PDA

View Full Version : How to get better at climbing with no hills...

berserk87
06-30-2016, 09:33 AM
I saw this today and had to laugh:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/get-good-climbing-dont-live-near-hills-video-235605

It may be effective, but...hilarious.

Tickdoc
06-30-2016, 09:44 AM
I saw this today and had to laugh:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/get-good-climbing-dont-live-near-hills-video-235605

It may be effective, but...hilarious.

Ha! I thought I was going to see this:

http://www.gagnesports.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/parachute-bike.jpg

MattTuck
06-30-2016, 09:47 AM
That guy is hungry. Too many people want easy results. This guy is willing to put in the work.

Saint Vitus
06-30-2016, 10:08 AM
Or pull a trailer full of bricks...

Dead Man
06-30-2016, 10:17 AM
An injury has kept me out of the hills for a couple of weeks... But the Columbia River Valley is so freakin windy, I swear I'm grinding just as hard on the flats sometimes. Was in my small ring, full mash, just trying to hold 13mph the other day. So hateful.

The return trip was nice, though (also much like hills!)

teleguy57
06-30-2016, 10:21 AM
That guy is hungry. Too many people want easy results. This guy is willing to put in the work.

Yes. I was reminded of this thread across the hall (http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f2/prepping-mountains-prairie-26186-2.html), particularly post #23.

If you want it, you can make it happen. Now I just need to figure out how to want it enough to really do the work.

CampyorBust
06-30-2016, 10:45 AM
What kind of tire is that?

invertedhog
06-30-2016, 11:00 AM
Aren't there resistence trainers that you can elevate the front wheel and up the resist?
Don't know if that equates at all to actual climbing...

Joxster
06-30-2016, 11:04 AM
We used to use a tractor tyre that was filled with concrete for standing starts on the track, that was back in 1986

Dead Man
06-30-2016, 11:06 AM
Aren't there resistence trainers that you can elevate the front wheel and up the resist?
Don't know if that equates at all to actual climbing...

As far as I know, just cranking up the gears on any trainer should simulate climbing just fine. Fluid anyway.. I guess I haven't used any other variety.

I've never bothered to elevate the front wheel, but yea.. You could certainly do that.

bikinchris
06-30-2016, 11:30 AM
A masters rider from New Orleans area used to do that back in the 80's. He became world champion in his age group. He was also wired different than anyone else I had ever met. He made my time as district rep for USCF very hard.

unterhausen
06-30-2016, 12:48 PM
interesting post on VS. I have found that mountain biking really helps my climbing because at some point you can either really dig and put out the power or fall over and break your body on the rocks.

I have ridden with plenty of Florida riders that climb much better than me, but then again almost everyone climbs better than me. I'm a natural sprinter.

slidey
06-30-2016, 12:57 PM
At some point, I had played around with the idea of ankle weights.

Logically, seems flawless...but I left it at the idea-inception stage :D

berserk87
06-30-2016, 02:20 PM
What kind of tire is that?

A big one. Looks tubeless. Non-folding.

Ralph
06-30-2016, 02:31 PM
A lot of Florida riders train very effectively in Florida. Although can't duplicate the altitude change.

Just here in the Central Florida area (W of Orlando), we have some 15% grade short hills.....1/8-1/4 mile or so. I know a guy who trains over there on a particular hard hill. Up and down 30 times or so on a training ride. On a weekend....hundreds of Florida riders over there doing that. Some train on bridges, etc. Not the real thing....but it's all we got.

berserk87
06-30-2016, 02:39 PM
Imagine going around a corner quickly with that tire in tow. That could get ugly.

tiretrax
06-30-2016, 03:27 PM
... but then again almost everyone climbs better than me. I'm a natural sprinter.

Be happy about that - I climb like a sprinter and sprint like a climber.

unterhausen
06-30-2016, 03:49 PM
we don't really have any trouble finding hills around here, but I find that if I climb a lot, my sprint gets better. Wish I knew that back when I was racing.

Louis
06-30-2016, 03:52 PM
A big one. Looks tubeless. Non-folding.

The key question is whether or not to go with a tubular.

I hear they provide "magic carpet" resistance.

bcroslin
06-30-2016, 05:51 PM
A lot of Florida riders train very effectively in Florida. Although can't duplicate the altitude change.

Just here in the Central Florida area (W of Orlando), we have some 15% grade short hills.....1/8-1/4 mile or so. I know a guy who trains over there on a particular hard hill. Up and down 30 times or so on a training ride. On a weekend....hundreds of Florida riders over there doing that. Some train on bridges, etc. Not the real thing....but it's all we got.

I know that hill....

I've heard of dudes here in FL riding hills with water bottles full of pennies

smontanaro
07-01-2016, 09:46 AM
But the Columbia River Valley is so freakin windy....

I live in the Chicago area (aka Flatlandia), though like to ride the Dairyland Dare from time to time. I've developed this little mantra:

Hunt for hills, embrace the wind.

That doesn't make me a better climber, but helps me appreciate the wind when I find it (which is often in these parts).