PDA

View Full Version : avid juicy ultimate rebuilding?

jimcav
07-09-2016, 06:10 PM
I bought a pretty nice used GF superfly for my wife to use (until my son gets over 5') she finally was willing to ride it on some easy trails with our boys but the right (rear) brake lever suddenly does nothing--it compressed and stays there, i can easily move it back and forth but it does nothing. i took it to my local shop where the guy pronounced it a dead master cylinder without touching it, told me there were no parts, and I'd have to get a complete new rear brake. Is it true you can't rebuild the lever or simply attach a different lever/cylinder to the brake line (assuming the fitting is universal or adaptable)?
appreciate any insight--my wife rarely rides this bike, and my son is about 4-6 months away from being tall enough, so I really don't want to spend $150 on a new brake
jim

Joxster
07-09-2016, 06:19 PM
Best fix for Avids is to buy Shimano

dustyrider
07-09-2016, 06:24 PM
Don't know about interchangeable options. However, I have an old set of juicy 7s kicking around. I know I rebuilt them before I put them up, but I can't say how they're doing now...if you're interested, I'd be happy to send them along for the cost of shipping. I'd be surprised if they aren't completely functional these were sort of the high water mark for SRAM back in the day.

jimcav
07-09-2016, 06:49 PM
Don't know about interchangeable options. However, I have an old set of juicy 7s kicking around. I know I rebuilt them before I put them up, but I can't say how they're doing now...if you're interested, I'd be happy to send them along for the cost of shipping. I'd be surprised if they aren't completely functional these were sort of the high water mark for SRAM back in the day.

i don't know disc brake stuff at all, but am trying to research. I found an ultimate lever service kit, and a caliper kit (since the shop kid didn't actually look at anything, I am not sure if it would need both, or if it is worth the $40-50 those kits will cost me (and then take it to the shop to properly add fluid/bleed etc), versus just getting different brakes. She likes the look of the white lever body and caliper, so probably worth a shot--but what size rotors do the jujimicy 7 you have work with (or would that not matter?)

dustyrider
07-09-2016, 07:03 PM
i don't know disc brake stuff at all, but am trying to research. I found an ultimate lever service kit, and a caliper kit (since the shop kid didn't actually look at anything, I am not sure if it would need both, or if it is worth the $40-50 those kits will cost me (and then take it to the shop to properly add fluid/bleed etc), versus just getting different brakes. She likes the look of the white lever body and caliper, so probably worth a shot--but what size rotors do the jujimicy 7 you have work with (or would that not matter?)

Size of the rotor dictates the adapter size needed. I was figuring you could just slap these brakes on and use your current rotors/adapters. I do have a couple complete sets of rotors and adapters laying around, but they're all 185/203 and well used. The brakes I'm offering aren't pretty. Plenty of character!

CampyorBust
07-09-2016, 07:44 PM

Sadly yes this is true.

However I have always made due with Avids, first the juicy 7 and now the Elixir 5. Of course the shop told you that, not surprises there though they could be right. However before getting a new brake which actually might be the easiest and possibly most cost effective solution. A few things to keep in mind you bought the bike used, it is entirely possible these poor brakes have never seen a bleed and are clogged or contaminated. A good bleed or two might be just the ticket. Otherwise I think you might be able to get lever and put it all back together, but at that point it would be worth it to just get a used Deore or XT brake.

Bleed kit - $30

Bleed kit+ new lever and hoses =$50-70

Used Brake - $40-50

New Deore or XT brake - $50-80

Oh if you are going to bleed em, might as well give the rotors and pads a little tlc.

My elixir calipers lock up in really hot weather, I let out a little oil and they continue to function. Though I clean the rotors before every ride.

Brakes = just give into the Shim side and be done with it.

peanutgallery
07-09-2016, 08:37 PM
Ayyyyyyy lmao

Tis sad but true, by the time you scare up all the parts and do the work you still run the risk of the avids even taking a bleed, particularly the rear. Cheapest shimano is infinitely better and easy to bleed or burp

jimcav
07-09-2016, 10:46 PM
So for shimano is there a decent older model you all like such as xt 785? The avid rotors are 160 front and 180 rear and look to be in good shape, in fact the bike looks great so the bleeding trial might be worth it. After posting here in found a juicy ultimate lever service kit for $12 so ordered it, but if I can get new shimano for $50-70 I will go that route

peanutgallery
07-09-2016, 11:48 PM
500 series or better, newer deore on up can all use the finned pads. Always a little leery to get too crazy replacing pieces and parts with avids. Even when just replacing the pads they get over bled and you have to fuss with them. Bike mechanics everywhere should start a class action lawsuit :)

Current rotors will work fine

CiclistiCliff
07-10-2016, 02:16 AM
Even the M396 and similar models are light years better than Avids. They're about 35 a piece I think.

jimcav
07-10-2016, 10:24 PM
Chain reaction has good price on SLX so will order the rear and then down the road do the front too