a fixation of the power shoppers.

Nah, they continue to ride their Sponsor's bikes. Now when they retire they ride what they like. For some, like Michael Barry and Dede Demet (now Barry) it's gasp - steel.

"We are experienced cyclists. The builders and owners have raced in the Tour de France, raced in the Olympics, won National road, cyclocross, criterium and track titles, thrashed over the cobbled roads in the toughest northern European races, won World Championships, have toured extensively throughout the world, and make our daily way through the city by bike." - Mariposa website.

Others make their own or try to .... a little flax with your carbon anyone ... Museeuw.

I wonder what bike makes Eddy's heart sing?

Sierra
07-11-2016, 01:39 PM
Nah, they continue to ride their Sponsor's bikes. Now when they retire they ride what they like. For some, like Michael Barry and Dede Demet (now Barry) it's gasp - steel.

"We are experienced cyclists. The builders and owners have raced in the Tour de France, raced in the Olympics, won National road, cyclocross, criterium and track titles, thrashed over the cobbled roads in the toughest northern European races, won World Championships, have toured extensively throughout the world, and make our daily way through the city by bike." - Mariposa website.

Others make their own or try to .... a little flax with your carbon anyone ... Museeuw.

I wonder what bike makes Eddy's heart sing?

Well, for my part, they all make my heart sing. I guess that is why I don't understand threads like this. I have and love steel, aluminum, titanium, CF; Campy and Shimano. It is all good! I love the compliance and solid, stable feel of an old steel frame, but would I ever now give up the responsiveness and utter litheness of carbon fiber on the steepest climbs? The answer: NO.

Kirk007
07-11-2016, 02:56 PM

Kirk007
07-11-2016, 03:10 PM
Well, for my part, they all make my heart sing. I guess that is why I don't understand threads like this. I have and love steel, aluminum, titanium, CF; Campy and Shimano. It is all good! I love the compliance and solid, stable feel of an old steel frame, but would I ever now give up the responsiveness and utter litheness of carbon fiber on the steepest climbs? The answer: NO.

I agree its all good. No carbon in my current stable but that's not because of any philosophical thing, there will probably be one someday. And Campy, Shimano, Sram - have them all. My Peg Marcelo is pretty responsive and lithe on all planes.

No need to overthink the thread - it is what it is, just water cooler give and take.