PDA

View Full Version : Mavic Cosmic Rims???

cpsqlrwn
07-03-2016, 09:31 PM
Anybody know anything about these....

Level of Quality? Value? What years?

Thanks for any info!

https://c6.staticflickr.com/8/7306/27993939981_242bdcab1c_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/JDJg4B)

hollowgram5
07-03-2016, 09:57 PM
I've got a set of these as tubulars. The profile is basically a CXP30. They are pretty strong, but slightly on the portly side compared to a lot of modern rims.

Couldn't tell you what year, but they were Mavic's answer to the Campy Shamals, Ventos, and Zondas. They were available in both tubular and clincher.

Dead Man
07-03-2016, 10:07 PM
I noe dey is heavy

peanutgallery
07-03-2016, 10:58 PM
Far better than a pair of spinergys of the same vintage

Heavy but exceptional quality. For some reason I remember them as a little deeper than cxp30s

berserk87
07-04-2016, 12:19 PM
I think those were the first iteration of the Cosmic. It was just called the "Cosmic", and that was the only model. That was before they went with Cosmic Pro, Cosmic Elite, and so on. The earlier models had polished silver hub bodies.

My foggy memory hazards a guess that these date to the late 1990's (1998 maybe?). To me, Mavic's quality was relatively better then. You might see a small touch of aerodynamic benefit from these wheels. They should be durable. They are not lightweights.

I had some teammates that had these. I always liked the look of them. I don't get too caught up into how my bike looks, but I did like these. I still think that the coolest looking wheels ever made were the old Campy Shamals, with the aluminum faring that was highly polished.

texbike
07-04-2016, 12:46 PM
I had a pair about 10 years ago on a C40. The C40 rode really rough with them on it (Michelin PR tires, 100 psi).

Texbike

El Chaba
07-04-2016, 07:04 PM
They were fast wheels and pretty tough as well-especially the tubular version. They were made in the 8 speed era, and there are some "challenges" with converting for use with anything more modern.....

hollowgram5
07-04-2016, 07:07 PM
They were fast wheels and pretty tough as well-especially the tubular version. They were made in the 8 speed era, and there are some "challenges" with converting for use with anything more modern.....
My set of tubulars is on a 10s bike with no issues. And they are great. 11s is where the challenges arise.

El Chaba
07-04-2016, 07:10 PM
My set of tubulars is on a 10s bike with no issues. And they are great. 11s is where the challenges arise.

Are you using the Mavic/Marchisio cassette?

hollowgram5
07-04-2016, 07:11 PM
Nope. 10s shimano cassette. Only set up I had issues with was trying to run them 10s campy with a Miche conversion cassette.

oldpotatoe
07-05-2016, 06:19 AM

Long time ago but shimano 8s so 9 and 10s compatible also. 'Campagnolo' was Mavic's own Campag spaced cogset(?)...Pretty sure you could swap FH bodies..had the pawls in the base of the hub, right below the FH body...not on the 'stub' like Krysirium...I think..like 20+ years ago..:D

El Chaba
07-05-2016, 07:55 AM
Long time ago but shimano 8s so 9 and 10s compatible also. 'Campagnolo' was Mavic's own Campag spaced cogset(?)...Pretty sure you could swap FH bodies..had the pawls in the base of the hub, right below the FH body...not on the 'stub' like Krysirium...I think..like 20+ years ago..:D

Yeah...20 years ago!...I was trying to recall the nature of the challenge and what was available as there was a an original FTS and a revised FTS freehub and what was available in each....The Mavic (Marchisio) cassette was a decent workaround, but was a bit dangerous if not used properly. The "campy" freehub had ths Shimano splines but was 1.5 mm wider to accommodate the wider Campy spacing. You could fit their Campy comp. cogset on the Shimano body, but the small cog was supported by a dangerously small amount of metal....That would not be the thing that you wanted to test standing up for a hard sprint....