PDA

View Full Version : Current Tubeless ready rims

stephenmarklay
07-03-2016, 12:19 PM
I have gone down this path before and determined it was not worth the trouble. However, it seems some nice TLR tires are in production and maybe it is worth another try.

What current rims are available?

sitzmark
07-03-2016, 01:09 PM
Fulcrum two-ways.
Just weaved my way through this decision earlier this spring on a set of Zeros. Ultimately chose not to go two-way but it was a "coin flip" decision. Price difference was about $50. Really didn't see myself running tubeless for the long haul and there can be some compromises with standard clincher fit in a tubeless rim, but having the option to run tubeless in an un-drilled rim bridge was intriguing. Perception is that un-drilled provides a more simple (but robust) design and less "mess" to deal with when rim strips and spoke holes are eliminated.

MaraudingWalrus
07-03-2016, 01:10 PM
I am in no way a fan of tubeless. I've had one good experience. And it was my velocity Ailerons to Schwalbe G-Ones. I've hated every other experience I've had, both with my own and setting up customers'.

Many times I've spent hour(s) per wheel trying to make the damn thing seal, and sometimes even longer for them to seat. The one time it went well, it was five minutes tops. Absolutely amazing.

However, I have been considering it again, as well, simply because of how incredibly easy my Schwalbe to Aileron tubeless experience went.

I'm not convinced the benefits are there for the road to make me do it again, but for some damned reason i'm thinking about it.

Edit: to actually answer the question.

Velocity Quills, Belgium+

dbnm
07-03-2016, 01:36 PM
I am currently running Dura Ave C24 9000 and IRC roadlite tires.

I did a 56 mile ride with two bubbling pin pricks. The tires were still full of air when I got home.

I have since replaced the tire.

I swear by tubeless.

As for rim options, I use Ultegra 6700 on my cross bike with tubeless tires.

oldpotatoe
07-03-2016, 02:22 PM
Rims-Velocity, DT, HED, Pacenti. Stans too but I haven't had any luck building to proper tension and not pulling out eyelets.

justaute
07-03-2016, 02:37 PM
Velocite's Venn rims.

Have a set of the disc version. I'm thinking of getting another pair, but with rim-brake.

brakecheck
07-03-2016, 11:47 PM
Has anyone out there tried the WTB Crisscross rims? I was thinking of giving them a try for Cross training and maybe racing... If they worked out .
And if all is ok the road as well.

misterha
07-03-2016, 11:59 PM
Stans Grail rims with WTB Crossboss and Schwalbe Pro with no issues at all. I raced last season of cross with the WTB. Took 2 or 3 tries to get them to seat with a floor pump to boot.

dekindy
07-04-2016, 12:38 AM
My first set was second generation road tubeless, Dura-Ace 7850SL. The experience was wonderful using Hutchinson Fusion 2's and Intensives. Once I got the proper technique I installed lots of tires with zero hassle. Sealant corrosion caused leakage in the front rim and they were going to have to be replaced soon anyway.

However experience with Shimano Ultegra WH-6800 has been the opposite. Don't know if it is the rim or the Fusion 3's, but it is nearly impossible to get these tires on the rims and is impossible to inflate initially without a compressor. Like the smooth ride and the freedom from pinch flats but definitely not worth it unless I find tires that install easier.

stephenmarklay
07-04-2016, 06:36 AM
My first set was second generation road tubeless, Dura-Ace 7850SL. The experience was wonderful using Hutchinson Fusion 2's and Intensives. Once I got the proper technique I installed lots of tires with zero hassle. Sealant corrosion caused leakage in the front rim and they were going to have to be replaced soon anyway.

However experience with Shimano Ultegra WH-6800 has been the opposite. Don't know if it is the rim or the Fusion 3's, but it is nearly impossible to get these tires on the rims and is impossible to inflate initially without a compressor. Like the smooth ride and the freedom from pinch flats but definitely not worth it unless I find tires that install easier.

Thanks for this. The wheel corrosion does not sound great. Is that an issue with all sealants and do they all need it?

Cicli
07-04-2016, 06:56 AM
Thanks for this. The wheel corrosion does not sound great. Is that an issue with all sealants and do they all need it?

If the sealant has alot of ammonia in it corrosion will happen.
Alot of people like orange seal because it is easy on rims and works.

cd_davis
07-04-2016, 06:57 AM
Have DuraAce 7800 2nd gen wheelset, have run tubeless twice, currently fitted with clinchers. Used Hutchinson tubeless which were hard to install especially the rear. Good overall performance and did not need compressor to inflate, just good floor pump. Used Stan's sealant. 50/50 on whether it is worth the extra effort and mess. Recommend cleaning out old sealant and replacing every 5-6 months.

GScot
07-04-2016, 07:49 AM
I have Pacenti with the new 40mm Gravel Kings, easy on and off with one tire lever or could muscle it if I had to. Floor pump was all it took to seat and inflate. Also have the 6800s mentioned, they are great wheels and have taken a beating without the slightest problem. But as mentioned more difficult seat the bead, best to have a compressor available. About half the time a floor pump will do it without too much effort but the other half I run out of patience and head to the compressor.

one60
07-04-2016, 08:26 AM

TTBOMK, having recognized the issue several years ago,sealant manufacturer's have eliminated ammonia from their products.

There are many good options for road tubeless wheels or rims. Currently running Schwalbe ONE and Pro ONE's on Stan's Alpha 340 and Boyd Altamont Lite rims. Have been very satisfied with the performance, ride quality and flat resistant.

I look at the collection of inner tubes needing a patch in my shop & think the 'trade-offs' outweigh the cost & hassle of tubes.

Most tires have mounted with a floor pump. One took a bit more effort, needing soapy water and a blast of air with the valve core removed to seat the bead. While there is a learning curve, its not something to fear.

Brian Cdn
07-04-2016, 09:37 AM
Stan's 340's 32 hole. No issues. Altho bit of a learning curve on the mounting.. But still solid and they've been my everyday rider wheels for the last 4+ yrs.

nalax
07-04-2016, 12:59 PM
Has anyone out there tried the WTB Crisscross rims? I was thinking of giving them a try for Cross training and maybe racing... If they worked out .
And if all is ok the road as well.

I built a pair of Chriscross rims on T11 front and Centaur rear two months ago. They built up easily and are staying true. Clement MSO 36mm aired up tubeless with a floor pump and soapy water and they're measuring 37mm. They only come 32h.

ripvanrando
07-05-2016, 09:19 AM
HED Belgium plus would not seal.

A23, FLO 30, FLO 60 (carbon) sealed and beads set with ease.

Britishbane
07-05-2016, 09:21 AM
I built a pair of Chriscross rims on T11 front and Centaur rear two months ago. They built up easily and are staying true. Clement MSO 36mm aired up tubeless with a floor pump and soapy water and they're measuring 37mm. They only come 32h.

I'm very happy with my WTB chriscross as well. About 2 years in and they've been very sturdy.

jberenyi
08-21-2016, 09:40 AM
TTBOMK, having recognized the issue several years ago,sealant manufacturer's have eliminated ammonia from their products.

Stan's still uses ammonia.

MikeD
08-21-2016, 10:21 AM
Stan's 340's 32 hole. No issues. Altho bit of a learning curve on the mounting.. But still solid and they've been my everyday rider wheels for the last 4+ yrs.

What kind of bead hook does Stans use? The reason I ask is someone on a bike tour I was on had a tire blow off on a downhill that had Stans rims.