PDA

View Full Version : Sagan is Awesome

CaptStash
07-03-2016, 09:05 PM
Seems Sagan was complaining bitterly about how badly the peloton is behaving. This is my favorite quote: "It’s not logical. In the group, before there was respect. When someone did something stupid, everybody throws their water bottle on him or beats him with tire pumps."

I love this guy!

CaptStash....

cachagua
07-04-2016, 01:19 AM
I can't decide whether to picture him as Rodney Dangerfield in plaid knickers, "No respect, ya know?", or as the archetypical cane-waving geezer, "You kids get out of my yard!"

And remember, this is the guy we chewed on so mercilessly for copping a podium-girl feel a couple seasons ago.

Poor fellow. Isn't youth fleeting.

But: I love him too!

mcteague
07-04-2016, 06:10 AM
Pros carry tire pumps? :confused:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/07/tour-de-france/scathing-sagan-blasts-brainless-peloton_412691

Tim

oldpotatoe
07-04-2016, 06:19 AM
Pros carry tire pumps? :confused:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/07/tour-de-france/scathing-sagan-blasts-brainless-peloton_412691

Tim

Sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTZ0N7VTDtY

54ny77
07-04-2016, 06:41 AM
Starting at 1:25...."Look ma, I can ride my bike with no back wheel!"

:p

Sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTZ0N7VTDtY

jlwdm
07-04-2016, 06:48 AM
It will be interesting to see how Sagan does in the Olympics mountain bike cross country race. With his background and a month after the TDF to train it is hard not to take him seriously.

Jeff

sitzmark
07-04-2016, 08:07 AM
Sagan rides a most impressive stage and Tinkov's first thought is ....

https://youtu.be/gLguAeXmDdM

What a piece of work. :rolleyes:

FlashUNC
07-04-2016, 08:09 AM
It will be interesting to see how Sagan does in the Olympics mountain bike cross country race. With his background and a month after the TDF to train it is hard not to take him seriously.

Jeff

Except for that bit where he's starting at the back, done all of walk across the finishine in the MTB races he has done this year, and had pros with actual accomplishments in cross country laugh at the idea. But hey, the Olympics are one big publicity stunt, what's one more on the woodpile?

jlwdm
07-04-2016, 09:01 AM
Not too many of them have enough accomplishments to laugh at a former world junior champion. He has been away for a long time so his odds are not good, but the mountain bikers should just be thankful that he switched to the road.

They should also be thankful that he is bringing some actual interest to their race.

Jeff

Elefantino
07-04-2016, 09:28 AM
Except for that bit where he's starting at the back, done all of walk across the finishine in the MTB races he has done this year, and had pros with actual accomplishments in cross country laugh at the idea. But hey, the Olympics are one big publicity stunt, what's one more on the woodpile?
Oh, come on. Secretly you loves you some Sagan. ;)

tommyrod74
07-04-2016, 09:43 AM
Oh, come on. Secretly you loves you some Sagan. ;)

I race (and coach) XC at a respectably high level (road as well), and I think Sagan racing XC in Rio (or anytime) is freaking awesome. It's not hubris for him to feel he'd be competitive, and it's just one more reason to watch the race for people who wouldn't otherwise tune in.

Plus, he's fun.

adub
07-04-2016, 10:51 AM
He has what pro cycling needs.

tumbler
07-04-2016, 10:56 AM
And remember, this is the guy we chewed on so mercilessly for copping a podium-girl feel a couple seasons ago.

That was my first thought after reading his rant about respect.

FlashUNC
07-04-2016, 02:26 PM
Not too many of them have enough accomplishments to laugh at a former world junior champion. He has been away for a long time so his odds are not good, but the mountain bikers should just be thankful that he switched to the road.

They should also be thankful that he is bringing some actual interest to their race.

Jeff

When Absalom and Schurter (with Frischknect thrown on the wood pile for good measure) are saying he's got no prayer, I'm inclined to take their word over the armchair "Omg he wheelies, he's great at everything evar."

