PDA

View Full Version : Wheelset dilemma

tjk23
07-01-2016, 11:44 AM
So I bought a new bike and I am parting out the old one. I have two sets of wheels I am trying to decide between. The new bike came with Mavic Ksyrium Elites and my old wheels are Boyd Altamounts that I purchased just a few months ago. Having a hard time deciding which set to sell because I can't justify keeping both sets.

Cicli
07-01-2016, 11:46 AM
So I bought a new bike and I am parting out the old one. I have two sets of wheels I am trying to decide between. The new bike came with Mavic Ksyrium Elites and my old wheels are Boyd Altamounts that I purchased just a few months ago. Having a hard time deciding which set to sell because I can't justify keeping both sets.

Mavic dosent get much love arou d here but........ In the end, they are a pretty good factory built wheel.
And one of the few that say the 11 speed coming from way back when. Not a bad choice.

weisan
07-01-2016, 11:57 AM
>>I can't justify keeping both sets.

Might be good to keep one as spare.

Resale value of used wheels are not that great.

Sierra
07-01-2016, 12:15 PM
Mavic wheels don't get much love around here? Neither does Michelin, I've noticed. Neither do clinchers.

I have Mavic Ksyrium Elites on one of my road bikes. They have performed spectacularly well over the years.

To me, there is what does the job well. The rest is all about disposable income and fetishism.

That is all.

berserk87
07-01-2016, 12:57 PM
I think it depends on the generation of the Kysriums and what edition. The first generation of the Ksyrium was one of the best factory wheels ever made in terms of sheer toughness. I am still riding mine (used for winter training). The newer latest-greatest Ksyriums are not so. Over the years, Mavic tried to turn them into something that they were not and milled out the rims, narrowed the spokes, and made a wheel that was still neither very light, very aerodynamic, and lost much of its stiffness and all of its durability.

The notch below (with steel spokes - Elites? Equips?) seem to work better, as someone else stated.

I don't know about the Boyds.

If you don't have an extra wheel set already, it's always wise to have a backup set.

OldCrank
07-01-2016, 01:01 PM
I'm also of the Keep `Em mindset. One pothole could make you glad you did.

You could put your favorite fast 23s on the lighter set, and some comfier or tougher 25s on the other set, for when you're not sure of the road surface, or commuting.

Oh yeah, there are Pro4 SCs on my Ksyriums, workin' just fine.

Tony
07-01-2016, 01:12 PM
If your bent on only keeping one wheelset I would go with the Boyd's. They are well built, fairly light, easy to work on, and not sure if this means anything but my Altamount's spin forever. I can spin the front wheel, have a coffee at Temple and by the time I'm done the wheel is still rocking back and forth.

sandyrs
07-01-2016, 01:26 PM
Keep the Boyds because spoke replacement is easier.