PDA

View Full Version : Shimano compatibility questions

johnniecakes
07-01-2016, 04:29 PM
I have 2 questions regarding the compatibility of different Shimano parts.

I currently have a 6700 group on my bike. If I got 11 spd wheels, a 6800 cassette, rear derailleur, chain and levers cold I still use the 6700 crankset and front derailleur?

Is a 6700 rear redailluer compatible with flat bar shifter, some along the XT level? I am thinking of making a flat bar bike for short trips around town/commuter bike.

Thanks in advance

Gummee
07-01-2016, 04:36 PM
There's lots of moving pieces in your question so the answer to the question is: sorta

Officially from Shimano, the 10sp cranks don't work right w 11sp drivetrains. Unofficially, I've heard people doing it with few problems.

The last flat bar shifters I remember being compatible with road derailleurs are 9sp. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. You can get 9sp mtn rear derailleurs that'll shift using road 10sp shifters, but not the other way. Again, IIRC

If you put a set of Paul's Thumbies on your bike, you can run 10sp road barcons and use a mtn bike rear der if you need more gearing. If you're just running road stuff, then... the barcons *are* road stuff.

Did I miss anything?

M

oldpotatoe
07-02-2016, 05:57 AM
I have 2 questions regarding the compatibility of different Shimano parts.

I currently have a 6700 group on my bike. If I got 11 spd wheels, a 6800 cassette, rear derailleur, chain and levers could I still use the 6700 crankset and front derailleur?

Is a 6700 rear redailluer compatible with flat bar shifter, some along the XT level? I am thinking of making a flat bar bike for short trips around town/commuter bike.

Thanks in advance

NO to front derailleur. Gotta be a '11s version..9000/6800/5800

The chainsrings are further apart so with very positional front der, you 'may' get some chain to fder cage rubbing at the 'extremes', highest or lowest gear.

No to flatbar/MTB 10s shifter either. 10s shimano isn't compatible with shimano road 10s 'stuff'.

OBTW-Looking thru various web places talking about 9001, NEW DA stuff, 2 said that 9001 front and rear ders ARE compatible with 9000 shifters(and also 6800/5800)...

cmbicycles
07-02-2016, 08:36 AM
Shimano made the r770 flat bar road shifters that were 'ultegra level' shifters or at least marketed as such. They are made to work with road derailleurs. Now, after a quick google search, they appear to only make a tiagra 10s flat bar road shifter that should work with 10s road derailleurs. A deeper search may yield better results.
10s road and 10s mtn from Shimano don't play well together.

johnniecakes
07-02-2016, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the answers. This place a lot of knowledgeable folks