PDA

View Full Version : OT: Usain Bolt out of trials

Elefantino
07-01-2016, 09:18 PM
With a hamstring injury.

If he doesn't compete I will not watch any of the games except for the Todd cycling. And maybe Sagan.

cadence90
07-01-2016, 09:47 PM
If he is fit at all, he'll be granted a medical exemption.

The US swimming trials have been fun to watch, with lots of new faces.

adub
07-01-2016, 09:54 PM
Trials or not if he is fit for the Olympics he will be there.

oldpotatoe
07-02-2016, 05:53 AM
With a hamstring injury.

If he doesn't compete I will not watch any of the games except for the Todd cycling. And maybe Sagan.

sure wink, wink....:)

berserk87
07-02-2016, 06:47 AM

Yeah.

Nothing like a tiny island nation with the best sprinters in the world, coming out of the woodwork. Waiting for the ESPN "30 for 30" one day about the Jamaican doping program/scandal.

When these guys are beating the dopers that have been caught, raises a brow, eh?

Weed and sprinters. And Bob Marley.

sfscott
07-02-2016, 02:22 PM
Hardly out of the woodwork. Carribean sprinters in general and Jamaicanin particular have been strong for generations.

ultraman6970
07-02-2016, 02:35 PM
If not true I dont blame him, this olympic games are going to be a disaster and honestly who wants to get sick??? And im not talking about zica, you get yourself typhus or anything similar and pretty much you get out for several months or maybe end your career right there. The guys that have to do nautical sports... pff... hope somebody sells full force fields uniforms for them.

berserk87
07-02-2016, 03:15 PM
Hardly out of the woodwork. Carribean sprinters in general and Jamaicanin particular have been strong for generations.

Not like this. Strong and dominant are two different things.

Jamaican runners won one Olympic gold medal before the 2000's. Check the results since that time.

Black Dog
07-02-2016, 03:37 PM
Almost all of the Caribbean runners are training in the States. They are not getting world class doping programs from their home countries.

The two Canadian winners of the 100m at the olympics were both born in Jamaica. One of them still has his gold. The other had to return it.

RFC
07-02-2016, 03:49 PM
Whether doping or not, Jamaica has a long history of producing world class sprinters. Remember Donald Quarrie and the other USC Jamaican sprinters. BTW OJ also ran on that 4x100 relay. It makes sense. Jamaica is a relatively poor country. It's much, much cheaper to train and sponsor a team of sprinters than, say, a football team. Sprinting is a Jamaican tradition and the sprinters are national heroes. Very similar to Kenya and it's distance runners.

Oh, and don't forget the Jamaican bobsled team.

Ben Johnson from Canada. Now he was a world class doper!

ultraman6970
07-02-2016, 03:51 PM
OJ ??? OJ simpson?

RFC
07-02-2016, 03:54 PM
OJ ??? OJ simpson?

Yep. Those were the days when talented team athletes often competed in track and field as a secondary sport. For example, Wilt Chamberlain was also the NCAA high jump champ. One of my high school classmates, Mike Fultz (6'8, 300 lb in high school) Was a high school football and basketball All American and also won the state discus championship. He then went on to be a college football All American and then All Pro. He could have had a college track and field scholarship anywhere he wanted to go.

berserk87
07-02-2016, 06:12 PM
Almost all of the Caribbean runners are training in the States. They are not getting world class doping programs from their home countries.

The two Canadian winners of the 100m at the olympics were both born in Jamaica. One of them still has his gold. The other had to return it.

Are you implying that they are each doping independently in the US and just happen to be running for the same national team?

ultraman6970
07-02-2016, 11:46 PM
Wow did not know that about OJ, interesting.

verticaldoug
07-03-2016, 03:38 AM
Jamaica Sports Federation was conducting no out of season testing on the island.

WADA went down for a surprise out of season test, and 3 sprinters were popped. I do not know if Bolt was tested that round.

I think there is a reason Bolt usually disappears over the winter and has a long off-season in Jamaica.

Black Dog
07-03-2016, 05:01 AM
Whether doping or not, Jamaica has a long history of producing world class sprinters. Remember Donald Quarrie and the other USC Jamaican sprinters. BTW OJ also ran on that 4x100 relay. It makes sense. Jamaica is a relatively poor country. It's much, much cheaper to train and sponsor a team of sprinters than, say, a football team. Sprinting is a Jamaican tradition and the sprinters are national heroes. Very similar to Kenya and it's distance runners.

That would apply to Carl Lewis as well.

Black Dog
07-03-2016, 05:05 AM
Are you implying that they are each doping independently in the US and just happen to be running for the same national team?

No. I have no idea about how they are doping. I would assume that most sprinters are, regardless of where they are from or where they train. Doping is going on, history has shown this to be the likely state of affairs in all high level sports.

jlwdm
07-03-2016, 05:30 AM
Yep. Those were the days when talented team athletes often competed in track and field as a secondary sport. For example, Wilt Chamberlain was also the NCAA high jump champ. One of my high school classmates, Mike Fultz (6'8, 300 lb in high school) Was a high school football and basketball All American and also won the state discus championship. He then went on to be a college football All American and then All Pro. He could have had a college track and field scholarship anywhere he wanted to go.

Wilt was the conference high jump champ, not the NCAA champ, and also ran the 100, threw the shot and competed in the triple jump.

Jeff

RFC
07-03-2016, 08:26 AM
Wilt was the conference high jump champ, not the NCAA champ, and also ran the 100, threw the shot and competed in the triple jump.

Jeff

Thanks for the correction. I didn't know about the other events.

And, to add to his list of accomplishments, how many women does he claim to have known, 20,000?

ultraman6970
07-03-2016, 10:27 AM
+1 there is a documentary about dopping called "fastest" or something like that and CL have some dead weight moving around aswell, in a matter of fact the from that documentary the sports US gvmt pretty much put everything under the rug. Obviously he wont admit it, BJ admits everything, why and how that after all is a good thing.

That would apply to Carl Lewis as well.

wallymann
07-03-2016, 11:01 AM
Ben Johnson from Canada.

ben johnson is canadian, but born in jamaica to jamican parents.

same with donovan bailey.

ntb1001
07-03-2016, 11:19 AM

Canadian...yes, but that was his downfall. The entire US team with Carl Lewis tested positive, but was squashed for years...easier to let the Canadian who just won to take the fall.
Ben Johnson was a doping, just like everyone else.

Dosn't seem to have changed much....just it's all about Jamaica now.

RFC
07-03-2016, 01:20 PM
Here are he qualifying rounds and the final of the 1988 Olympic 100m. The final starts at about 11:00. The announcer was commenting on the size of Johnson's shoulders. I remember watching this live and saying "There is no way Johnson cannot be on steroids!"

There is enough testosterone in that field to keep a small town of old men feeling frisky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwz3N0C_ugk

echappist
07-03-2016, 02:05 PM

the cynical side of me is thinking the same. Jamaica has one of the laxest anti-doping systems out there