PDA

View Full Version : Sagan to Argon-Bora-whatever-they're-called

ANAO
06-30-2016, 07:50 AM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/report-bora-argon-18-to-sign-sagan-and-add-hansgrohe-as-naming-rights-sponsor/

MattTuck
06-30-2016, 07:58 AM
So, Argon are out, and Specialized in?

Also, Hansgrohe faucets, FTW. With Sagan's flowing locks, I'm sure he'll be in some shower commercials... haha, cleaning up after Paris-Roubaix. Cycling sponsorships are so weird.

kramnnim
06-30-2016, 09:11 AM
Carlton Kirby will be pleased, no more angry tweets about his mispronunciation of "Argon".

Hard to believe Sagan will be going to such a minor team, though.

MattTuck
06-30-2016, 09:16 AM
Carlton Kirby will be pleased, no more angry tweets about his mispronunciation of "Argon".

As I understood it, Specialized really wanted to keep him in the family. And they were ending their relationship with Astana, and Tinkoff is probably done, leaving only Etixx. And who knows if there is room (financially or ego) on that team for Sagan.

They probably looked at which teams were due to renegotiate bike sponsorship this year, and figured they could build a team around Sagan easier than at Etixx.

I agree though, you'd think one of the bigger teams would have picked him up.

FlashUNC
06-30-2016, 09:17 AM
Looks like they want to finish second a bunch.

bobswire
06-30-2016, 09:17 AM

It won't be minor much longer. :D Peter Sagan, his brother Juraj, Polish champion Rafa Majka, Michael Kolar and Erik Baska.

nooneline
06-30-2016, 09:18 AM

Well - this is the kind of signing (sponsorship and rider) that makes a minor team not so minor. Look for them to get WorldTour status for 2017 if this article pans out.

ANAO
06-30-2016, 09:18 AM
As I understood it, Specialized really wanted to keep him in the family. And they were ending their relationship with Astana, and Tinkoff is probably done, leaving only Etixx. And who knows if there is room (financially or ego) on that team for Sagan.

They probably looked at which teams were due to renegotiate bike sponsorship this year, and figured they could build a team around Sagan easier than at Etixx.

I agree though, you'd think one of the bigger teams would have picked him up.

Right. Build a new squad around him. He's still plenty young for that.

berserk87
06-30-2016, 09:19 AM
That's a shocker. I never would have thought that this move would take place. Was he headed to Astana before?

The more I think about it, I'm sure he would be apt to move to a team that offers:

1. Money (via salary or sponsorship)
2. A preeminent role for him as the star
3. A contract to his brother

invertedhog
06-30-2016, 11:18 AM
Wowzers. Interesting to see this stuff play out this way... Sagan seems very strong and as pointed out there are some other strong riders in that group... could be a very strong team and they sound like World Tour material for sure.

jmoore
06-30-2016, 12:20 PM
More black kits and red bikes = yawn

sandyrs
06-30-2016, 12:34 PM
lol http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bora-argon-18-sagan-is-too-big-a-rider-for-us/

“At this point Sagan is too big a name for our team. From what I’ve heard it’s huge money. For sure it would be a dream to have rider like him in the team but we’ll see. From the beginning of August we can talk about riders but at the moment he’s too big of a name. We’ve a serious budget but we’re not sponsored by a Russian company like Tinkoff.”

MattTuck
06-30-2016, 12:48 PM
Won't matter because John Degenkolb will be back next year, anyway :)

And Sep Vanmarcke will finally have his breakthrough monument win...