PDA

View Full Version : Rust Treatment/Converters?

josephr
07-01-2016, 11:24 AM
Working on an older Paramount PDG frame that was left in a basement...rust areas are mostly around the lug edges and bottle bosses. The rest of the bike looks just fine and is certainly has a lot of good rides in it. I've used a lime juice/baking soda mix along with a wire brush to take off the crusty rust...but still some areas are bare or need something...

my question -- has anyone ever used a rust treatment/converter on a frame? I've run steel wool over the rest of the bike and the paint looks cool in a old-crappy bike sort of way, so really just want to seal the spots I've scrubbed down. Suggestions?
Thanks!
Joe

ColonelJLloyd
07-01-2016, 11:26 AM
Oxalic acid bath. Plenty of info out there.

paredown
07-01-2016, 11:57 AM
If you're not going to be riding in the rain or live where condensation is a real problem, I'd do the oxalic acid (if it needs it) and then a couple of good coats of a quality paste wax.

Make sure though if you sweat and drip on the TT that you give it a wipe down after your ride.

Schmed
07-01-2016, 12:03 PM
Working on an older Paramount PDG frame that was left in a basement...rust areas are mostly around the lug edges and bottle bosses. The rest of the bike looks just fine and is certainly has a lot of good rides in it. I've used a lime juice/baking soda mix along with a wire brush to take off the crusty rust...but still some areas are bare or need something...

my question -- has anyone ever used a rust treatment/converter on a frame? I've run steel wool over the rest of the bike and the paint looks cool in a old-crappy bike sort of way, so really just want to seal the spots I've scrubbed down. Suggestions?
Thanks!
Joe

Lime juice = acid
Baking soda = caustic
Add them together, you get a salt. I'm surprised that it did anything.

Citric and oxalic acids have a unique ability to remove rust (as stated above). I'd finish with a GOOD rinse, then frame saver treatment or some phosphate treatment to stop that corrosion.

foo_fighter
07-01-2016, 12:26 PM
Evapo Rust seems pretty highly reviewed on amazon.

icepick_trotsky
07-01-2016, 12:36 PM
Get some Bar Keeper's friend (oxalic acid powder), and use as directed.

Cicli
07-01-2016, 12:37 PM
Very stong black tea works real well.

Gsinill
07-01-2016, 12:41 PM
https://s31.postimg.org/trm85hgkb/IMG_2501.jpg

Both work really well.

I used the NAPA stuff on my Univega beater. It is like clear paint that turns rust into some black stuff and seals it.
The frame is dark gray and for this it worked perfectly, almost not visible.
But again, this is my beater...

ColonelJLloyd
07-01-2016, 12:58 PM
Get some Bar Keeper's friend (oxalic acid powder), and use as directed.

Meh. It has oxalic acid in it, but a lot of other things too. It's better for stainless pots than a true oxalic acid bath for a steel frame.

josephr
07-02-2016, 11:20 AM
https://s31.postimg.org/trm85hgkb/IMG_2501.jpg

Both work really well.

I used the NAPA stuff on my Univega beater. It is like clear paint that turns rust into some black stuff and seals it.
The frame is dark gray and for this it worked perfectly, almost not visible.
But again, this is my beater...

Thanks....I must've written my intro funny to get some of the other answers! This is exactly what I needed to know! :beer:

stephenmarklay
07-02-2016, 11:27 AM
I have used POR brand metal etchers. They have changed the product but I still have metal ready.