PDA

View Full Version : Low-stack Time Equipe Pro cleat adapters

hankchong
07-01-2016, 03:17 PM
I still ride old school Time pedals. I'm interested in buying a pair of Lake shoes. Anyone have any experience using old Time cleats with shoes drilled for Speedplay? Or, would it be possible to mount Time cleats on Speedplay three-hole adapter plates for use with shoes drilled with the three-hole pattern? I'm trying to avoid using the chunky adapter plate in the pic below.

Thanks for your help!
http://www.steel-vintage.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/t/i/time-challenge-pro-bicycle-pedals-1.jpg

jc031699
07-01-2016, 07:29 PM
I've tried it
Doesn't work
Because the speedplay interface is flat
But the rear cleat time interface is recessed
The drilling is spaced the same though. Too bad-
It keeps the sole from sitting flat on the pedal body so the cleat rocks.

See the lip in front of the rear cleat?
https://www.google.com/search?q=time+cleat+adapter&client=safari&hl=en-us&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiQtLKjw9PNAhUs_4MKHfUqBDIQ_AUICCgC&biw=375&bih=559#imgrc=49dk-9kQrfzywM%3A

Big Dan
07-01-2016, 07:41 PM
You can try the Sidi plate.
They come up on ebay on in a while.

http://www.sprocketandgear.co.uk/pedals/1622-sidi_time_adaptor_plate_for_g3_time_pedal_adapter. html

iPaul
07-02-2016, 03:15 AM
I've tried it
Doesn't work
Because the speedplay interface is flat
But the rear cleat time interface is recessed
The drilling is spaced the same though. Too bad-
It keeps the sole from sitting flat on the pedal body so the cleat rocks.

It can work if you can find the Time plastic plate they used to supply for just this purpose. I believe the later time 4 hole shoes did not have the step so supplied this plate. I'll attach a photo if I can locate.

jc031699
07-02-2016, 10:26 AM
I'm all ears
I have the gray oval adapter plate for the Carnac-style time shoes. But that is an adapter plate and not a shim type plate.

iPaul
07-03-2016, 03:18 AM
Attached is a photo showing some options if you can locate. The plastic plate levels the shoe to allow the rear cleat to sit flush. I'm sure there's a home made option that could be dreamt up.
The other is a low profile metal adapter plate from gaerne.
Good luck

ultraman6970
07-03-2016, 10:50 AM
Hank i was you I would just move to modern times like the rxs. Im an old time user aswell and at some point had to just give up and move those time l'equipe off and move to newer pedals, even time move to 3 holes design.

Those old time shoes were super nice, had a pair aswell.

IMO the original pedal was just perfect, then they came up with the impact that was really similar, imo they shouldnt have discontinue those aswell, nice same quality eternal pedals... then the rxs... anything after the RXS form reviews looks like is not durable at all. People like light stuff, market commands.

Many users like durable stuff with no objections in the weight.

zmudshark
07-03-2016, 11:24 AM
I have these, not sure if I left them in AZ or shipped back to MI. If they are in AZ, I won't be back until November:(

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-D-iJYdaqjEo/VT0Koqa81OI/AAAAAAAALLA/o7YoLBsUc1AZGoR1Jbg_QKx0MIwGPpeQQCCo/s800/P1060097.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-g7GejI6yPDY/VT0KpC5R_CI/AAAAAAAALLE/reqjXpvRxy8RL8L-ONyqgWquYDUjmdBDACCo/s800/P1060098.JPG

hankchong
07-04-2016, 08:14 PM
Thanks, Ultra. How do the Impact and RXS compare? And, how do both compare to the L'Equipe? I hear you about moving on, but the old pedals ride so nicely. I tried a pair of Shimano SPD-SL, and just can't get used to the float and don't feel like they have as solid a platform.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

ultraman6970
07-04-2016, 09:23 PM
Ive tried shimano and looks even with float never felt right, so I do see where are you going...

The 1st thing I have to highlight is that you can use the rxs cleat with the impact. The newer models for some idiotic reason I still cant understand eventhought the cleat looks like the same, it is not the same as the cafe rxs/impact cleat, they moved a section back or forward (cant remember) and pretty much they screw everybody with that, my reason to do not have the latest models of time pedals.

One of the things you will miss going to rxs/impact is that double click, the safety click plastic is not there so no characteristic second click. Honestly I do not remember any issue going to rxs from the original lequipe, float felt the same to me. The rxs and impact depending on the model have the same or even more adjustability than the lequipe, you can make the float harder or softer even I believe you can null it aswell, the unclip can be adjusted aswell.

I will asume that you are still using the old time shoe, the problem with them was that you were not able to adjust the cleat diagonally, with new shoes you can do that to find the right spot you know, the other big difference is that eventhought the cleats are marked left/right, you can use them either foot and that will get your foot closer to the crankset. Obviosly if you need one foot closer and the other one normal then you might need another set of cleats.. because you will be using 2 left or 2 right cleats.

The rxs pedals are smaller and a lot lighter than the old lequipe and you will notice it for sure. But functionally I did not feel like a lot of difference because it is the same system but with out the safety feature.

Never been able to unlock the shoes by accident or feel like my feet are floating around or that the spring load is there fighting against me, if you feel that the spring load the messing you up is because the cleat is in the wrong place.

You can find used rxs for almost nothing lately, probably new cleats will be more than a used set of pedals.

Hope this helps.

hankchong
07-05-2016, 08:15 AM
Thanks, Ultra. I appreciate the help!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk