PDA

View Full Version : Friend looking for help deciding on wheels

Veloo
07-05-2016, 12:13 PM
I've got a friend looking for some advise on a wheel purchase he'd like to make to replace his stock wheels (Shimano RS) on his 2015 carbon Willier GTR with 6800.
He has a range of profiles that he's considering but is debating on either Shimano WH-9000 series of wheels (so C24, C35 and C50) or Campy's (Shamal Ultra, Eurus , or Bullet Ultra w/ CULT bearings).
He is 185lbs, and usually rides approx 150 to 200km a week (most of it on weekends).

On his list of wants in a new set of wheels are build quality, looks and not getting blown away by cross winds.

Any input you can give on your experience with these wheels/brands/etc. is appreciated.

oldpotatoe
07-05-2016, 01:39 PM
I've got a friend looking for some advise on a wheel purchase he'd like to make to replace his stock wheels (Shimano RS) on his 2015 carbon Willier GTR with 6800.
He has a range of profiles that he's considering but is debating on either Shimano WH-9000 series of wheels (so C24, C35 and C50) or Campy's (Shamal Ultra, Eurus , or Bullet Ultra w/ CULT bearings).
He is 185lbs, and usually rides approx 150 to 200km a week (most of it on weekends).

On his list of wants in a new set of wheels are build quality, looks and not getting blown away by cross winds.

Any input you can give on your experience with these wheels/brands/etc. is appreciated.

I would say have him contact Ergott and ask about a Wheelset in that $ range designed and made specifically for him. Rather than a proprietary Wheelset that will be obsolete in a few years.

stien
07-05-2016, 02:16 PM
Competitive Cyclist doing HED Jet 6+ for $899, use Active Junky for % cash back. It's like you're making money.

Veloo
07-06-2016, 06:41 AM
Don't think he has completely ruled out a custom wheel but was looking for feedback on the ones mentioned.

simonov
07-07-2016, 04:20 AM
C24s are awesome wheels and since his bike has 6800, I'd go that way. Shamals are also awesome wheels, but who wants to mix and match campy and shimano. But he could go with Fulcrum Racing Zero, which is pretty much the same wheel. And if he went with the Fulcrum Racing Zero Nite, he'd get the great looks and awesome braking of the plasma-whatever rims. This is assuming aerodynamics are low on his list of priorities.

oldpotatoe
07-07-2016, 06:04 AM
C24s are awesome wheels and since his bike has 6800, I'd go that way. Shamals are also awesome wheels, but who wants to mix and match campy and shimano. But he could go with Fulcrum Racing Zero, which is pretty much the same wheel. And if he went with the Fulcrum Racing Zero Nite, he'd get the great looks and awesome braking of the plasma-whatever rims. This is assuming aerodynamics are low on his list of priorities.

Ya do know 'Fulcrum' is 'owned' by Campagnolo, yes?

kfreytag
07-07-2016, 09:40 AM
I've got a pair of DA9000 C24's that I've been riding quite a lot recently since I flatted my front tubular on my 4.5s and have simply been too lazy to glue up another tire.

They're a fantastic wheelset. Great hubs, spin up quickly, and are stiff but not harsh. They're heavier than any of my tubular sets, but I find that I'm not really feeling the urgency to get any of my tubulars glued up right now.

I only weigh ~150, but it's windy here (Bay Area) right now, and I know if I was on the 4.5s, I'd be pushed around. It's nice to not worry about crosswinds.

carpediemracing
07-07-2016, 10:01 AM

I've only had experience with the Eurus, both steel and aluminum spoke version. I preferred the steel spoke one even though it was technically heavier. I actually chose not to buy the aluminum spoke Shamals partially for that reason. The steel spokes seemed faster. When I used the steel spoked ones (2004? I think I got them) I was anywhere from 180 to about 200-205 lbs. I might be "light" on my wheels but still, I wasn't light. They're still going under a teammate/friend. For me they were bomb proof - I double flatted at about 40-45 mph while drafting a truck. Rode the wheels home on flat clinchers. Never broke a spoke, I trued the rear once, touching maybe 4 spokes for 1/8 or so turn each. For the first year they were the only 10s wheels I had so I raced and trained on them. After that year I trained on them, until about 2008 or so, when I sold them to my teammate to help finance a matching set of racing/training wheels (Reynolds DV46 tubulars and clinchers).

CULT bearings aren't necessary, although I suppose if that's in the budget it doesn't matter one way or another. I wouldn't pay for them, that's for sure, but if they were free or there was no choice there's nothing wrong with them.

If I were receiving Campy wheels I'd ask for either the Zonda (steel spoke) or the Bora (steel spoke but with carbon rims).

simonov
07-08-2016, 04:41 AM
Ya do know 'Fulcrum' is 'owned' by Campagnolo, yes?

Uh, yeah. That's why I said it's pretty much the same wheel. So if you don't want to put Campy wheels on a Shimano bike, Fulcrum gives you basically the same product with more "appropriate" branding, if that's your thing. Oh, and for what it's worth, as much as I like my various Fulcrum wheels, I like my Mavics even better and would also recommend adding some of their offerings into the mix when deciding on a factory wheelset.

Veloo
07-08-2016, 06:14 AM
He went with the Shamal Ultra's. Not the C17.

oldpotatoe
07-08-2016, 06:55 AM
Uh, yeah. That's why I said it's pretty much the same wheel. So if you don't want to put Campy wheels on a Shimano bike, Fulcrum gives you basically the same product with more "appropriate" branding, if that's your thing. Oh, and for what it's worth, as much as I like my various Fulcrum wheels, I like my Mavics even better and would also recommend adding some of their offerings into the mix when deciding on a factory wheelset.

Just looked at a set of Mavic wheels last night with the 'new' rear hub..great design that.