Not to mention how he's taking a spot away from a more worthy countryman who actually, yanno, races mountain bikes. But I guess Specialized has to get their show pony there somehow.

http://cyclingtips.com/2016/06/absalon-schurter-on-sagans-chances-at-olympic-mtb-medal-not-likely/

Jgrooms
07-04-2016, 03:24 PM
Oh yes, WAY back six years ago Peter it was so very different? Right! Those riders then and now are just not as gifted & have their orders. They've got to earn their contracts. Next he'll be bitching about how nobody will work with him. He'd do himself a favor & tone the criticism of his coworkers down a bit me thinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kramnnim
07-04-2016, 03:45 PM

From your own link-

"Sagan is ranked 910th, with 25 points, earned via a fourth-place finish, after a puncture, at a Czech Cup event in Teplice, in April."

JStonebarger
07-04-2016, 04:21 PM
When Absalom and Schurter (with Frischknect thrown on the wood pile for good measure) are saying he's got no prayer, I'm inclined to take their word over the armchair "Omg he wheelies, he's great at everything evar."

How many really do have a prayer at the Olympics? Should the rest stay home?

I don't hear too many predictions that Sagan will podium. Just a lot of folks saying they're happy to see him race.

(I realize that you'll hate on Sagan regardless, but some of your attempts to rationalize it are pathetic.)

FlashUNC
07-04-2016, 04:52 PM
How many really do have a prayer at the Olympics? Should the rest stay home?

I don't hear too many predictions that Sagan will podium. Just a lot of folks saying they're happy to see him race.

(I realize that you'll hate on Sagan regardless, but some of your attempts to rationalize it are pathetic.)

Of course not, but when you're taking a spot away from someone -- a countryman no less -- who races mountain bikes full-time in some weird attempt to show off how "omg he can ride anything," well, its a scummy move.

You've got the Slovakian Federation saying they think he can medal, because, yanno, he won a race as a junior nigh on seven years ago.

I wonder how big a check Spesh cut to the Slovakian Federation to make this happen.

jlwdm
07-04-2016, 04:54 PM

I did not say he would win.

Jeff

kramnnim
07-04-2016, 05:20 PM
Maybe the Slovakian committee wanted Sagan to do the MTB race. :eek:

crankles
07-05-2016, 11:35 AM

This.

crankles
07-05-2016, 11:39 AM
Of course not, but when you're taking a spot away from someone -- a countryman no less -- who races mountain bikes full-time in some weird attempt to show off how "omg he can ride anything," well, its a scummy move.

You've got the Slovakian Federation saying they think he can medal, because, yanno, he won a race as a junior nigh on seven years ago.

I wonder how big a check Spesh cut to the Slovakian Federation to make this happen.

Every time I see a new Sagan thread, I relish reading the polemics thrown out by FlashUNC.

You never fail to disappoint! keep em coming.

oldpotatoe
07-05-2016, 01:44 PM

What? There are politics and favoritism involved with picking Olympic teams ?? Shocking. :beer:

FlashUNC
07-05-2016, 02:14 PM
Every time I see a new Sagan thread, I relish reading the polemics thrown out by FlashUNC.

You never fail to disappoint! keep em coming.

I always aim to please my adoring public.

Truth is Petey makes it easy.

crankles
07-05-2016, 03:22 PM
Truth is Petey makes it easy.

Really? and here I though you were just jealous. I know I am! He's won more races than me and has far better hair. I'd have to work just as hard to criticize as you would to compliment. Your abject hatred of the guy baffles me,
but I guess that's what makes it so entertaining.

deluxerider
07-05-2016, 03:29 PM
I do think that it sucks for the guy that is racing MTB World Cups every weekend to be replaced by Peter Sagan. But, I am excited to see how he does. I don't think he can win from a back of the pack starting position but he will certainly, barring mechanical or crash, move way up. His engine is just superior to the guys on the MTB World Cup circuit. Some of the top MTB guys could probably make a Pro Tour team but they would not be stars of the peloton. Otherwise, they would have made the switch. For the money and prestige of it. The Pro Tour is the formula one of cycling. The pinnacle of the sport.

