PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Input on Frame

spiderlake
07-01-2006, 02:45 PM
I've got a line on a Panasonic DX2000 frame on the cheap. I'm thinking I could use the frame as a commuter/fixie/running around town bike. I did some quick research and it seems Panasonic frames were made in Japan and stopped shipping to the USA in the late 80's. I also read they produced Schwinn frames at some point. Anyway, I'm guessing this is a late 70's/early 80's frame and it comes as a complete bike. I realize I'm asking about a frame/bike that is selling for less than 100 bucks but thought someone might have some insight on Panasonic. Thanks and now back to the TDF.

Climb01742
07-01-2006, 04:22 PM
i once had a panasonic ti frame from the mid-80s. even a ti fork. 20 years on, it's still going strong, still ridden by my ex-wife. very well made. but for the life of me i can't remember any particulars of how it rode, just that i enjoyed it. sorry, wish i could be more helpful.

JohnS
07-01-2006, 07:19 PM
They make good sound equipment, just like Shimano is a fishing tackle company. :D

spiderlake
07-02-2006, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the feedback. It is greatly appreciated. The same guy also has a Falcon in my size. Gotta love choices. Thanks again.

alancw3
07-03-2006, 06:31 AM
my understanding is that schwinn (the bought out company in brankruptcy) started transferring production of bikes to panasonic sometime in the 70's and were no longer producing any bikes in chicago. i bought a schwinn traveluer touring bike in 1986 that i was told was the last remaining bike built by panasonic in japan. by then all production was now in tawain. the workmanship on the traveleur was first class {lugged tange tubed frame). didn't particularly adjust well to the extra long w/b having been use to short w/b bikes. depending on the model you have probably a good canidate for a fixie.

try to get the falcon!