PDA

View Full Version : rust on steerer

vqdriver
07-05-2016, 05:50 PM
I have a 1 year geekhouse with steel fork. it's developed some rust in the little window of my Thomson stem. I can clean it up easily enough but wonder how I can prevent this in the future. especially because i'm wondering when i'd ever find corrosion there if I used a stem without the little cutout. I thought about framesaver on the outside but then it'd get all nappy and gross.

no rust in the pic, but this is from the ride that put it there. yes, one wet ride = rust.

Peter P.
07-05-2016, 05:54 PM
Spray the area with Boeshield T-9 periodically.

You could also replace the stem with a windowless style. The grease underneath, on the contact surface, will prevent rust from developing.

echelon_john
07-05-2016, 05:58 PM
sand it and spray some rustoleum primer. contrast color or stealthy black!

let dry. reinstall. done.

vqdriver
07-05-2016, 05:58 PM
how thick is the dried film? sticky?

07-05-2016, 06:49 PM
Just clean it off thoroughly, sand it with fine sandpaper so you're at bright metal, and rattle-can it. Black barbecue paint is the stuff, from Home Depot. In ten seconds you're done and once it's dried, the paint protects and that barbecue paint doesn't scrape off.

unterhausen
07-05-2016, 08:37 PM
paste wax

eBAUMANN
07-05-2016, 09:52 PM
Just clean it off thoroughly, sand it with fine sandpaper so you're at bright metal, and rattle-can it. Black barbecue paint is the stuff, from Home Depot. In ten seconds you're done and once it's dried, the paint protects and that barbecue paint doesn't scrape off.

This.

Peter P.
07-05-2016, 10:04 PM
how thick is the dried film? sticky?

Read the text on Boeshield's web site (http://boeshield.com/why-boeshield/). It leaves a paraffin wax coating which won't attract grime.

I think this is what you're looking for, although I'm intrigued by the idea of rattle canning the exposed steerer. I just wonder whether installing the stem on the steerer will scrape off the paint due to the tight tolerances.

07-05-2016, 11:03 PM
Read the text on Boeshield's web site (http://boeshield.com/why-boeshield/). It leaves a paraffin wax coating which won't attract grime.

I think this is what you're looking for, although I'm intrigued by the idea of rattle canning the exposed steerer. I just wonder whether installing the stem on the steerer will scrape off the paint due to the tight tolerances.

It won't scrape off barbecue paint. The paint is a satin black finish and is self priming. Just put on a thin layer, enough to make the surface black without building up thickness -- too much will get jammed under the stem. This is what some builders I know do with their steel steers, and it's worked for them for many years.

PeregrineA1
07-05-2016, 11:18 PM
Boshield is great stuff. I use as described above as well as in other applications.

For example, I spray the lugs/studs on my boat trailer about 3x a season. Trailer gets dipped in saltwater 15-20 times a year, towed down dirt roads without getting dirt clinging to the sprayed surfaces, and this past weekend I had a flat and the lugs came right off. Made my afternoon that I did have to deal with rusted and then broken parts.

invertedhog
07-06-2016, 04:47 PM
Boeshield is a great solution.
Have heard that clear enamel works as well.
Interested in the BBQ paint option. Standard spraypaint will scratch or scuff when putting the stem back on.