PDA

View Full Version : Fit, performance and adaptation to position

Ti Designs
06-30-2006, 11:59 AM
The useage of wattage meters in fitting is soooo easy to explain to the client - if you see gains it must be good, right? So there are lots of fitters looking for gains by changing positions. Problem - small changes are probably gonna make decreases in performance to start with, only after an adaptation period will the true outcome be seen. But who has time to wait two weeks? I want results now!!! So, they make big changes, looking for measurable gains. What they really create is injury. I'm a little sick of it. 8 of my customers have gone to another fitter who boasts measured increases in performance, all 8 are now off the bike with all kinds of problems. I rechecked position on one of them, the saddle height was 3cm higher than what I set. I'll admit that I set the saddle height at a baseline to avoid injury, and I explain that optimal power output is probably at a higher saddle height. I also explain that base miles = stress cycles, and it's safe to make small changes over time to get there. Cranking the saddle up 3cm in one move? I hope they liked the power numbers they saw during the fitting...

A word to the wise - power meters are a performance tool, not a selling tool. Make small changes, make single changes (one parameter you can track, change lots of things and you have no idea what's going on), take the time to adapt to the changes. Even if you do go to one of those fitters who use power output as their justification for position, make the end position a long term target. Mark the seatpost where they leave it and get there in small increments. With each change there are new stresses to connective tissue, small stress cycles strengthen, large stress cycles damage points of connection.

ada@prorider.or
06-30-2006, 12:07 PM
totaly agree
we did a test at university ,if there is a change in possition it alwayd that you gain power but loose this after a while the reason for this is there a muscle´s activated in a way they never been before as they create the extra force

power measurent is a tool nothing more then that there are a whole range of effects to consider
cees

Fat Robert
06-30-2006, 12:09 PM
yep

dr. mesmer is still workin that thang, just in bike shops

Too Tall
06-30-2006, 03:36 PM
TiD - Just thanks. Good thread...first one all day bruddah :)

Agree and willing to take it a step further. There is a fitting system that has a signature look to it. That "look" has a hallmark high saddle position and boy is that f'd up. I mean true, as you say, their ultimate saddle height might be "this high" but to just slam a rider esp. an exp. hand into it and say "just go for it" is nuts. I like to think of some changes as "goals" rather than set it and ride. eeesh, some people :rolleyes: