PDA

View Full Version : OT: job commute

joe.e
07-08-2016, 04:31 PM
I guess this kinda acts as a follow up to my previous post about recruiters.

So I have an offer on the table with a company that is pretty enticing; very 'web 2.0' with the benefits (stocked kitchen, on site gym, unlimited vacation, etc) and a generous salary and bonus package. The downside is the commute.

current:
9ish miles
20ish minutes by car
30ish minutes by bike

new place:
19 miles
minimum 40 minutes by car
not sure if doable on a bike

The biggest issue is the freeways I would have to take. If you live in L.A. this is going to be your nightmare-- I live in Burbank, and the new place is in calabasas. That means its the 405/101 or the 134/101 each day. After my final interview, it took me 50 minutes to get home at noon. I've never had a horrible commute, so I guess I'm thinking out loud/asking for advice from those of you who have been there/done that.

christian
07-08-2016, 04:35 PM
Do you enjoy motorcycles? If so, congrats!

If not, uuuuuuh, I don't know what to say. Tough choice.

joe.e
07-08-2016, 04:47 PM
Do you enjoy motorcycles? If so, congrats!

If not, uuuuuuh, I don't know what to say. Tough choice.

my dad works in santa monica and rides his motorcycle 99% of the time. from my parents place he can get to work in 35 minutes by bike, 80 by car.

Dead Man
07-08-2016, 04:51 PM
40 minutes isn't even bad by modern standards... I frequently have 60-80 minutes by car.. I don't even complain till its 90+

But 20 miles by bike... Man that's perfect bike commute distance! 40 miles a day, just for going to work? I would absolutely eat that up.

p nut
07-08-2016, 04:55 PM
I had a 50 minute commute (each way) for almost 11 years. Finally wised up and moved closer. More time with family, more time to ride, less risk getting in accidents, etc. Should've moved years ago. Hopefully that's an option for you.

weisan
07-08-2016, 04:56 PM
what's your biggest motivation for taking on this job?

If mathematically speaking,

Motivation > Longer commute

then, you are golden = what you waiting for, accept the job!

Tickdoc
07-08-2016, 04:57 PM

So I have an offer on the table with a company that is pretty enticing; very 'web 2.0' with the benefits (stocked kitchen, on site gym, unlimited vacation, etc) and a generous salary and bonus package. The downside is the commute.

current:
9ish miles
20ish minutes by car
30ish minutes by bike

new place:
19 miles

The biggest issue is the freeways I would have to take. If you live in L.A. this is going to be your nightmare-- I live in Burbank, and the new place is in calabasas. That means its the 405/101 or the 134/101 each day. After my final interview, it took me 50 minutes to get home at noon. I've never had a horrible commute, so I guess I'm thinking out loud/asking for advice from those of you who have been there/done that.

sounds like you've got it pretty good now if you live in L.A. and only have a twenty minute commute.

Does the work seem any better? I mean, more interesting, challenging, or offer more long term prospects?

If not, I say screw the 2.0ishness and stay.

Unless ere is a closer in n out, then I'd take it! (Jj and good luck.)

Fishbike
07-08-2016, 05:09 PM
My commute is 22 miles. It takes anywhere from 45 to 55 minutes door to door. I don't mind it. I am a news and music junky and I listen to podcasts and sometimes teleseminars necessary for work. I think Satellite radio is the best thing ever! It also can be nice and quiet time or time to catch up on phone calls (with Bluetooth).

To me any commute under an hour is fine. Over an hour feels much longer.

Yes, there are things I would rather do. And there is no way I could commute by bike. But I am grateful for the right job and happy where I live so my car time is the tradeoff.