FlashUNC
07-05-2016, 03:39 PM
Really? and here I though you were just jealous. I know I am! He's won more races than me and has far better hair. I'd have to work just as hard to criticize as you would to compliment. Your abject hatred of the guy baffles me,
but I guess that's what makes it so entertaining.

Why would I be jealous of the equivalent of a European redneck? The life of a pro cyclist seems like an awful one, even for those at the top of the sport. I love to watch as a fan, but put me in his shoes, I'd be outta there faster than you could say Wiggo or Visentini.

Elefantino and I discussed this at length on road trip to NAHBS this year, and, yes, obviously Sagan is a pretty good bike racer. Duh. But the cult of personality that surrounds him and the way most fans lap it up, eager to call him the next Merckx for what amounts to a wheelie onto a car and one Monument win is absurd.

Guys like Oscar Friere and Erik Zabel have far better palmares, and yet people act as if ol Petey is the second coming. I get that its a sport, in some ways, desperate for stars and the bar is exceedingly low. But the lionization of Sagan is endlessly tiring.

And what is sports fandom if not equally hating those you dislike as much as you adore those you root for? If you're a fan of everyone, then you're a fan of no one.

saab2000
07-05-2016, 03:53 PM
He's well liked because he seems to actually enjoy what he does. He's always got a smile and when he wins it is seemingly with ease. Many of his close 2nds and 3rds have been because he gets in a break and immediately everyone else stops working.

He's got fewer mega-wins than the ones mentioned but his record is growing by the year. And they rarely made the races. They were there at the finish when it counted but Sagan makes races.

Oh, and he probably earns a couple million per year with prize money, salary and endorsements. More power too him.

But the reason people like him is because he appears to like cycling and so many riders try to make themselves into martyrs on the road. Sagan doesn't. He just rides and wins.

FlashUNC
07-05-2016, 04:01 PM
Many of his close 2nds and 3rds have been because he gets in a break and immediately everyone else stops working.

Or getting his doors blown off because he has all the tactical savvy of the Charge of the Light Brigade.

The plaudits after Stage 2 where he, gasp, waited for someone else to go first, you'd think he'd solved cold fusion. He's Thomas Voeckler with a higher VO2 Max.

saab2000
07-05-2016, 04:06 PM
Or getting his doors blown off because he has all the tactical savvy of the Charge of the Light Brigade.

The plaudits after Stage 2 where he, gasp, waited for someone else to go first, you'd think he'd solved cold fusion. He's Thomas Voeckler with a higher VO2 Max.

You may have a point on the former, but regarding Voeckler, not even in the same league!

Yeah, I'm a Sagan fanboy. :beer: He makes bike racing more fun to watch.

I think when his career is done he will be right up there with the likes of Boonen and Cancellara.

tumbler
07-05-2016, 04:11 PM
[...] and yet people act as if ol Petey is the second coming.

Well....

crankles
07-05-2016, 05:23 PM
Well....

Tumbler drops mike, exits stage left!

crankles
07-05-2016, 05:36 PM
Guys like Oscar Friere and Erik Zabel have far better palmares, .

don't get me wrong...I love those guys....especially Friere, but far better palmeres?

Zabel won his 1st of 6 consecutive greens starting at the age of 26.
Sagan might well win his 5th at the age of 26.
Zabel won 12 stages in 13 tour starts.
Sagan has won 5 stages in 5 tour starts.
Zabel has 5 classics wins
Sagan has 1.

Zabel has retired.
Sagan has not.

Davist
07-05-2016, 05:53 PM
I do think that it sucks for the guy that is racing MTB World Cups every weekend to be replaced by Peter Sagan. But, I am excited to see how he does. I don't think he can win from a back of the pack starting position but he will certainly, barring mechanical or crash, move way up. His engine is just superior to the guys on the MTB World Cup circuit. Some of the top MTB guys could probably make a Pro Tour team but they would not be stars of the peloton. Otherwise, they would have made the switch. For the money and prestige of it. The Pro Tour is the formula one of cycling. The pinnacle of the sport.

Agree! Remember when John Tomac raced for Motorola on the road? I loved JT on the dirt followed him from BMX over to MTB, but he had a tough time making a dent on the road... I like Sagan's personality and the fun he brings to the sport.

FlashUNC
07-05-2016, 06:00 PM
don't get me wrong...I love those guys....especially Friere, but far better palmeres?

Zabel won his 1st of 6 consecutive greens starting at the age of 26.
Sagan might well win his 5th at the age of 26.
Zabel won 12 stages in 13 tour starts.
Sagan has won 5 stages in 5 tour starts.
Zabel has 5 classics wins
Sagan has 1.

Zabel has retired.
Sagan has not.

There are more races than the Tour. And Zabel's wins are nearly all in Monuments. Petey's won some green jerseys sure, but it isn't Boonen pulling the Flanders/Roubaix/Worlds treble in a single year at 25.

pdmtong
07-05-2016, 06:12 PM
Who here doesn't love seeing the yellow jersey mixing ti up for the sprint win?

Tarzan59
07-05-2016, 06:38 PM
Agree that he is awesome. Not just funny but a great rider. It would be incredible to see him win it all. Not likely but we can dream . . .

denapista
07-05-2016, 06:45 PM
How do people know that Sagan will get his @ss handed to him in the MTB race? Do we all personally know Peter and monitor every bike ride he does? Someone as competitive as Sagan wouldn't race MTB if he was going to be riding in the back of the pack... I'm going on the limb here and I think he's been low key training. Will he get beat by Nino and skinnys, I'm pretty sure. I'm also sure one of the top riders in the road world will be better than mid pack during the race.

crankles
07-05-2016, 07:01 PM
There are more races than the Tour. And Zabel's wins are nearly all in Monuments. Petey's won some green jerseys sure, but it isn't Boonen pulling the Flanders/Roubaix/Worlds treble in a single year at 25.

ha...oh come on...now you are really grasping. In a calendar year Sagan wins the green jersey, then worlds, then Flanders, but THAT somehow pales in comparison to Boonen 2005 season? Not buying that. why do I feel like I'm talking to this guy..

Duende
07-05-2016, 08:44 PM
Who here doesn't love seeing the yellow jersey mixing ti up for the sprint win?

Exactly! More of this! And less obsession with power meters and team coaches dictating on the radio!

FlashUNC
07-05-2016, 08:48 PM
ha...oh come on...now you are really grasping. In a calendar year Sagan wins the green jersey, then worlds, then Flanders, but THAT somehow pales in comparison to Boonen 2005 season? Not buying that. why do I feel like I'm talking to this guy..

Oh the calendar that includes an off-season? Yeah. Not the same thing.

I'd settle for a Roubaix/Flanders back to back. But Petey can't even do that.

moose8
07-05-2016, 08:50 PM
I think he's really fun to watch which is something I don't feel is true about watching most other guys.

kramnnim
07-05-2016, 08:59 PM
But the lionization of Sagan is endlessly tiring.

You're endlessly tiring. :banana:

FlashUNC
07-05-2016, 09:51 PM

http://i.giphy.com/gOkawaguYNiSI.gif

crankles
07-05-2016, 09:51 PM

come now. I find flashUNCs inability to let any Sagan compliment go unassailed quite amusing.

I'm sure that if Sagan was found to have donated all of his winnings to Mother Teresa, he'd fault him for being anti-semitic.

ha. I crack myself up.

crankles
07-05-2016, 09:54 PM
http://i.giphy.com/gOkawaguYNiSI.gif

Whoa, Deja Vu. I just watched Jeremiah Johnson last night. Sadly, it really didn't warrant a 2nd view. The entire screenplay could fit on 3 pages of loose leaf.

jlwdm
07-06-2016, 12:18 AM

Guys like Oscar Friere and Erik Zabel have far better palmares, and yet people act as if ol Petey is the second coming. I get that its a sport, in some ways, desperate for stars and the bar is exceedingly low. But the lionization of Sagan is endlessly tiring.

