PDA

View Full Version : why everyone should go for a ride with tri-athletes

Too Tall
07-01-2006, 06:50 PM
Today I promised I'd go on a training ride with this young gun I'm preparing for L.Placid. A group of Tri dewds...ouch. I can see it coming. The plan is to ride for 125 miles...I can see this coming a mile or three away. We blast off and are "pacelining" at 22-26 within 15 mins. and avg. 19.5mph in really hilly terrain for the first 60. Alternately I will pull at 32mph, glance back for the next guy giving them all the right queues to pull thru...what happens is they attack my pulls...***??? But at 32 mph I'd better hang on and see if I can just friggin' stay!!!

Slooooowly it dawns on me, this ain't the USCF buddy. THIS is training, these guys it turns out are all top age group finishers at Tri races all over the country and one of the guys is a top dog THREE times at Ironman Hawaii!

I'm slowly getting the feel for their pace and method. They do sit up but they do it at 22mph riding side by side...no draft and after some chit chat time to throwdown again. We stop for water , I begged, and go again. Time for 20 min. repeats up a friggin mtn. ???? No thanks, I head home.

Guys, these are hard men. Very different type of training but obviously it works and thought I'd relate and don't hate :) All were the best of sorts and only wish to work together to get FAST...it works...obviously.

Had to chuckle. Evertime I had an opportunity to dive a corner on the Spectrum I'd really nail it out of the saddle after and open (NO CHIT) 200' gap!!! Also, everytime I big ringed in response at the tops of climbs I dropped them like rocks. They had a laugh too "dewd, you know we can't corner or accelerate" ;) Best comment "Bro, you are pulling signals out of the playbook we don't know...us tri-athletes just point out holes and stuff" ;) Funny.

Had a great if not painful time. Nice guys. Uhhh, make that nice FAST guys.

Go ride with a tri-athlete and do it their way.

mike p
07-01-2006, 07:05 PM
We have tri guys show up at our tues nite races all the time. Many are strong,very strong but they never win. No racing skills, pace lines,sprinting,cornering. They just go to the front and hammer. Possibly they don't care about winning anyway. They may be there just for the trainning. Glad to have em.

Mike

Fixed
07-01-2006, 09:26 PM
bro the good thing they don't expect you to pull just sit-in
cheers

H.Frank Beshear
07-01-2006, 09:30 PM
They play in water then they ride fast for a great distance, You race. At the end of the 125 miles you win, They get off a perfectly good bicycle and run some silly distance. When the triathalon is over one of them has won. My shop had the graphics all worked up for a YTri t shirt, it was freakin hilarious. They play a different game TT you did good. Frank

obtuse
07-01-2006, 09:39 PM
i'd rather ride with dopers.

obtuse

oracle
07-01-2006, 09:54 PM
without exception, every tri 'guy' that i've ridden with had basically one speed: 3/4 throttle... which can be pretty fast to hold in the wind on yer own as they are likely to do..
but it is also usually true that a real acceleration inflicted upon such a rider can reduce them to tears of acid blood pretty quickly.

Fixed
07-01-2006, 09:58 PM
bro you haven't been on spencer smith's wheel for 60 miles .
cheers

oracle
07-01-2006, 09:59 PM
bro you haven't been on spencer smith's wheel for 60 miles .
cheers

that is true

yeehawfactor
07-01-2006, 10:48 PM
tri guys are fun. it's like motorpacing.

Sandy
07-02-2006, 01:20 AM

obtuse

You probably have. :)

Big Dope Sandy

erty65
07-02-2006, 04:20 AM

obtuse

What is it with you and doping?

loctite
07-02-2006, 07:08 AM
Funny story...

Tri guy comes in the shop the other day and he says "us triathletes are know for our exceptional bike handling skills"

ha, it killed me!

classic1
07-02-2006, 11:07 AM
why everyone should go for a ride with tri-athletes

..because sometimes you need to live dangerously. :D