In 2016, 19 miles sounds pretty ok for the right gig.

joe.e
07-08-2016, 05:18 PM
40 minutes isn't even bad by modern standards... I frequently have 60-80 minutes by car.. I don't even complain till its 90+

But 20 miles by bike... Man that's perfect bike commute distance! 40 miles a day, just for going to work? I would absolutely eat that up.

that 40 minutes is the absolute minimum. reality is probably closer to a little over an hour. In oregon (I just came back from portland) doing it on a bike wouldn't be bad (and I honestly don't know if it would be insane right now in LA, need to get with people smarter than me to figure out a route), but this would be some super busy LA streets at not a great time.

I had a 50 minute commute (each way) for almost 11 years. Finally wised up and moved closer. More time with family, more time to ride, less risk getting in accidents, etc. Should've moved years ago. Hopefully that's an option for you.
Moving is fine with me, but it would be a jerk move for my gf (we live together).

sounds like you've got it pretty good now if you live in L.A. and only have a twenty minute commute.

Does the work seem any better? I mean, more interesting, challenging, or offer more long term prospects?

If not, I say screw the 2.0ishness and stay.

Unless ere is a closer in n out, then I'd take it! (Jj and good luck.)

Yea, the work ticks off all those boxes (more challenging, more interesting, and better resume bullet points). There is also the addition of a young company full of generationally similar peers. I'm also pretty over my current job, but tell myself that no one LOVES their job so I put on my smiley face and show up each day.

Hey Joe, give us some more info!
I have two interviews pending for next week (both at companies that I would choose over the current one in question). I'm also waiting on another offer from a similar company (that is closer to my place). I deff don't HAVE to accept this offer.

pay: the base rate is 15% greater than my current salary, but with the bonus structure (and the historical bonuses earned company wide so far this year) its closer to 30% yearly pay bump.

traffic: stop and go with a stick shift.

chengher87
07-08-2016, 05:18 PM
In a similar boat. Moving to Denver and debating on whether or not living in Castle Rock and the hour commute, or probably somewhere in Aurora or slightly more south and do 30 minutes instead. Either way, I've had worse in Boston and D.C. I don't mind long commutes, as long as the traffic is fine.

Tickdoc
07-08-2016, 05:31 PM
Boxes tick d, take the job!

Congrats on what sounds like a great opportunity.

ofcounsel
07-08-2016, 07:36 PM

current:
9ish miles
20ish minutes by car
30ish minutes by bike

new place:
19 miles

I live in SoCal. I went from a 18 mile commute to a 30 mile commute. For a while, it really sucked because I went from a 40 minute commute to an 1 hour 20 minute commute from North Orange County to Downtown LA. Last year, I solved a bit of my commute problem by going with an electric car. The electric car gets me free, single occupant carpool access. It brought my commute time down to about 50 minutes. Not sure if that's a solution for you, however, as I don't think the 101 has a carpool lane going out to Calabasas.

For me, leaving my old job the decision was tough. I had been at my previous employer for 8 1/2 years and was doing really well. But the new job had significantly higher pay potential. So I did it. 5+ years later, it's worked out extremely well. I still wish my commute was better. I could move, but have absolutely no interest in living anywhere in the LA area. I prefer OC.

Tarzan59
07-08-2016, 10:51 PM
Completely dependent on the flexibility and enjoyment of the job. If you can ride early it might be doable on a bike. I live in North OC and commute 13 miles to work in about 45-50 minutes early in the AM (5:30ish). Not familiar with the best route in the valley. It comes down to the enjoyment of the new position. If it is just a job, maybe not. If going to work doesn't feel like going to work, you will soon forget about the commute . . .

ofcounsel
07-08-2016, 11:59 PM
Completely dependent on the flexibility and enjoyment of the job. If you can ride early it might be doable on a bike. I live in North OC and commute 13 miles to work in about 45-50 minutes early in the AM (5:30ish). Not familiar with the best route in the valley. It comes down to the enjoyment of the new position. If it is just a job, maybe not. If going to work doesn't feel like going to work, you will soon forget about the commute . . .

