PDA

View Full Version : Helmet Thoughts - Kask Protone, LG Course, Specialized Prevail

jwess1234
07-01-2016, 12:07 PM
It's time for a new helmet. My top three so far are: Kask Protone, LG Course, Specialized Prevail.

Right now I have a Specialized Propero II and like it, but it's that time for a replacement. I could get this again--good ventilation good price, but am thinking of switching it up.

Any thoughts (especially those who have tried two or more)?

Wayne77
07-01-2016, 12:32 PM
I don't have much to add, but will say that I've been wanting the LG course for a long time. Its a so called "aero" helmet, but it doesn't look like an alien landing craft like some of the others (Specialized Prevail, etc)

I've seen a alot more of them at the races. Its a really low profile look - doesn't look bulbous at all on your head... LOVE the looks of the red one

nooneline
07-01-2016, 01:23 PM
If you liked the Propero, you'll like the Prevail. Specialized's standard road helmets are light, very well ventilated, and have really comfortable strap/enclosure/tightener systems.

But, yes, the LG Course is a very low profile and good-looking helmet. The riders I know who have it love it. I'm suspect of the aerodynamic findings on it, though - the methods in which it excels seems to test the helmet, not really the helmet+body system.

apple
07-01-2016, 01:32 PM
I have used the Spec Prevail and currently have the Kask Protone. Really love the Kask, very sleek profile and doesn't feel like it juts off my head. Plus very comfortable and got a special color edition which pops and I get lots of compliments. I liked the prevail too (and Evade, incidently), but so far the Kask is my favorite road helmet I've ever used, including non aero helmets. The only helmet I ever found more comfortable was the Giro Prolight, which I don't think they make any more. But it didn't have much adjustability.

kgreene10
07-01-2016, 02:26 PM
Fit is different across the options. Spec and LG for my head well. I couldn't even get the properly sized Protone over my brow - and I've never been accused of having an abnormal head. I may, of course, but you would think I would have figured it out long before trying a Kask.

I really like the Spec straps that don't have that typical and awkward mid-strap adjuster.

KonaSS
07-01-2016, 03:14 PM
I have the LG and Specialized. Both fit similar (and well) on my head.

About the only point of differentiation I can make is I like the straps better on the LG. They attach closer to your head as they go into the helmet on the LG, makes them a bit quieter.

Hank Scorpio
07-01-2016, 03:18 PM
I am going to post a negative review for the LG course. I have the first years version so maybe some of my issues have been addressed already. First both adjustment sliders broke. LG was going to send me new ones but I had some from a crashed giro so no big deal there. The actual circumference adjuster is where I have my main problems. It won't stay attached to the helmet. It pops out at least once a ride I would say and the padding is junk. I don't think mine lasted a full season before needing replacement. I had some bell volt pads that I put into the LG but this was also in rotation with at minimum 2 other helmets. I would like to purchase the Protone, Met manta or rivale and maybe another Lazer Z1.

fignon's barber
07-01-2016, 04:41 PM
Kask is round and only comes in 2 sizes. If your head is oval shaped and medium sized, chances are the kask won't fit well.
I've got a problem with companies selling $300 helmets, then offering only 2 sizes because they want to cut costs by only making 2 molds.
They may not be the "exotic" choice, but give credit to Speshy and Giro for offering multiple sizes to ensure proper fit.

jwess1234
07-02-2016, 01:06 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone--especially the warning about the LG helmet. I found a 4th of july sale and went for the Kask (200) same price as the specialized prevail at retail. Hope to get it mid week. I will give some feedback shortly thereafter.

BTW--its the white and lime green accents on the bottom. I like the matte black one, but prefer white helmets for heat/visibility in low light... and I'm a sucker for lime green.

Veloo
07-02-2016, 02:01 AM
Found this interesting write up.
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/best-aero-road-helmets-tunnel-and-road-tested-44719/