PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly kills mountain biker

LegendRider
06-30-2016, 09:20 AM
Awful.

http://flatheadbeacon.com/2016/06/29/grizzly-bear-kills-person-near-west-glacier/

p nut
06-30-2016, 09:41 AM
Tragic. Different outcome if he had a bear bell? Or bear spray? Not sure how effective they are on grizzlies.

Mr. Pink
06-30-2016, 11:28 AM
Yee gads, I just saw The Revenant the other night. Nasty way to go.

Ozz
06-30-2016, 12:43 PM
Tragic. Different outcome if he had a bear bell? Or bear spray? Not sure how effective they are on grizzlies.

Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur.

Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.

(not intending to make light of this tragedy....grizzlies are just bad news)

brownhound
06-30-2016, 01:41 PM

They're supposed to work on both bears. Though a mountain bike might've been moving fast enough to startle a grizzly even with a bell and reduced the amount of time available to get spray out.

redir
06-30-2016, 01:53 PM
Black bear kill more people each year then Brown but it's more likely due to the fact that Black bear live closer to populated areas and people are stupid. I see a lot of them in Virginia now and a buddy of mine was chased by one a couple weeks ago as he approached on his bike and their were cubs in a tree.

bikinchris
06-30-2016, 02:08 PM
The thing is this guy wasn't a stupid tourist. He lived in the area and worked at the park. This is why I don't want to take wilderness hikes in places like Glacier NP or Yellowstone.

malcolm
06-30-2016, 02:26 PM
The thing is this guy wasn't a stupid tourist. He lived in the area and worked at the park. This is why I don't want to take wilderness hikes in places like Glacier NP or Yellowstone.

He probably accidentally rode up on the bear or inadvertently threatened it in some way.

It's still pretty unlikely that you'll be killed by a bear. I think yellowstone has more bear deaths than glacier even though glacier has a denser population, I think. There is website that lists all bear deaths and the circumstances as well as the type of bear. I'll see if I can find the link.

Almost all attacks are from people walking up on the bear or accidentally getting between a female and it's cubs.

We saw a black bear with at least one cub and a grizzly last week in yellowstone. Last year we were pretty close to a grizzly swimming a river in yellowstone. I was shocked at how close to where he got out of the water some people stayed. My daughter and I got way back as he approached shallow water, like several hundred yards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America

the above isn't exactly what I was looking for but close. It give the yearly attacks/deaths by year and bear type with a paragraph on circumstances. Very interesting

bikingshearer
06-30-2016, 02:32 PM
Very sad story, for the rider and the bear, who will likely be put down if found. (Not an editorial comment, but a fact of life.) :(

Most grizzlies will leave people alone most of the time. If you startle one, however, especially if it's a momma bear and her cubs are around, things can go south in a hurry. Also, you never know when you are going to encounter that one outlier grizzly that either didn't get the "leave the two-legged things alone" memo or is having a bad-fur day and you become the target of opportunity.

Kirk007
06-30-2016, 02:41 PM

If you don't mind the company, hike in a group of 4-5. At least as of a couple years ago there were no documented attacks on a group this large. Now there is still the random story of a bear attacking someone while they are in a tent like the recent black bear attack in the east and the infamous Night of the Grizzly attack at Trout Lake in 1967.

cachagua
06-30-2016, 02:47 PM
Kinda bike was this guy riding? Was it that one they tested on a downhill? The one the handlebar broke off of?

Okay, bad joke.

All the points made above about bear behavior are in a wonderful book called "Bear Attacks: Their Causes and Prevention". After this rather ambitious title, the author goes minutely through a number of case studies, cites observations and research by wildlife biologists, and concludes that, while yes, bears don't like to be surprised, and yes, they protect their young fiercely, and yes, they are territorial, and all the rest of it, they are ALSO intelligent and long-lived, and therefore one individual's momentary state of mind is unpredictable absolutely. Like humans, you can learn all there is to know about them and they will still surprise you.

My ownself, though -- to be honest, if I could choose, I'd rather get it that way than from a texting driver.

zmudshark
06-30-2016, 03:13 PM
Tragic. Different outcome if he had a bear bell? Or bear spray? Not sure how effective they are on grizzlies.Don't know about bears and bells, but I was hiking in the desert and there was a fellow that had bells on walking the other side of a wash from me. I was standing still watching a pack of coyotes that were intently watching him. The bells appeared to give them something to focus on.

When I was much younger I hiked in the wilderness, without a weapon other than a good knife. I saw Grizzly tracks once. I altered a 10 day hike to head in the opposite direction.

Brad Treat was better prepared than most of us would be in case of a bear attack. I doubt even firearm would have helped.

I remember this Grizzly moment from long ago, and actually found a video:

http://animals.howstuffworks.com/6670-magnificent-moments-grizzly-capture-gone-wrong-video.htm

William
06-30-2016, 03:42 PM
A good book worth a read...

