PDA

View Full Version : Free returns on shoes?

reconstyle
07-05-2016, 07:00 PM
I'm in the market for some Sidi Wires, but I'm not exactly sure what size I am - my old Northwaves are 43, and I know sizing is different between brands. My LBS that carries Sidi doesn't stock the wires, so I am wondering if there is an online retailer that offers free returns on shoes?

Ideally I'd like to try a 43 and 43.5 and see how they fit, or even if I like them at all. It kind of sucks that they want you to pay $400 for a shoe and you don't even get to try it on...

572cv
07-05-2016, 07:08 PM
IF you live near an LBS at carries sidi, here's where you get value and give value ( i.e. Your cash for their service). This is how I bought my Sidi's. Being able to try them on, and even push the pedals on a bike on a stand was great. The fitting was perfect, and the shoes still provide lasting comfort and efficiency. Worth it.

Idris Icabod
07-05-2016, 07:23 PM
Arts Cyclery

ajhapps
07-05-2016, 08:36 PM
Backcountry / Competitive Cyclist

reconstyle
07-05-2016, 08:42 PM
IF you live near an LBS at carries sidi, here's where you get value and give value ( i.e. Your cash for their service). This is how I bought my Sidi's. Being able to try them on, and even push the pedals on a bike on a stand was great. The fitting was perfect, and the shoes still provide lasting comfort and efficiency. Worth it.

I do have a lbs that carries sidi, but they don't stock the wire unfortunately.

reconstyle
07-05-2016, 08:44 PM
Backcountry / Competitive Cyclist

They do? The only crappy part is that they sell at msrp. Most retailers (including my lbs) is selling them for 399, but they lost $499. Oh well, guess I can't have the best of both worlds?

reconstyle
07-05-2016, 09:01 PM
Arts Cyclery

They don't even list the Wire on their website :(

icepick_trotsky
07-05-2016, 09:08 PM
+1 for Art's. Free cleats of your choice, too.

Too bad they don't carry the shoes you're looking for.

oldpotatoe
07-05-2016, 09:14 PM
I do have a lbs that carries sidi, but they don't stock the wire unfortunately.

Try on some non wire sidis..have them order for you with the understanding that if they don't fit, you don't have to keep them..a decent LBS wouldn't be hard over about this..the worse that would happen is they have a pair of wires in inventory.

ajhapps
07-06-2016, 12:03 AM
They do? The only crappy part is that they sell at msrp. Most retailers (including my lbs) is selling them for 399, but they lost $499. Oh well, guess I can't have the best of both worlds?

Yeah, free returns on BC/CC if something doesn't fit.

Westernbikeworks.com has them for 15% off if you're in the Leaders Club: https://www.westernbikeworks.com/product/sidi-wire-carbon-air-road-shoe
https://www.westernbikeworks.com/product/sidi-wire-vent-carbon-push-road-shoe

On a side note, I went on a ride this weekend. I had to drive an hour from my apartment to meet up with the group... got there and forgot my damn shoes. I had to go to the local LBS and buy new shoes. Luckily they had some Giro Factor ACCs on sale and in my size. But seriously, who does that?

Louis
07-06-2016, 12:18 AM
Have your LBS order it and pay them full retail if it fits. They're providing a service and should be compensated.

Only slimy-types go in to the LBS, try on all the shoes that interest them, walk out, and order whatever fit best from an online outfit.

BobC
07-06-2016, 05:30 AM
Try on some non wire sidis..have them order for you with the understanding that if they don't fit, you don't have to keep them..a decent LBS wouldn't be hard over about this..the worse that would happen is they have a pair of wires in inventory.

If they don't have Wires, try a Sidi type close to it. I will tell you Genius are different. Just from recent experience. I have ridden Sidi Genius for years & got a good deal on a pair of Kaos. Hated them. They may fit the same however I found the Kaos nowhere as comfortable (Genius have lots of mesh & the Kaos have none). YMMV.

Joxster
07-06-2016, 05:49 AM
I'm in the market for some Sidi Wires, but I'm not exactly sure what size I am - my old Northwaves are 43, and I know sizing is different between brands. My LBS that carries Sidi doesn't stock the wires, so I am wondering if there is an online retailer that offers free returns on shoes?

Ideally I'd like to try a 43 and 43.5 and see how they fit, or even if I like them at all. It kind of sucks that they want you to pay $400 for a shoe and you don't even get to try it on...

The more you support you LBS the better chance you have of them doing you a favour and speaking the the Sidi rep to drop a pair in for you to try. But as you want to find a shop that will send the to you free and provide free return if you don't quite like the fit. So let's say it costs $15 postage each way, thats $30 off they're margin and you might not even buy them. And you wonder why shops look at what they keep in stock and then grumble if they don't have just quite what you're wanting. A size run of shoes could cost the shop $3-4000 to keep the shelves dust free, for a lot of shops that's a lot of cash tied up.

enr1co
07-06-2016, 08:20 AM
If they don't have Wires, try a Sidi type close to it. I will tell you Genius are different. Just from recent experience. I have ridden Sidi Genius for years & got a good deal on a pair of Kaos. Hated them. They may fit the same however I found the Kaos nowhere as comfortable (Genius have lots of mesh & the Kaos have none). YMMV.

On the other side- got a pair of Kaos last year and like them as much as any Genius Ive owned. Everyones preference and feel of what is "comfortable" is personal when it comes to shoes and saddles.

Trying and buying is part of the journey with these items and your gonna have to absorb some $ hits when doing so.

Should you buy online, just buy two or even three of the sizes that may fit and you can try them in the comfort of your own home at your leisure. This is helpful as most peoples feet can swell or contract a little bit at various times of the day/ night. Its likely free shipping to you- returning would be on your dime but well worth the nominal cost for the advantage of confirming fit of shoes at your leisure.