Zable admitted to doping for 8 straight years.

Jeff

FL_MarkD
07-06-2016, 10:01 AM
How can you not like the guy? He is good for racing.

Two Q&A with him in this year tell me a lot about his approaceh

Q: How much do you weigh.
A: Not sure

Q: How many more days do you think you have a chance to win?
A: I don't now, I don't look that far ahead (paraphrased).

He just reviews the plan for the day in the bus, and goes out and rides to win.

FlashUNC
07-06-2016, 10:08 AM
Zable admitted to doping for 8 straight years.

Jeff

...oh God...you think guys today are clean?

https://i.imgflip.com/k4pcz.jpg

invertedhog
07-06-2016, 04:31 PM
Yeah I really like this guy too. Very charming. Great on a bike. Good sense of humor. Great on a bike. Positive attitude. Great on a bike.

TDF yellow jersey and Olympic MTB in the same summer.

Interesting purely as a professional cyclist if not a superstar personality.

CampyorBust
07-07-2016, 08:31 AM
That Sagan Rocky piece was pretty coo, cult of personaaalittyy (rock on!). I can do more pull-ups than him and my eyebrows are a bit more bushy.

Elefantino
07-07-2016, 08:32 AM
First "Grease"

Now "Rocky"

Next: "Gladiator"?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/peter-sagans-rocky-tribute-video/

cderalow
07-07-2016, 01:15 PM
Well....

you sir, owe me a keyboard...

tumbler
07-10-2016, 01:10 PM
you sir, owe me a keyboard...

Original post: :confused:
Edit after googling: :beer:

Elefantino
07-21-2016, 12:04 AM
Not only "Gladiator" but now "Pulp Fiction"

https://youtu.be/7LoQuoSydK8

weisan
07-21-2016, 12:11 AM
Not only "Gladiator" but now "Pulp Fiction"

https://youtu.be/7LoQuoSydK8

And Spiderman!

Avvocato
07-21-2016, 01:25 AM
Comparing Zabel & Freire to Sagan is silly atmo; Sagan isn't a pure sprinter.

At this age, he's more like a diet-Sean Kelly (with room to grow into the full sugar version)

pdmtong
07-21-2016, 06:35 AM
It's been awhile since I rode uphill at 10mph no hands so i could take my jersey off my base layer off and then put my jersey back on

His videos grease now Sylvester Russell and John are simultaneously amusing and strange

benb
07-21-2016, 08:25 AM
Some of those Sagan MTB videos show technical skills far in excess of what is required for X/C, good for him for bringing some attention to the race. He will certainly have the fitness but coming from the back is a bit much.

I can't imagine being a pro MTB rider and wanting to switch to road. MTB seems way more interesting. The places they get to go, the courses, more beautiful surroundings, not getting run over by TV motos, etc.. I'm ready for MTB to come back strong. Another thing I can blame -7 for.

pdmtong
07-21-2016, 11:25 AM
Some of those Sagan MTB videos show technical skills far in excess of what is required for X/C, good for him for bringing some attention to the race. He will certainly have the fitness but coming from the back is a bit much.

I can't imagine being a pro MTB rider and wanting to switch to road. MTB seems way more interesting. The places they get to go, the courses, more beautiful surroundings, not getting run over by TV motos, etc.. I'm ready for MTB to come back strong. Another thing I can blame -7 for.

mtb racing has it's nuances. if you are not in front you eat a lot of dust. if you are not in the front group you get slowed by other riders and the field stretches since there is no passing possible on the various single track sections. the hole shot makes a difference. taking the A line is faster but more risky then the B line.

road of course it's own unique nuances.

