PDA

View Full Version : does anyone make SARM-compatible 11-speed chainrings in silver?

adrien
07-08-2016, 07:32 AM
Contemplating putting e-tap on one of my bikes, and moving the 11-speed Red 22 over to a steel bike currently running 10-speed Force with an older, brushed silver Apex crankset.

The "upgrade" kit from SRAM makes this pretty compelling, as it allows for all bikes to become 11 speed and the fast road bike to go electronic and also allows things like brakes and crankset to remain. It also means all the wheels will be interchangable morning-of without needing to pull cassettes and keep track of spacers.

But I'm vain and like a silver crankset. I'm not really a fan on getting another if I don't have to. Looks like if I went that route I could run a Campy Athena silver crank (looks lovely) but would also need new BB, which starts getting expensive. And the 105 just looks all kind of wrong for this kind of bike. Anyone know of an 11-speed chainring that would fit and not look Franken-bike-y?

topflightpro
07-08-2016, 07:35 AM
You should be able to run 11-speed on your brushed silver Apex rings. There isn't that much of a difference between 10 and 11 rings.

oldpotatoe
07-08-2016, 07:40 AM
You should be able to run 11-speed on your brushed silver Apex rings. There isn't that much of a difference between 10 and 11 rings.

Except 11s rings closer together and with a positional system like etap(or EPS and Di2)..may get some front der wonkiness/rubbing/slow shift with 10s rings.

jtbadge
07-08-2016, 09:01 AM
I'd definitely recommend the full SRAM 22 Yaw crank/chainring/derailleur setup. The Yaw system is awesome.

ColonelJLloyd
07-08-2016, 09:18 AM
I run SRAM 10s rings with an 11s drivetrain. No issues.

adrien
07-08-2016, 10:12 AM
Thanks, guys.

As part of moving the Red 22 over, the Yaw FD will be moving, too.

I'm already careful with FD shifts because the bike runs a long cage, which means a longer chain and more risk of the chain bouncing around.

Bottom line seems to be it should work fine on the existing rings. I'll set it up and see.