PDA

View Full Version : White Ind hubs long(ish) term users?

Marburg
06-30-2006, 05:35 PM
Time to be building some new guchi wheels. I'm a-looking at the White Industries hubs. They're too new to have much of a customer base, but I'll ask anyway. Medium-term impressions? Reliability durability and style? I know ergott-mo is pushing them a little bit. I'm a little scared in that White Ind seems to change designs pretty often. That may mean the designs need revision or it may mean I won't be able to find spare parts. Or maybe both.

Just as background, I'm looking to build some fancy everyday wheels. I've got a set a Kings and it's not that they aren't nice, I'm just looking for a little variety. Yeah, I prefer to build and ride my own wheels rather than package wheels.

Any hub owners out there want to chime in?

mosca
06-30-2006, 06:03 PM
I have a set of the H1 hubs on my Ibis. Have about 500 miles on them, so too early to tell how they hold up in the long term. I think I got some of the first of the new design - there are probably not too many others out there yet.

I posted some comments in this thread (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=16771&page=3&pp=15)

The only thing I've noticed since then is that the adjustment system is a little funky. It's based on loosening some tiny set screws and putting pressure on the axle, then retightening the set screws. It seems to work, but I don't really understand it, to be honest. Still, I really like looking at them - they give my bike some bling!

pdxmech13
06-30-2006, 06:15 PM
They are great if you love recycling your garbage.
But when it comes to that who dosn't like to save mother earth.

wasfast
06-30-2006, 06:51 PM
I have a set of Rolf Prima Elan's with 7K miles on them. Replaced a couple of the rear bearings (standard off the shelf sealed bearings) the first winter. Overall, I'm happy.

znfdl
06-30-2006, 07:37 PM
They are great if you love recycling your garbage.
But when it comes to that who dosn't like to save mother earth.

translation please.....

malcolm
06-30-2006, 07:41 PM
I'm probably close to 5k miles on wheels from speed dreams with white ind hubs with no issues. I've used these wheels for about three years on about 5 different frames. So far so good.

gasman
06-30-2006, 10:56 PM
I have about 5K on some Rolf Prima Elans with White hubs and no problems at all. The rear wheel had a minor true 2 weeks ago and that's it.

ti_boi
06-30-2006, 11:13 PM
Time to be building some new guchi wheels. I'm a-looking at the White Industries hubs. They're too new to have much of a customer base, but I'll ask anyway. Medium-term impressions? Reliability durability and style? I know ergott-mo is pushing them a little bit. I'm a little scared in that White Ind seems to change designs pretty often. That may mean the designs need revision or it may mean I won't be able to find spare parts. Or maybe both.

Just as background, I'm looking to build some fancy everyday wheels. I've got a set a Kings and it's not that they aren't nice, I'm just looking for a little variety. Yeah, I prefer to build and ride my own wheels rather than package wheels.

Any hub owners out there want to chime in?

White have a great reputation....known to be fairly bombproof...I like my KINGs but Damn are they LOUD!

Kevin
07-04-2006, 04:15 PM
I have 2 or 3 years on a set of White Industries hubs and have had no problems.

Kevin

Jeremy
07-04-2006, 05:04 PM
They're too new to have much of a customer base, but I'll ask anyway. Medium-term impressions? Reliability durability and style? I know ergott-mo is pushing them a little bit. I'm a little scared in that White Ind seems to change designs pretty often. That may mean the designs need revision or it may mean I won't be able to find spare parts.

White Industries hubs are very nice. They have a titanium freewheel body that tolerates the internal drive loads and the cassette cog to freewheel body loads better than aluminum. White Industries have been making hubs for almost 20 years. The basic elements of the White design have changed very little over time. The first models used a 12mm titanium axle that proved to be insufficient to bear the very high load at the freewheel body/hub shell interface. They switched to a 12mm steel axle, which was better, and then to a 15mm steel axle which was much better. They have used the 15mm steel axle for years now. The H1 is a lighter hub than the LTA, but the internal design is the same. All of the bearings, which are likely to be the only replacement part that you will need, are common and easy to find. If you need other parts like pawls, springs or freewheel bodies, they are interchangeable across many years and models of White Industries hubs. Even now, you can get a replacement freewheel body for the original 12mm axle hubs. They use the newest freewheel body design and install aluminum reducers and the proper bearings, and it works properly with their oldest design. In short, getting service parts for a White hub will not be a problem. I think that you will be very happy with White hubs.

Jeremy

sjbraun
07-04-2006, 05:41 PM
I'm soon to order some new wheels, so I find this discussion very interesting.
If silent Dura-Ace rear hubs are a 1,
and Chirs King's angry bees are a 5
Campy hubs are 7,

What are White Industries hubs?

Silence is golden

Jeremy
07-05-2006, 08:47 AM
I'm soon to order some new wheels, so I find this discussion very interesting.
If silent Dura-Ace rear hubs are a 1,
and Chirs King's angry bees are a 5
Campy hubs are 7,

What are White Industries hubs?

Silence is golden

I would change your scale a little. I assume that you "base-line" silent hub is an older (7700) D/A hub.

7700 = 1
7800, Campy, White = 4
Chris King = 7

Jeremy

Too Tall
07-05-2006, 09:45 AM
High Miles DA7700 Hub w/ roached pawls & a whisp of grease = -2 :rolleyes: