PDA

View Full Version : Which SPD has the lightest release?

sworcester
07-05-2016, 02:37 PM
After 9 months, I can finally get on a regular bike, on a trainer. I still don't have alot of nerve/muscle regenerated in my left leg, so I need to manually clip it in and out of the pedals (also why I can't ride outdoors yet).

I can't use clips because I need a stiff sole, I tried my Speedplays, but too tough to engage. I have XT clipless (with tension backed all the way off) and am going to try those out, but is there a doublesided clipless that would be a lighter engagement?

If you are curious to the backstory, you can check it out here (https://www.facebook.com/iambobssock/)

Or facebook IAMBOBSSOCK

tuscanyswe
07-05-2016, 02:44 PM
My various xpedo m-force pedals has a very light release at the lowest setting. Cant compare to xt as its been so long.

eddief
07-05-2016, 02:59 PM
zero tension, miracle technology

davidb
07-05-2016, 03:03 PM
Shimano Click'R at the lowest setting they are very easy to release.

http://bike.shimano.com/content/sac-bike/en/home/city---comfort1/pedals/pedals/pd-t420.html

deechee
07-05-2016, 03:11 PM
I can't comment on recent SPDs, but crank brother candys were very easy to engage and to be honest, I had accidental clips often. Way easier than my SPDSLs, and my old SPDs were super beat up anyway.

tumbler
07-05-2016, 03:15 PM
If you like float, Bebop pedals are similar to Speedplays and have the lightest engagement/disengagement I have ridden. My SPD-SLs seem brutal by comparison, even at the lowest tension setting. They are also pretty bombproof. Only downside is that you can't limit the float like with some speedplays and you need a shoe with a 2 bolt cleat pattern (most mtb shoes).

Ken Robb
07-05-2016, 03:47 PM
Why strain yourself? Ride on flat pedals like MKS Grip Kings or Touring pedals until you are back to full strength? heck, you may never go back. :beer:

rwsaunders
07-05-2016, 04:10 PM
Toe clips might be a good option for you as you rehab. Best of luck to you.

owly
07-05-2016, 06:05 PM
It would require new pedals and cleats (and perhaps shoes), but Speedplay Frogs (2-bolt) have a zero-release-tension; just twist your ankle outward/toes inward, and a very light-pressure engagement.

They do have a ton of float -which some people don't like- though.

sworcester
07-05-2016, 06:07 PM
Why strain yourself? Ride on flat pedals like MKS Grip Kings or Touring pedals until you are back to full strength? heck, you may never go back. :beer:

My quad is barely back, the muscle that controls the foot elevation/drop is almost non-existent, barely move the toes, calf is weak. So what happens is on the upstroke, they don't work, pretty much. On the down stroke, at 10-2 o'clock, you can feel the muscle flop to gravity. Even with the E-Stim at high power.
Anyway, I used a recumbent exercise bike for 5 months itching to go to an upright. My core muscles are shot, but still active. I went to my wife's hybrid with her SPDs for a month, then moved to my Serotta La Corsa. Had no power on the left leg, VERY square circles. Dropped the seat lower and it felt marginally better. I think the relaxed angles of the hybrid helped with the wobbly leg and gave me more control of the foot/ankle.but with a dropped seat came knee pain in the good leg.
May have to concede partial defeat and go back to the hybrid. With the XT SPDs I can't clip in on the bad leg, and will have to go back to the wife's SPDs until I can find a solution there.

sworcester
07-05-2016, 06:10 PM
It would require new pedals and cleats (and perhaps shoes), but Speedplay Frogs (2-bolt) have a zero-release-tension; just twist your ankle outward/toes inward, and a very light-pressure engagement.

They do have a ton of float -which some people don't like- though.

Float is sort of my enemy, not enough control. I tried with Speedplay Zeros and my foot keeps flopping around and hitting the chainstays. With MTB SPDs I have the shoes keeping them in check a bit.

I do thanks you guys for the advice, I miss cycling.

R3awak3n
07-05-2016, 06:29 PM
def not new SPD SLs, those take their sweet time to loosen up (I found out after I bought a new pair right after I healed from my broken ankle and ankle just did not have enough strength to unclip.

My SPDs M520 or M540 are very easy to unclip in and out of. Maybe you can try to find a used pair here in the forum so that they are already broken in.
Also dual sided which is nice

Ken Robb
07-05-2016, 06:36 PM
Since you have so little control and power in that leg my worry is that you won't be able to get OUT when you need to.

If you get decent flat pedals with some mild serrations or texture and wear rubber soled shoes like Topsiders or tennis shoes I think you will be surprised how well your foot stays in place.

bikinchris
07-05-2016, 07:22 PM

Speedplay Frog pedals. This is the best answer.

bironi
07-05-2016, 07:55 PM

This is my experience as well for well over a decade.

sworcester
07-05-2016, 08:13 PM
Since you have so little control and power in that leg my worry is that you won't be able to get OUT when you need to.

If you get decent flat pedals with some mild serrations or texture and wear rubber soled shoes like Topsiders or tennis shoes I think you will be surprised how well your foot stays in place.

Right now it's all on a trainer. Won't be on the road until I can walk without a knee imobilizer and crutches. Or at least be able to in lip and hold the bike up with either leg.
Will likely be in AFO (foot/leg braces) for many months to come

cmbicycles
07-05-2016, 08:56 PM
Maybe go back to the hybrid and use some sort of shim to shorten the distance to the pedal for the recovering leg and give it the control you felt benefitted it. That would leave the good leg at a better length to avoid the knee pain you experienced with the seat lower.
Shimano makes a multi-release spd cleat that "may" be easier to get in and out of, but no way to know w/o trying for yourself. I've never used them personally, so just going on what I've heard from a few others.
I have a pair of well used shimano spd pedals somewhere if you want to give them a try.

steelbikerider
07-05-2016, 10:39 PM
I used regular Shimano DA pedals after ACL surgery and spent about 6 weeks on a trainer. I set it on the lightest tension but rather than unclip, I would just unbuckle the shoe and slide my foot out. Once strong enough to unclip I started back on the road, but still at the lightest tension setting

unterhausen
07-06-2016, 01:06 AM
the iSSi spd pedals I have release very smoothly. That's a QBP house brand.

sworcester
07-06-2016, 09:02 AM
I used regular Shimano DA pedals after ACL surgery and spent about 6 weeks on a trainer. I set it on the lightest tension but rather than unclip, I would just unbuckle the shoe and slide my foot out. Once strong enough to unclip I started back on the road, but still at the lightest tension setting

I did that for a while. Since I can't really lift the leg, I have to have my wife put the shoe on for me. For a while, she had to lift my leg over the top tube, now I can mostly do it myself

She's been a good sport through all this

sworcester
07-06-2016, 09:05 AM
I have a pair of well used shimano spd pedals somewhere if you want to give them a try.

I'm good, can take them off my cross bike. Thanks for the offer though

Hindmost
07-06-2016, 10:43 AM
I frequently wipe and apply a little saw blade wax (paraffin?) to the contact points on pedals. Greatly eases engagement and reduces exit forces. Might help with reduced muscle strength.

likebikes
07-06-2016, 04:42 PM
shimano click'r without a doubt.