PDA

View Full Version : road cycling in/near Park City, UT?

Bob Ross
07-01-2016, 02:18 PM
Better late than never: Anyone have any recommendations for routes in or around Park City, UT? Will be vacationing there next week, bringing the road bikes...and haven't even looked at a map yet!

Any must-do roads? Epic-but-not-too-epic climbs? (My wife is still nursing a knee injury so don't want to do too much extreme elevation.) Local cycle clubs we should hook up with?

Thanks.

p nut
07-01-2016, 02:30 PM
Any interest in mountain biking? I'm local (1 hr south), but never road biked there. There is a bike path that goes around the perimeter of the city. There is also a rail-to-trail that heads out to Echo Reservoir, if your bikes can handle the (fairly well-graded) dirt road. But mountain biking is fantastic! Highly recommended.

You may want to call up Jans or Cole Sport. Friends have rented from both places and had good experiences. I'm sure they've got good road routes, if that's your cup-o-tea.

Bob Ross
07-01-2016, 02:33 PM
Any interest in mountain biking? I'm local (1 hr south), but never road biked there. There is a bike path that goes around the perimeter of the city. There is also a rail-to-trail that heads out to Echo Reservoir, if your bikes can handle the (fairly well-graded) dirt road. But mountain biking is fantastic! Highly recommended.

Thanks, but Ms. Thing is pretty dogmatically anti-dirt...and admittedly I'm not much fonder of it, at least not when riding a drop-bar skinny-tire bike.

p nut
07-01-2016, 02:40 PM
Thanks, but Ms. Thing is pretty dogmatically anti-dirt...and admittedly I'm not much fonder of it, at least not when riding a drop-bar skinny-tire bike.

There is actually a road race I've been wanting to do for a few years: Tour de Park City. Goes up Mirror Lake highway, which is beautiful. Not much shoulder, from what I remember. Nice ride, though. You can do an out and back from Kamas. Here is the TdPC route:

http://www.mapmyride.com/us/evanston-wy/tour-de-park-city-classic-road-race-route-71768726

Probably go counter-clockwise and climb to satisfaction.

exapkib
07-01-2016, 02:54 PM
Depending on the distance and amount of climbing you're looking for, you can also go south from Kamas to Francis, then left on hwy 35, which is a nice ride along the Provo river then up through Soapstone Basin to Wolf Creek Pass. We spend a lot of time up there, and I love riding those roads--decent (though not large) shoulder most of the time, and the traffic isn't heavy (except on holidays).

Beautiful Country up there--I'll dig around for some photos this evening.

Bob Ross
07-12-2016, 05:07 AM
Mirror Lake highway, which is beautiful. Not much shoulder, from what I remember. Nice ride, though. You can do an out and back from Kamas.

We did Mirror Lake Highway as one of our routes. Started in Kamas and went up 20 miles, turned around and hammered the crap out of that gentle 20 mile descent. "Not much shoulder" indeed, and lots of car & truck traffic, but ultimately a fun ride. I think if I were to do it again -- and if I wasn't going to try to do the whole ~32 mile climb -- I would drive to one of the trailhead parking lots around mile 12 or 15 and start from there, because Mirror Lake highway seemed to get conspicuously prettier the farther from Kamas we got.

Anyhow, thanks for the tip!

TimAZ
07-12-2016, 11:35 PM
Bob are you still in town? I'm late to this thread.

Bob Ross
07-13-2016, 10:48 AM
Bob are you still in town? I'm late to this thread.

No, I just got home late Sunday night.