PDA

View Full Version : seriously.. let's talk prologue!

swoop
06-30-2006, 03:05 PM
I got Millar in yellow.
Zabriskie in second and..
crap.. who is left that can tt?

you know.. this whole thing is going to sell a lot of newspapers.. but it's also going to leave a lot of german, french, and italian fans at home instead of in france on the roadside. i'll bet there is big financial impact tourism wise. it's like going to see the Police in concert but with no Sting...
oy.. that was so 1985.

harlond
06-30-2006, 03:11 PM
Well, you've got Julich, Voigt, Gonchar (too short), Landis, Valverde (pretty good in the short ones), Verbrugge, Hincapie, Savoldelli.

Savoldelli looked great at the Giro until allergies overcame him. If he has anything like that form, he could be great. Hard to pick him ahead of DZ and Millar, but I'm going out on a limb and say he'll podium on the day.

Wishful thinking.

Grant McLean
06-30-2006, 03:14 PM
We've got Dave Z's '05 prologue/TTT Cervelo P3 carbon in our shop right now on display,
how cool is that!

g

Erik.Lazdins
06-30-2006, 03:23 PM
Grant,
Pretty cool - is that the bike that crashed? any damage?

I remember back in the early 1990's Emerson Fittipaldi's Penske was parked in front of his Hugo Boss store at Bal Harbour. Emmo was folding shirts!

I'm thinking Dave Z has the prologue what about stage 7?

We've got Dave Z's '05 prologue/TTT Cervelo P3 carbon in our shop right now on display,
how cool is that!

g

Climb01742
06-30-2006, 03:26 PM
i'm guessin' millar and floyd will duke it out for the prologue, with DZ and GH will be top 5. there, i said it.

Fat Robert
06-30-2006, 03:26 PM
too short for dave z, floyd

i like hincapie, hushovd (can smack down power in a prologue), voigt

Grant McLean
06-30-2006, 03:35 PM
Grant,
Pretty cool - is that the bike that crashed? any damage?

Oh ya. The handlebar is ground down on the left side, and there's
a nasty smack in the top tube where the right side of the handlebar
swung around and whacked the frame. The bike is beat, but it's
so cool. Awesome on them that they are loaning a couple of riders' bikes
for us, a hometown shop.

g

Fat Robert
06-30-2006, 03:37 PM
one of horner's bikes is at the shop where I used to work, yea upon three years ago

yeehaw says the bike's urine samples glow in the dark, and the blood's so thick you can stick a fork in it

taz-t
06-30-2006, 03:54 PM
one of horner's bikes is at the shop where I used to work, yea upon three years ago

yeehaw says the bike's urine samples glow in the dark, and the blood's so thick you can stick a fork in it

"'Searchin for my mainline
I couldn't hit it sideways"'

nick0137
06-30-2006, 04:53 PM
Well apologies for being so English but Bradley Wiggins anyone?

Climb01742
06-30-2006, 05:17 PM
Well apologies for being so English but Bradley Wiggins anyone?

apology accepted. :p

ps: aren't you supposed to be thinking footie 24/7?

GoJavs
06-30-2006, 05:30 PM
Bobby J. could easily pull that off. He's won over short distances before. Otherwise, money's on Falco or Hincapie.

Lincoln
06-30-2006, 06:22 PM
I'm takin' Too Tall by 0.1 seconds.

sfscott
06-30-2006, 07:16 PM
havent been paying attention.

97CSI
06-30-2006, 07:29 PM
USA, 2-out-of-3. DZ and GH. No predictions as to which particular spots (win, place or show).

Same for the podium in Paris. GH, LL and FL. 2 of the top 3.

USA's chances have taken a drastic jump (unfortunately). Bobby J seems to shine in these circumstances. Perhaps he'll replace JU.

97CSI
07-01-2006, 09:47 AM
USA, 2-out-of-3. DZ and GH. No predictions as to which particular spots (win, place or show).Thank you. Thank you. PM me for the address to which all prizes are to be sent.

Fat Robert
07-01-2006, 11:25 AM
once again, the fat man is either lucky or good

(or I just checked a bunch of prologue results in stage races from the last three years)

flydhest
07-01-2006, 02:16 PM
once again, the fat man is either lucky or good

(or I just checked a bunch of prologue results in stage races from the last three years)
except for the thought that it was too short for Floyd. If he wasn't a flake, he'd have been close to being in the money if not #1. It wasn't too short.

Fat Robert
07-01-2006, 04:40 PM
dave z surprised me -- he has been close, but not as close as today close in prologues...prologues are so explosive, its an eye opener that he was there in the top three.

I still don't see floyd on the podium in a tour prologue

(before somebody corrects me -- last years "prologue," like the one millar one, was a more of a short TT...it was about as long as a "prologue" can get)

flydhest
07-02-2006, 08:55 AM
Floyd wasn't on the podium, but it wasn't because the course was too short for him to be able to do it.

Grant McLean
07-02-2006, 09:02 AM
(before somebody corrects me -- last years "prologue," like the one millar one, was a more of a short TT...it was about as long as a "prologue" can get)

word.

in fact, last years "prologue" was called
stage one because it was 19km.

g

davids
07-02-2006, 09:05 AM
Floyd wasn't on the podium, but it wasn't because the course was too short for him to be able to do it.
I was wondering what happened there - I guess he had a cut tire and, iin the last seconds, the mechanic changed the wheel out to prevent a blowout. If he'd started on time, the same run would have placed him 3rd.

Fat Robert
07-02-2006, 11:14 AM

which is easy to say after the result

hey...I looked at prologues going back to 2002...floyd hadn't been up in the top 5 against tour-level competition in a super short tt...obviously, he is stronger now and has to be considered a real threat in a power+bike handling exercise like a prologue. if he has improved as much in his existing strengths -- climbing and the tt -- then he should win this thing.