PDA

View Full Version : Fizik Aliante

Sierra
07-09-2016, 05:29 PM
The last time I purchased a Fizik Aliante saddle was between 8 and 10 years ago and back then there was only one instantiation of this marvelous saddle. Now, when I have a need to buy a new one, I find that there are the following for sale (very confusing!):

00 Carbon
Gamma K:ium
R1 Carbon
R3 K:ium
R5 K;ium
VS & VSX (not interested in these)

My question is simple: which one of these would get me the absolute closest to my old saddle?

Thanks.

Exonerv
07-09-2016, 05:48 PM
Did your old Aliante have a plastic or carbon fiber shell? The higher end Aliante's use a carbon fiber shell, which to me seems to offer a little more spring/shock absorption.

I have yet to ride the newest shape, but the old shape can still be readily found on the Bay.

Sierra
07-09-2016, 05:59 PM
Did your old Aliante have a plastic or carbon fiber shell? The higher end Aliante's use a carbon fiber shell, which to me seems to offer a little more spring/shock absorption.

I have yet to ride the newest shape, but the old shape can still be readily found on the Bay.

Hi, Exonerv. I have two bikes with the same Aliante saddle: carbon shell, ti rails; both blue in color. I want to replace the saddle on a 3rd bike I have that currently has a nice, sleek Selle Italia SLR saddle that I seem to be having problems adjusting to. I hate messing with what works. Maybe I'll look on the Bay.

Thanks!

R3awak3n
07-09-2016, 06:33 PM
New ones have slighlty different shape and a lot of people prefer the old one. Definitely either ebay or put a wtb in the classifieds

johnmdesigner
07-09-2016, 06:40 PM
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1086608_-1___400447

This one.
Do some checking overseas as well.

Exonerv
07-09-2016, 06:45 PM
I'm reasonably sure the Gamma/Sport & R5 versions all have plastic shells. The carbon & Ti railed models that I have seen all have carbon shells. K:ium rails can be either carbon or plastic shells.

I'm still learning the differences in the new R models. Have been curious to try the new shape, but several folks on the PL have given it the thumbs down. Has anyone been happy with the new shape who also liked the original?

johnmdesigner
07-09-2016, 06:55 PM
http://www.cambriabike.com/prod69718

Cambria bike has the carbon/plastic shell with metal rails. Same shape on top but not quite as comfortable (in my opinion) as the all carbon shell.

johnmdesigner
07-09-2016, 07:07 PM
Bit cheaper.

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/fizik-aliante-gamma-saddle-with-kium-rails?v=kw00000&adl=1&utm_campaign=products&utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&gclid=CPvW8ujM580CFYIehgodj9oLLg

Sierra
07-09-2016, 07:12 PM
Thanks, all, for the information. I'm glad I checked in here because I was very nearly just going to go ahead and order one of the new ones. I'll check out your suggestions. Thanks again!

johnmdesigner
07-09-2016, 07:31 PM
I'm reasonably sure the Gamma/Sport & R5 versions all have plastic shells. The carbon & Ti railed models that I have seen all have carbon shells. K:ium rails can be either carbon or plastic shells.

I'm still learning the differences in the new R models. Have been curious to try the new shape, but several folks on the PL have given it the thumbs down. Has anyone been happy with the new shape who also liked the original?

I have an r3 team sky.
My biggest gripe is that the saddle cover is not a smooth one piece like the old one but has a raised band of material at the back like a belted cow. It's not flush and though it doesn't seem to tear up my shorts I guess time will tell if the edge of the material will start to roll up. Comfort wise? Well when you get so used to the feel of the original it just doesn't feel the same.
Always gotta ruin a good thing...

cadence90
07-09-2016, 07:34 PM
I have an r3 team sky.
My biggest gripe is that the saddle cover is not a smooth one piece like the old one but has a raised band of material at the back like a belted cow. It's not flush and though it doesn't seem to tear up my shorts I guess time will tell if the edge of the material will start to roll up. Comfort wise? Well when you get so used to the feel of the original it just doesn't feel the same.
Always gotta ruin a good thing...
Exactly.

R3awak3n
07-09-2016, 08:04 PM
I agree, dumb move by fizik

johnmdesigner
07-09-2016, 08:14 PM
I never measured it but it doesn't feel like the same geometry in the back. Doesn't have that slight flaring out at the butt like the old one.
Plus they took that sexy notch out of the back. Probably easier to produce.
It is beautifully designed. If it had a smooth cover I'd probably be happy.

Sierra
07-09-2016, 08:23 PM
Wow--reading all of this is just so disconcerting. Why did Fizik mess with what was, to me and apparently so many others, the perfect saddle? Of course, I think we all know the answer to that question; but it is frustrating nevertheless.

I don't think I will bother with buying one of the new ones. It is either make friends with this new Selle Italia or somehow dig up an old Aliante in BLACK!

cadence90
07-09-2016, 09:11 PM
Yes, Fizik's recent saddle moves are confounding.

Well, consider yourself the latest member of TPLFOFSHC.* :)

*The Paceline Forum Older Fizik Saddle Hoarding Club.

johnmdesigner
07-09-2016, 09:45 PM
I have 5 in rotation. They'll probably outlive me.

Sierra
07-09-2016, 09:48 PM
I have 5 in rotation. They'll probably outlive me.

I have three in rotation. And, I see now, that I was a fool for not having bought more of these fine saddles when I had the opportunity to have done so.

Satellite
07-09-2016, 09:54 PM
I have three in rotation. And, I see now, that I was a fool for not having bought more of these fine saddles when I had the opportunity to have done so.

+1

Who would of thought they would change them so dramatically if only I had a time machine I would of bought more Colt Pythons too.

Very timely post I posted a WTT or WTB add for a twin flex Aliante. Dave Kirk just sold one I missed out on I think he might have the newer one for sale still. If I recall it was pretty cheap. You might give it a go. I know my posterior does like the new ones.

Here is the link to David Kirk's add:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=189140

Anyone that has an Aliante in there rotation and wants to try a Antares VS? I guess Iam a Bull NOT a Chameleon I know Iam NOT a Snake that was an @$$ hatchet.