Hey, I'm in Brea as well! I tend to do mostly MTB rides around the Fully Loop, Chino Hills, and what not. But I ride around road about once a week, usually saturday or sunday mornings. If you happen to see a rotund, middle-aged guy riding around Brea Canyon or Lambert/Carbon Canyon on this bike:
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s81/ofcounsel/IMG_1236_zpstb10pwiw.jpg
Say "hello!"

OtayBW
07-09-2016, 05:36 AM

current:
9ish miles
20ish minutes by car
30ish minutes by bike

new place:
19 miles

The biggest issue is the freeways I would have to take. If you live in L.A. this is going to be your nightmare-- I live in Burbank, and the new place is in calabasas. That means its the 405/101 or the 134/101 each day. After my final interview, it took me 50 minutes to get home at noon. I've never had a horrible commute, so I guess I'm thinking out loud/asking for advice from those of you who have been there/done that.One year ago, I traded a 15 min commute with no traffic for a 55 mi/1 hr commute (mornings) and 1.5 hr evenings - all 4- and 6-lane driving at speed. I have to leave the house by 5:30a in the mornings and no later than 3:00p in the afternoon to make it work - otherwise, I would be trapped. It really takes it out of me by the end of the week. I can barely make it back in time for my weekday rides or am just wiped by the time I get there, so that aspect has slipped and as a result, my mileage and fitness has really slipped.

The upside is that my job is now much more interesting, challenging, and motivating and fun. I don't have an answer for you. It is hard to figure out how to balance this work/life aspect - or at least I haven't figured it out yet.

Good luck.

sokyroadie
07-09-2016, 07:03 AM
For 8 years my commute was 110 miles (2 hours) EACH way. Don't be a wuss :) if you think this is a job you would like, give it a try.

Jeff

carpediemracing
07-09-2016, 08:37 AM

current:
9ish miles
20ish minutes by car
30ish minutes by bike

new place:
19 miles

If you don't have kids then for me the new commute should be okay? I don't know LA traffic.

I commuted for almost 5 years about 90 minutes each way driving. Before that my commute was about the same time but on the train, subway, and walking (so I could sleep on the train which is a huge difference as far as the effect it had on me, cost of vehicle/travel, etc). The long days of my driving commute were when the one big bridge was closed (Tappan Zee - once when an oil tanker caught fire on it, I don't remember what happened the other time it got closed). I think it took about 5 hours to detour to the next bridge and get back home. The shortest drives were in the 50 minute range, like the day after a major holiday or whatever. I think my commute was about 50 miles.

At the time I had a gf/fiancee and it was okay. We did our thing, she ended up getting a job even further away in the other direction, and we eventually moved to be about 1 mile from her work. After that I worked remotely but the writing was on the wall as we were losing the client that generated most of our income. I got laid off the year the client's long term contract expired.

Now, with a kid? Even a 30 minute commute seemed about as long as I want to do, although making a living is making a living. There's no way I would want to do an hour commute while Junior is 4 years old, for example, or my old 90 minute commute. I'd never see my kid. Likewise I wouldn't want to do the same kind of work, basically 24/7 tech support 6 days a week. When I was doing that there was one time where I got up from an extended family get together dinner on Easter Sunday just as they brought out the entrees to drive home. Well the Missus drove the 2+ hours home while I used up two phones worth of batteries walking people through stuff then logged on once at home, this before mobile broadband; nowadays I'd have been elsewhere in the restaurant doing support then probably eating leftovers on the way home or something. Again, I'd lose out on being with my family, activities, etc.

So if you have young kids then think about it. If you don't then I say why not.

559Rando
07-10-2016, 08:25 AM
I've done the long car commute thing in SoCal and that's when I started riding bless and weighing more. Not a guarantee that'll happen, just a caution.

Definitely consider using Waze EVERY day. A car with HOV stickers is also a game changer. I had a CNG F-150 especially for the carpool benefit.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

slidey
07-11-2016, 10:08 AM
If you have a few more offers that are potentially better, then ask for more time.

As for the commute bit - its twice as much as what you're used to, but on average, its a fairly average commute.