Fatty
07-21-2016, 04:10 PM
And he has a Beagle named Charlie. How awesome is that?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CI6x6v1UAAAhUUq.jpg

azrider
09-27-2016, 05:11 PM
How many contributors on this thread own this.......huh? huh? :p:p;);)

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1202/9246/products/DESIGN_BICI28_men_heather_1024x1024.png?v=14745685 14

Matthew
09-27-2016, 06:50 PM
I know one who doesn't or won't!

oldpotatoe
09-28-2016, 06:04 AM
How many contributors on this thread own this.......huh? huh? :p:p;);)

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1202/9246/products/DESIGN_BICI28_men_heather_1024x1024.png?v=14745685 14

Should maybe be Sprintinator or greenjerseyinator or classicsinator but he's not 'inatoring' any GT...but I'm growing to like his personality, ala 'Chipo', not the dry standard of most in the peloton.

Elefantino
10-03-2016, 07:50 PM
Wallpaper for Joe and other Sag fans

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161004/f7f3ae5b7bd8149c83e1cb91a5f989aa.jpg

weisan
10-03-2016, 08:06 PM
They are talking about cutting short on the world champ. course because of heat index.... not so good for Sagan. .coz' the harder the race is...the better it is for the Hulk
http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com/2013/06/28/1/bettiniphoto_0147955_1_full_670.jpg

Exonerv
10-03-2016, 08:37 PM
Peter Sagan’s 2016 WorldTour wins

March 27: Ghent-Wevelgem
April 3: Tour of Flanders
May 15: Tour de Suisse, stage 2
May 18: Tour de Suisse, stage 3
July 3: Tour de France, stage 2
July 13: Tour de France, stage 11
July 18: Tour de France, stage 16
September 9: Grand Prix Cycliste de Québec
September 21: Eneco Tour, stage 3
September 22: Eneco Tour, stage 4
Non-WorldTour wins

European Championships road race
Tour of California, stage 1
Tour of California, stage 4

Read more at http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/peter-sagan-honoured-thrilled-top-2016-worldtour-288277#UODPQDb3s5eUpHaM.99

GregL
10-03-2016, 09:10 PM
Peter Sagan’s 2016 WorldTour wins

March 27: Ghent-Wevelgem
April 3: Tour of Flanders
May 15: Tour de Suisse, stage 2
May 18: Tour de Suisse, stage 3
July 3: Tour de France, stage 2
July 13: Tour de France, stage 11
July 18: Tour de France, stage 16
September 9: Grand Prix Cycliste de Québec
September 21: Eneco Tour, stage 3
September 22: Eneco Tour, stage 4
Non-WorldTour wins

European Championships road race
Tour of California, stage 1
Tour of California, stage 4

Read more at http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/peter-sagan-honoured-thrilled-top-2016-worldtour-288277#UODPQDb3s5eUpHaM.99
No rainbow curse for him! Would love to see Sagan do well in Doha.

Greg

Avvocato
11-07-2016, 01:54 AM
No one updated this? http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161107/1f56b7c734645845ff2724f6ccc3bdf7.jpg

ebaker205
11-07-2016, 07:10 AM
Watching Sagan these past couple of years has been fun. I am happy to see all his hard work paying off. In the beginning he was easily frustrated. He was young sprinted too early and was overzealous. Now he is a mature lethal machine- more calculated and methodical.

He is young and brings a different face to cycling. (Please be clean!)

efaust_o
12-27-2016, 10:24 PM
And the hits just keep coming.....

http://www.steephill.tv/players/youtube3/?title=The+GCN+Show:+The+2017+GCN+Awards&dashboard=&id=KzYTPdjvTPM&yr=2016 :eek:

efaust_o
01-23-2017, 06:36 PM
https://osmonutrition.com/learn/

LJohnny
01-23-2017, 08:58 PM
https://osmonutrition.com/learn/

On a related note, Osmo is back? For the longest time the website said they were coming back after restructuring or something similar. Glad to see that, I like their stuff