PDA

View Full Version : Twin Six Standard Rando Impressions

tctyres
06-30-2016, 08:01 AM
Several of you guys have a T-6 Standard Rando, and I'm wondering what your impressions are. What do you like or not like about it? If you went a different way, why did you do that?

There are several reviews of it, but not a lot in terms of impressions from buyers.

TIA!

(also, no trash talking the supposedly creaky pf bb ... people could hate on that all day.)

https://www.twinsix.com/collections/bikes-bits/products/standard-rando-complete-green?variant=9302578243

http://ridinggravel.com/gravel-news/at-the-finish-twin-six-standard-rando/
http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/reviews/tested-the-twin-six-standard-rando
http://theradavist.com/2014/09/twin-sixs-new-standard-rando-frameset/

invertedhog
06-30-2016, 01:17 PM
Saw one of these on a ride the other day. Rider was over the moon for it but had only been on it for a couple of weeks. Didn't say anything about the BB creaking! :)
Is a great looking bike any way you slice it.

gavingould
07-04-2016, 07:37 PM
it's a versatile bike. not exactly light, but not bad for steel with a steel fork. you can certainly drop some weight with a carbon fork.
i've found it to be a quite solid base as a commuter that isn't slow, and can easily sub in for road/gravel/cx backup duty.

eBAUMANN
07-04-2016, 08:21 PM
it's a versatile bike. not exactly light, but not bad for steel with a steel fork. you can certainly drop some weight with a carbon fork.
i've found it to be a quite solid base as a commuter that isn't slow, and can easily sub in for road/gravel/cx backup duty.

My thoughts exactly. I owned one for a few months. Id say it's only drawback is the weight, but that's a drawback for all disc frames in general (compared to their rim brake counterparts).

tctyres
07-07-2016, 07:13 AM
Interesting. Thanks, guys. I appreciate the feedback.

ColonelJLloyd
07-07-2016, 09:39 AM

Pretty limited on the options with the 1 1/8 straight head tube. But, the Ritchey WCS would be pretty nice.

p nut
07-07-2016, 10:16 AM
I almost bought one. It's got good geo (for me), price is right, and I like that green paint job. I ended up with a Warbird, because I was able to get a better deal, especially with a stock carbon fork. It also seemed to be a better fit for my intended usage (mixed terrain cycling with 70% asphalt). If I were looking for more of a commuter/dedicated touring bike, the Rando would be high on the list.

blantonator
07-07-2016, 12:04 PM
Anyone riding the TI Rando? Im about to order one.

gomango
07-07-2016, 10:49 PM
Anyone riding the TI Rando? Im about to order one.

No, but thinking about it.

Report please, after a 1,000 miles. :)

palincss
07-08-2016, 05:53 AM

What would be the point of doing that, if you intended to use it as a commuter?

ColonelJLloyd
07-08-2016, 09:20 AM
What would be the point of doing that, if you intended to use it as a commuter?

So riding the bike to work means you should give no thought to the weight or performance of the bike and your enjoyment riding it? That's a pretty daft idea.

eBAUMANN
07-08-2016, 10:26 AM
So riding the bike to work means you should give no thought to the weight or performance of the bike and your enjoyment riding it? That's a pretty daft idea.

Well said.

My commuter ends up being the bike I put the most miles on over the course of the year, may as well be able to get the most from it.

I have had "proper" commuters from time to time over the years and always end up going back to riding a re-purposed "race" frame, because its just more fun.

palincss
07-08-2016, 12:24 PM

Please - I rode to work for over 30 years prior to retiring. "Performance" on a commuter bike has everything to do with comfort, reliability, stability load carrying, and little to do with speed. Most commuters carry their clothes, and if you've got a couple of panniers and a load of ten or more pounds, what earthly significance does the difference in weight between a steel and a carbon fork have?

Thinking a commute bears any resemblance to a race is a pretty daft idea.

ColonelJLloyd
07-08-2016, 12:27 PM
Thinking a commute bears any resemblance to a race is a pretty daft idea.

Who said that? Methinks you're pretty ignorant of modern carbon forks. You probably shouldn't let other folks' commuting habits rile you up.

Regardless, the topic of conversation is a specific frame. No one has said it's pigeon-holed as a commuter.

dancinkozmo
07-08-2016, 01:24 PM

...sounds like youre making up an excuse to justify buying more bike chit

eBAUMANN
07-08-2016, 01:50 PM
Sure you could have a lumbering fendered/racked/no-carbon commuter bike that does ONLY that well...but why not build a bike that can be a commuter...or a cx/all-road/gravel/WHATEVER bike...or a even a road bike with a swap to skinny tires?

Being weight-concious would allow you to do more with the bike once those panniers come off and/if the lycra comes on, thats all.

ik2280
07-08-2016, 04:24 PM
If you want to commute on a steel bike with a steel fork, fenders, and racks, that's cool. If you want to commute on a carbon race bike, that's also cool. Different strokes for different folks.

tctyres
07-08-2016, 04:53 PM
Well, I do not like it when threads like this decay. I think that there's a point to having a light commuter. One way, my commute is 16 miles, and racier geometries tend to be faster and more fun for me. I gave up on panniers for commuting a long time ago. I use one of the Osprey backpacks for cycling now.

The most miles over the past two years have been taken by my 1985 pink Shogun triple triangle, and my late 90s Litespeed sled. I prefer either of those to my touring bike, but lately I've been riding a 2008 Poprad, and that thing is fun as get out, partially due to the fat 38mm tires on there. I also like to do a 35 mile loop on the way home 2-3 times a week, so a fun bike that is sort of speedy is great.

The fat tires got me wondering what else is out there. I'm going to do a purge of what I've got, getting it down to 4 bikes (plus a vintage Ciocc). I'm wondering if I can get down to 3.

Thanks to all who have posted on topic. I appreciate it.

gavingould
07-08-2016, 07:24 PM
clearly some dude doesn't know how many wheelies are needed on my commute...

dougefresh
11-27-2016, 07:08 PM
I'm having a hard time resisting that new pink colorway with matching fenders.

gomango
11-27-2016, 07:21 PM
My wife is next in line for a new bike around here.

We flipped a coin today between an orange Rando 650b and the Diamondback Haanjo EXP.

The Rando 650b won.

Time to start collecting parts. :)

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0883/2790/products/Rando_Orange_4_b67aa168-273b-4cb0-9179-323f4a9af570_2048x2048.jpg?v=1479853123

559Rando
11-30-2016, 05:11 PM
That Twin Six on WTBs is HAWT!

p nut
11-30-2016, 05:14 PM
How fat can you go on 650b's?

sg8357
11-30-2016, 06:25 PM

Nice commuter, "I laugh at your puny potholes!"

gomango
11-30-2016, 06:56 PM

The one I rode had enough room for the 47s.

I'll check it and measure this weekend.

gomango
11-30-2016, 06:58 PM

The one I rode had ample room for the 47s.

Sans fenders though, so I would be interested to see the clearance before I'd go with the matching fenders.

I'll check it and measure this weekend.

thirdgenbird
11-30-2016, 07:15 PM

Yep. Make mine pink and build it with Chorus.

ColonelJLloyd
11-30-2016, 07:31 PM

Based on that pic, 47mm is too big for anything but a flat profile fender (like Honjo H95). Add gravel to the mix and no dice. Those do look like wide rims. IME, a 42mm 650b tire will end up 44-45mm setup tubeless on i26 rims.