PDA

View Full Version : I just need to learn those new bike sizing rules, I guess...

thwart
07-09-2016, 01:05 PM
Had to share this :confused: exchange:

Sent a msg to an eBay seller 'bikestuffguy', wondering about the frame measurements of a Serotta CIII. It was listed as a '55', but looked smaller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/401144740416

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/DhQAAOSwnNBXZX~e/s-l800.jpg

The seller has almost 4000 transactions (and a 100% feedback rating), so certainly no newbie to this.

Here are the replies:
Hi Tom,

Thank you for contacting us. Below are the measurements.
The frame is 55cm.
The top tube is 52.5 cm
The down tube is 60 cm
The chainstay is 41 cm
The seatstay is 49 cm

The serial number is CC0 53 1757

If you have any other questions let us know.

Taylor

Thanks, Taylor.

The serial number indicates that it's a 53 cm frame. Which goes along with your measurements, actually.

You may want to change your posting.

Tom

Hi Tom,

You are right, it is a 53cm when measured in the older style of to the center of the top tube, which is how they did it back when the bike was made. We were figuring if anyone is going to measure it today they would go with the more common measurement to the top of the clamp which is 55cm, almost 56. We will update the description to specify.

Taylor

ultraman6970
07-09-2016, 01:09 PM
"anyone is going to measure it today"??????

Well if you measure that trek style probably will measure like a 62 :p

BS, IMO the guys are putting numbers in there to just move the bike quick, specially that seatpost... ideal for the 6.2 tall rider :p

And the store is called cycling and whatever? :)

Dave B
07-09-2016, 01:58 PM
I got burnt once that way on a Colnago. I bought what I thought was a 56 (per the ad) and when I got it, the bike was a 54. Seller wouldn't hear that he/she made a mistake and that was that. Sold it, took a loss, but I suppose I should have asked better questions.

Tickdoc
07-09-2016, 01:58 PM
Had to share this :confused: exchange:

Sent a msg to an eBay seller 'bikestuffguy', wondering about the frame measurements of a Serotta CIII. It was listed as a '55', but looked smaller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/401144740416

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/DhQAAOSwnNBXZX~e/s-l800.jpg

The seller has almost 4000 transactions (and a 100% feedback rating), so certainly no newbie to this.

Here are the replies:

But your missing the point, it is set up for a rider who needs a 55 ;)

thwart
07-09-2016, 02:07 PM
but your missing the point, it is set up for a rider who needs a 55 ;)

Ah... I can see you have already moved to the new sizing standard.

:D

PaulE
07-09-2016, 02:23 PM
With the headtube extension and spacers, it is a virtual 55 at least!

cmg
07-09-2016, 02:26 PM
it's a 53 the serotta cIII, look at the 2005 cataloque. the "cco" means it's custom colorado which explains the 55cm top tube and head tube extender. i would look for the geometry for the colorado frames as a guide. they probably didn't stray too far from the original seat tube angle. do you want a 55cm top tube? is the question.

thwart
07-09-2016, 04:23 PM
it's a 53 the serotta cIII, look at the 2005 cataloque. the "cco" means it's custom colorado which explains the 55cm top tube and head tube extender.

OK... but the top tube is supposedly 52.5 (and it's a nice level one, too).

The whole thing had me a little bamboozled as well.

You're right about there being a head tube extension... perhaps that's the custom part.

John H.
07-09-2016, 04:41 PM
You see this same thing in the Paceline classifieds too.
People post a bike as a 55cm (and get me all excited)- I click on the ad and see that it has a 22cm headtube and a 55cm toptube ;)

oldpotatoe
07-10-2016, 05:57 AM
You see this same thing in the Paceline classifieds too.
People post a bike as a 55cm (and get me all excited)- I click on the ad and see that it has a 22cm headtube and a 55cm toptube ;)

Put 3 '55' sized bikes in a room and get 3 different size bikes.

Seattube angle and top tube length are the 'size' along with head tube length. It's a shame that seat tube length morphed into a frame 'size' cuz it really means little. If the top tube length is right along with seat tube angle and head tube length..the seat tube length is 'probably' OK..

Hilltopperny
07-10-2016, 10:55 AM
OK... but the top tube is supposedly 52.5 (and it's a nice level one, too).

The whole thing had me a little bamboozled as well.

You're right about there being a head tube extension... perhaps that's the custom part.

My csi is a custom 53.5. It has a similar geometry with a 56ish top tube. It fits like a 54 with the head tube extension. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a head tube extension on a horizontal top tube used to bring the bars up a bit and shorten the top tube?

dave thompson
07-10-2016, 02:07 PM
My csi is a custom 53.5. It has a similar geometry with a 56ish top tube. It fits like a 54 with the head tube extension. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a head tube extension on a horizontal top tube used to bring the bars up a bit and shorten the top tube?

It could but if the owner merely wanted higher bars he would keep the reach the same by using the correct stem length to compensate. That's my preference.