PDA

View Full Version : OT: Doing something hard

stephenmarklay
07-04-2016, 06:48 AM
I am just finishing up a new book called Grit.

I really liked this book and recommend it unabashedly. I am asking my 11 year old to read this too.

One cool thing the author said she does,in her family, is to choose one hard thing.
The rules are the person doing the hard thing gets to choose it but once they do they have to see it through.

I have a lot of examples of things I did not see through but also examples of things I did. I am going to use this in my life to accomplish things I would love to do but just have not had the grit to do.

My current hard thing is riding my bike!! It can be fun too you know. The hard part is I am riding it everyday this month. My road rides are about 3 hours and if It rains I will do a 2 hour trainer ride. After 3 days I am a bit tired. I hope I start to get used to it :)

fuzzalow
07-04-2016, 07:35 AM
I agree with the approach and ideal of "grit" as mandatory to achieving positive things. Not just for big projects but applicable to almost anything positive because anything worth doing almost invariably doesn't come easy.

I'll admit to being obtuse as to the ability to actually choose and target "one hard thing" as ambition a forethought - is there truly skin in the game when the projects become an exercise in positive self image rather than the harsh reality of life's choices, successes and failures? There are many things in life where failure is not an option and yet even so, irrespective as to outcome, life goes on. So a failure is not the end of the world, you pick yourself up, learn from you mistakes and go on. To do anything else is IMO a sure fire plan to stay stupid. I do not know how to impart or teach the courage neccesary to live life but only know for my family I did and will always do my best.

A career, a marriage, a family, an investment portfolio, a positive impact to your community - is all built on positive actions and attitudes one day at a time. Add 'em all up and a life happens while you were busy making other plans.

Thanks for bringing up an interesting topic. To me it has deathly relevance to the general state of a modern society gone terribly awry for some that seem to want grander things but haven't the courage, smarts, fortitude or discipline to entreaty success. These losers might be tempted to other means and methods to achieve the notoriety they feel they deserve. In this conflict between light and darkness truly lies the fate of mankind.

jlwdm
07-04-2016, 07:41 AM
Campy or Shimano compatibility?

Classifieds are supposed to have a price.

Jeff

icepick_trotsky
07-04-2016, 07:45 AM
Skewers included?

parris
07-04-2016, 08:57 AM
Last week we took our son to tour the SUNY Buffalo campus and "GRIT" was talked about with the admissions person that gave us the tour quite a bit.

Schmed
07-04-2016, 09:18 AM
Just ordered on Amazon. Looking forward to it. Thx for the recommendation.

fiamme red
07-04-2016, 10:51 AM
I thought this thread was going to be a sell-off of most of your bikes. Glad that it's not. :)

wallymann
07-04-2016, 11:08 AM
why is this in the classifieds?

keith/mods --- maybe move to general discussions?

stephenmarklay
07-04-2016, 12:12 PM
Campy or Shimano compatibility?

Classifieds are supposed to have a price.

Jeff

Damn it that is the second time in a week or two that I posted in the wrong sub forum.

Mods please undo this silliness and move this to the proper location.

stephenmarklay
07-04-2016, 12:14 PM
Skewers included?

Thank you.

stephenmarklay
07-04-2016, 12:18 PM
I thought this thread was going to be a sell-off of most of your bikes. Glad that it's not. :)

Whew me too!

Macadamia
07-04-2016, 06:36 PM
remarkable that this isn't sold yet! If only it was in my size!