William

Tickdoc
06-30-2016, 04:20 PM

I went last year on a guided four day camp tour through the black canyon and had a blast. Saw about 14 black bears, and had a Grizzly come very close to our camp. He was across the river from our camp after dinner one night, about 40 ft away. Highlight of the trip for sure. (That, and almost stepping on the same rattlenake twice)

The risk is there, but I'll cherish that trip forever and never forget the sight of that guy.

adub
06-30-2016, 04:37 PM
When a charge happens its doubtful you'll have time to unholster your pepper spray.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLMa5-n2OVc

arazate
06-30-2016, 04:38 PM
I've had these brownies pretty close to me while fishing in Alaska; they do keep to themselves while feeding on salmon. Still gives me a very uneasy feeling though, they are massive.

cachagua
06-30-2016, 05:59 PM
"Causes and Avoidance", thank you. I kinda felt when recollecting that other word that it seemed a little stronger than warranted...

buddybikes
06-30-2016, 07:28 PM
My cousin who was a former national level rider in the 70s (and was almost killed in Las Vegas buy guy going 80mph and left her for dead) once jumped on her bike and rode from Virginia to Texas, camping by herself. One night she felt somthing sitting on her whil sleeping, she kept pushing whatever it was off. In morning got out out of tent and her Brooks leather saddle was totally eaten.

tuscanyswe
06-30-2016, 07:46 PM
When a charge happens its doubtful you'll have time to unholster your pepper spray.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLMa5-n2OVc

Atleast that one gave up pretty fast. This one would kill me from the scare even if it didn't actually catch me .)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlAZys_ZMic

buldogge
06-30-2016, 07:49 PM
A couple of years ago in Yellowstone we (myself, wife, 8yo) inadvertently hiked-up upon a grizzly and her cub...Initially we did not see the cub, who was lying in the grass/eating berries just over the hillock. The mama bear made it very apparent she did not want us hiking further up the trail.

Wife and son were terrified...I'm too stupid to be the right level of fearful...made myself as "big and loud" and possible and retreated slowly.

We dropped down the ridge line a bit and semi-circled around, further down the trail...Once we got to a vantage point on the opposite side, I was able to see the cub that she was so worked up about.

My wife now refuses to go on any backcountry hikes in Glacier, Yellowstone, or anywhere in AK.

-Mark in St. Louis

djg21
06-30-2016, 08:16 PM
He probably accidentally rode up on the bear or inadvertently threatened it in some way.

It's still pretty unlikely that you'll be killed by a bear. I think yellowstone has more bear deaths than glacier even though glacier has a denser population, I think. There is website that lists all bear deaths and the circumstances as well as the type of bear. I'll see if I can find the link.

Almost all attacks are from people walking up on the bear or accidentally getting between a female and it's cubs.

We saw a black bear with at least one cub and a grizzly last week in yellowstone. Last year we were pretty close to a grizzly swimming a river in yellowstone. I was shocked at how close to where he got out of the water some people stayed. My daughter and I got way back as he approached shallow water, like several hundred yards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America

the above isn't exactly what I was looking for but close. It give the yearly attacks/deaths by year and bear type with a paragraph on circumstances. Very interesting

I don't understand why there is a need to find and kill the bear. There is nothing in the story to indicate that the animal was being predatory and I don't buy into the wive's tale that animals develop a taste for human flesh. Even if they find a Grizzly in the area, how is it established that the one found will be the same bear that attacked the cyclist? The fact is that when you venture into backcountry, you assume certain risks, and unfortunate encounters with wildlife can be one of them. Leave the damn bear alone.

Seramount
06-30-2016, 08:52 PM
I don't understand why there is a need to find and kill the bear. There is nothing in the story to indicate that the animal was being predatory and I don't buy into the wive's tale that animals develop a taste for human flesh. Even if they find a Grizzly in the area, how is it established that the one found will be the same bear that attacked the cyclist? The fact is that when you venture into backcountry, you assume certain risks, and unfortunate encounters with wildlife can be one of them. Leave the damn bear alone.

totally agree.

the natural world doesn't need to be made 100% safe for humans.

Dead Man
06-30-2016, 10:27 PM
https://youtu.be/uM-BE3p9TUI?t=1m

p nut
07-01-2016, 11:43 AM
...My wife now refuses to go on any backcountry hikes in Glacier, Yellowstone, or anywhere in AK.

-Mark in St. Louis

I understand the fear and definitely not judging, but that is a shame. Visit to GNP is on the schedule for me and the fam (hopefully this year. First visit.), and will be going to Yellowstone next month. Fatal bear attacks claim less than 1 person per year, on the average. Considering I ride on the road, which a quick search reports 113 deaths in 2014 alone, I feel pretty safe out on the trails. I also drive out on the road, which is even at a higher risk. As my friend at BLM once told me, you've got a higher chance of being killed by a vending machine (which has claimed an average of 2 people per year since the 70's).

Either way, be safe out there. But also enjoy the beauty that surrounds us. :) Happy 4th.

Hawker
07-01-2016, 02:41 PM

Don't disagree, but my guess is that once a bear figures out how easy it is to kill a human it might make them more aggressive in the future? Just a guess.

Dead Man
07-01-2016, 03:26 PM
Once a potentially deadly animal kills a human, why would you not put it down? You don't think it's likely to attack a human again if it had the chance to do so? We move down some links in the food chain, in the eyes of that bear. **** that.

