PDA

View Full Version : Tour de France and "Band of Brothers"

Elefantino
07-01-2016, 12:38 AM
The first stage of the Tour will pass through Ste. Marie du Mont on the way to Utah Beach. As it goes up the main road to Utah, it will pass the Maj. Richard D. Winters leadership statue.

Those of you who know "Band of Brothers," either through Ambrose's book or the HBO miniseries, know that Dick Winters was one of the outstanding leaders of World War II. He was universally loved by his men; I have not read of another commander who received so much praise from the men he fought alongside.

Winters' statue is down the road from Brecourt Manor, where he led 12 men from Easy Company against a vastly superior German force to disable four 105 mm guns that were firing on the 4th Infantry landing at Utah. His tactics that day are still taught at West Point.

I regret that I never met the man, nor any of the outstanding men of Easy Company. However, it's nice that my sport is in a very small way paying tribute to him and the thousands of others who fought and died 72 years ago.

Currahee.

1happygirl
07-01-2016, 12:47 AM
Beautifully written, E.

Once again, I learned something here.

I am glad they are going there.

Do you happen to know why he was not General Winters after the war?

Elefantino
07-01-2016, 12:54 AM
Beautifully written, E.

Once again, I learned something here.

I am glad they are going there.

Do you happen to know why he was not General Winters after the war?
Thanks!

He rose from a platoon leader to command a battalion, not a regiment, and therefore stopped at major.

1happygirl
07-01-2016, 12:59 AM
Thank you again.

Definitely a Hero.

NickR
07-01-2016, 01:19 AM
Those of you who know "Band of Brothers," either through Ambrose's book or the HBO miniseries,

Currahee.

Great show put together by HBO.

Tickdoc
07-01-2016, 06:38 AM
Would love to go there some day. My son went at 12 on an organized trip and we have a small vial of sand from the beach. It is hard to imagine the sacrifice those men made.

rbtmcardle
07-01-2016, 08:15 AM
My son and I went to Normandy after his first year of college, we stayed in Bayeux and spent several days with guided tours of the different D-day locations. We had both read most of the Easy Company books including Band of Brothers. I will say it may be the most inspirational place I have ever been, and seemingly the locals still appreciate the sacrifices made, not only by the Americans but all who participated in the battle. I cried like a baby standing in the American Cemetery there and have a greater appreciation for the sacrifices made for having gone.

I haven't read one negative account of Major Winters leadership, which is remarkable though I think he would be embarrassed by the praise lavished on him, and would likely say, they just did what they had to do.

On the train back to Paris my son told me he had decided to leave school and join the military, I didn't push him or even discuss it unless he brought it up to me. It took almost a full year, but he is now in the Marines stationed in Pendleton and I frankly could not be more proud.

There are seemingly few people who truly understand the thought of this verse..greater love hath no man than this, but he lay down his life for his friend. That ideal was one of the hallmarks of "the greatest generation"

572cv
07-01-2016, 11:04 AM
This is a great post about a remarkable person. Thanks, Elephantino for making that connection for us.

ColonelJLloyd
07-01-2016, 11:07 AM
Great show put together by HBO.

And Hanks and Spielberg, I believe.

ColonelJLloyd
07-01-2016, 11:09 AM
And since today is the 100th anniversary of the largest battle of The Great War anyone who is interested might enjoy the Hardcore History Blueprint for Armageddon podcast. (http://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-50-blueprint-for-armageddon-i/)

gasman
07-01-2016, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the well written reminder of a remarkable man. Great book and HBO series.

gdw
07-01-2016, 11:19 AM
The First World War started in 1914. Today is the 100 anniversary of the start of the Battle of
the Somme.

FlashUNC
07-01-2016, 11:25 AM
ASO slumming hard for American viewers.

ColonelJLloyd
07-01-2016, 11:27 AM
The First World War started in 1914. Today is the 100 anniversary of the start of the Battle of
the Somme.

Right, sorry. Largest battle.

F150
07-02-2016, 10:08 AM
ASO slumming hard for American viewers.

No mention of monument by Liggett or Sherwen...

rileystylee
07-02-2016, 10:11 AM
David millar and Gary Imlach gave the Americans and monument a mention onitv4 coverage.
Nice win by cavendish!:banana:

FlashUNC
07-02-2016, 12:05 PM
No mention of monument by Liggett or Sherwen...

No, but they did talk about Utah beach endlessly.

Elefantino
07-02-2016, 04:41 PM
The PeePee boys are just horrible. I used to fall on their every word(s) but that was about 15 years ago. Listening to them is like watching Willie Mays play center field for the Mets.

Even though Eurosport's coverage was about 0.4 km behind NBC's, I watched Eurosport. Geezervision is just too much to take anymore.