Bears usually AVOID humans - if one is so aggressive that it'll KILL one of us, take that thing out.

djg21
07-01-2016, 04:39 PM
Once a potentially deadly animal kills a human, why would you not put it down? You don't think it's likely to attack a human again if it had the chance to do so? We move down some links in the food chain, in the eyes of that bear. **** that.

Bears usually AVOID humans - if one is so aggressive that it'll KILL one of us, take that thing out.

I am quite skeptical that a bear, or any wild animal, would attack a human merely because it had in the past attacked a human in a backcountry setting where the animal presumably was startled and felt that it or its cubs were threatened. It would be a completely different story if an animal that lived in a more densely populated region displayed predatory behavior, but insofar as media reports indicate, that was not the case here. Based on the limited facts reported, the cyclist unwittingly encroached on the bear's turf, and the bear did what bears instinctively do when threatened. These things can happen if you spend enough time in the woods.

adub
07-01-2016, 04:52 PM
Atleast that one gave up pretty fast. This one would kill me from the scare even if it didn't actually catch me .)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlAZys_ZMic

Im thinking that vid is fake.

buldogge
07-01-2016, 10:54 PM
Trust me...I agree completely.

-Mark

I understand the fear and definitely not judging, but that is a shame. Visit to GNP is on the schedule for me and the fam (hopefully this year. First visit.), and will be going to Yellowstone next month. Fatal bear attacks claim less than 1 person per year, on the average. Considering I ride on the road, which a quick search reports 113 deaths in 2014 alone, I feel pretty safe out on the trails. I also drive out on the road, which is even at a higher risk. As my friend at BLM once told me, you've got a higher chance of being killed by a vending machine (which has claimed an average of 2 people per year since the 70's).

Either way, be safe out there. But also enjoy the beauty that surrounds us. :) Happy 4th.

oldpotatoe
07-02-2016, 08:05 AM

Yup, heaven forbid you'd let that mom bear protect her cubs..:eek:

Sierra
07-02-2016, 08:11 AM
Our bears here in California are very friendly. I have one that comes out of the forest and has coffee with me every morning.

Kirk007
07-02-2016, 11:14 AM

A few reasons why not.

1. Listed as endangered species at threat of blinking out.

2. Why would a bear "attack a human if it had the chance to do so"? Nothing in its biology supports this unless it is a very hungry bear without other sources of food, which is not likely the case for a Glacier Park bear.

3. Interesting study, I'll try to dig up the link, of hikers in Glacier who they tracked with GPS and compared to signals from collared grizz in the area. In a multiple day hike, there was rarely anytime they were more than a few hundred yards from a bear, yet they never saw one.

In sum, they're not lurking in the woods thinking hum, I think I'll go kill a human today.

Dead Man
07-02-2016, 12:02 PM
A few reasons why not.

1. Listed as endangered species at threat of blinking out.

2. Why would a bear "attack a human if it had the chance to do so"? Nothing in its biology supports this unless it is a very hungry bear without other sources of food, which is not likely the case for a Glacier Park bear.

3. Interesting study, I'll try to dig up the link, of hikers in Glacier who they tracked with GPS and compared to signals from collared grizz in the area. In a multiple day hike, there was rarely anytime they were more than a few hundred yards from a bear, yet they never saw one.

In sum, they're not lurking in the woods thinking hum, I think I'll go kill a human today.

Points 2 and 3 support my argument

djg21
07-02-2016, 02:23 PM
Points 2 and 3 support my argument

:confused: no they don't. To the contrary, they suggest that your concerns are unfounded.

I have this funny feeling that you might be trying to make this an analogy regarding gun control, i.e., we should not try to control guns just because one human is killed by a gun. If this is where you're going, please DON'T.

Dead Man
07-02-2016, 02:55 PM
:confused: no they don't. To the contrary, they suggest that your concerns are unfounded.
No... they both suggest that killing people is not normal behavior for the bear... so when it happens, it's a unique bear/situation. I'm not suggesting we kill bears in general, or kill bears around where people hike - I'm suggesting we kill those rare few who kill people.

I have this funny feeling that you might be trying to make this an analogy regarding gun control, i.e., we should not try to control guns just because one human is killed by a gun. If this is where you're going, please DON'T.

Not even gonna try to wrap my mind around this..

djg21
07-02-2016, 03:04 PM
No... they both suggest that killing people is not normal behavior for the bear... so when it happens, it's a unique bear/situation. I'm not suggesting we kill bears in general, or kill bears around where people hike - I'm suggesting we kill those rare few who kill people.

Not even gonna try to wrap my mind around this..

My fears are allayed.

If a bear had displayed predatory behavior directed towards humans, that's one thing and it might be prudent to eliminate the bear. Insofar as I know, that wasn't the case here. The news reports indicate that the body of the cyclist was recovered, and there is nothing to suggest that the bear fed on the cyclist. Rather, it seems that the cyclist, by virtue of being on a relatively fast moving bicycle, was able to quickly approach and startle the bear and the bear reacted defensively. This was in a known bear habitat, and this was an unfortunate encounter.