PDA

View Full Version : Italy in less than a month

Tickdoc
06-29-2016, 07:33 PM
No bike, it's for our 20th.

Milan, Florence, Venice.

Any tips?

Bike shops worth a visit? Rapha stores? I imagine most of out time will be in churches and museums, (and gorging) but would love to see some cycling related stuff while I'm there. It's a pretty short trip, so any highlights or must sees?

rccardr
06-29-2016, 08:29 PM
Bergamo = Ciclicorsa Classico, Pelizzoli, Ciocc, De Bernardi, others.

Sierra
06-29-2016, 08:33 PM
Not too far away from Venice is the Vatican . . . er, I mean, Vicenza--you know, where the Campagnolo factory is situated.

Tickdoc
06-29-2016, 08:53 PM
Bergamo = Ciclicorsa Classico, Pelizzoli, Ciocc, De Bernardi, others.

Bergamo is a dream, but I don't think I can squeeze it in this time :-(

Tickdoc
06-29-2016, 08:54 PM
Not too far away from Venice is the Vatican . . . er, I mean, Vicenza--you know, where the Campagnolo factory is situated.

Worth a visit?

Are there any decent boutique stores in Milan worth a trip?

Mr. Pink
06-29-2016, 08:56 PM
The giant cemetery in Milan, the Cimitero Monumentale. Trust me, you have never seen anything like it. Definitely climb to the rooftop of the Milan cathedral, it's worth it, and you'll probably need the workout after lunch.
Vivoli in Florence for gelato. The best. Go there after your Uffizi visit. Do not miss the Uffizi. Buy tickets ahead of time. For a more sublime experience in Florence, San Marco.
Venice in the summer is tough. Half of China will be in your way. Try to stay on the back streets, there's a lot back there, although everyone should see St Marks basilica (before it sinks into the sea) and Doges Palace once in ther life.

gomango
06-29-2016, 08:58 PM
Worth a visit?

Are there any decent boutique stores in Milan worth a trip?

De Rosa factory- See if you can visit them in Cusano Milanino.

Sierra
06-29-2016, 09:02 PM
Seriously--Italy contains an embarrassment of riches and it is hard to know where to begin to advise you, being that so much depends on your own, personal interests.

When in Venice, I would suggest that you forego taking any vaporetti (water taxis; however gondole are cool! Go on--splurge!) whatsoever. You can get completely around Venice simply by walking up and down its numerous bridges. If you do this, when you get back home you will find that your calves will have doubled in size. The Piazza San Marco, at midnight as the full moon rises over the square and the band plays sweetly dolorous waltzes in the background--oh, very Romantic; and your wife will never contest a bike purchase that you choose to make for the rest of your life. ;)

Go to the Guggenheim and have a look at this fellow and shake his . . . uh, hand:

Tickdoc
06-29-2016, 09:03 PM
The giant cemetery in Milan, the Cimitero Monumentale. Trust me, you have never seen anything like it. Definitely climb to the rooftop of the Milan cathedral, it's worth it, and you'll probably need the workout after lunch.
Vivoli in Florence for gelato. The best. Go there after your Uffizi visit. Do not miss the Uffizi. Buy tickets ahead of time. For a more sublime experience in Florence, San Marco.
Venice in the summer is tough. Half of China will be in your way. Try to stay on the back streets, there's a lot back there, although everyone should see St Marks basilica (before it sinks into the sea) and Doges Palace once in ther life.

That all sounds great! Will check out tickets and the other suggestions as well.

Mr. Pink
06-29-2016, 09:11 PM
Here's something very cycling related that is doable as a day trip out of Milan. Take the train to Varenna, only about an hour, ferry over to Bellagio, and find a cabbie or some other transport to take you here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madonna_del_Ghisallo

A small church high above Lake Como dedicated to cyclists. It's gorgeous up there, trust me. Actually, it's gorgeous half of the train ride up. Como is beautiful. So, you combine both beautiful sightseeing and cycling history. Easily doable in even half a day. But, if you want to eat up there, definitely try Il Cavatappi in Varenna. The best meal we have had in Italy, and that's saying a lot. Small, only 12 seats, so reserve ahead.

texbike
06-29-2016, 09:27 PM
For me, the ONE bike stop that I would have to make being in Milan is a visit to the Vigorelli Velodrome along with a visit to the Masi workshop while you're there.

Texbike

Tickdoc
06-29-2016, 09:31 PM
For me, the ONE bike stop that I would have to make being in Milan is a visit to the Vigorelli Velodrome along with a visit to the Masi workshop while you're there.

Texbike

Just read about that..son still works there, no? Too many fun things to see. I. Red to make a list.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

texbike
06-29-2016, 09:58 PM
Just read about that..son still works there, no?

Alberto I believe. The place has to be like a shrine.

You could order your very own, custom-made REAL Masi. Can you pick me one up while you're there as well? Make mine orange with blue lettering, please. :)

Texbike

cadence90
06-29-2016, 11:28 PM
I do not think one can get inside without heavy industry contacts.

De Rosa factory- See if you can visit them in Cusano Milanino.
I think one can also visit the Colnage factory, in Cambiago (Milano).
Dario Pegoretti is in Verona. (Also the Castelvecchio Museum).
Pinarello is in Treviso, near Venice/Vicenza.
You need to email or call ahead in all cases.

In Milano, Leonardo's 'Last Supper' (Cenacolo Vinciano) definitely.
The Cathedral is nothing special. San Marco in Venice is much more worthwhile.

I am from Venice, so feel free to PM me if you would like restaurant, etc. recommendations.

Sierra
06-29-2016, 11:43 PM
I do not think one can get inside without heavy industry contacts.

I didn't. Admittedly, it helps a bit if you speak Italian. ;)

cadence90
06-29-2016, 11:55 PM
I didn't. Admittedly, it helps a bit if you speak Italian. ;)
:)
Even then, the place is like Castello Knox.

Good suggestion on the Guggenheim.

Joxster
06-30-2016, 12:41 AM
:)
Even then, the place is like Castello Knox.

Good suggestion on the Guggenheim.

And then there's the R&D section with all the new toys ;)

Joxster
06-30-2016, 12:49 AM
When at Como you can go to the villa they used in Star Wars and James Bond films. There's the Duomo in Milan, if you're not keen on heights don't go on to the roof. There are a couple of places not to miss food wise, nothing fancy I'll post them later when I remember their names. One is a pizza place and the other is a sandwich place near the side of the Duomo.

Pizzeria Spontini - three things on the menu - lasagna, pizza large or small
Luna Rossa - near La Scala all the locals eat here, speak English, reasonable prices
Luini - takeaway place near Duomo, again very popular with the locals

Look up the addresses on trip advisor :)

invertedhog
06-30-2016, 12:52 AM
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madonna_del_Ghisallo!!

Or just pop in at random bike shops, especially ones in older parts of town, bet you can stumble across some real gems tucked in dusty corners!
(At least thats the way it is in my dreams anyway)

Have fun!

maxn
06-30-2016, 02:11 AM
La Marzocco factory tour :) That's cycling related, isn't it?!

I think Formigli does tours too.

oldpotatoe
06-30-2016, 06:05 AM

Si, buy don't expect a tour. Campagnolo has been talking about a 'visitor center' for a while but I don't think it's happened yet. If you know Tom Kattus(sits in big chair at Campagnolo NA), 'you 'may' get a small tour but maybe not even then.

Sierra
06-30-2016, 08:02 AM
Si, buy don't expect a tour. Campagnolo has been talking about a 'visitor center' for a while but I don't think it's happened yet. If you know Tom Kattus(sits in big chair at Campagnolo NA), 'you 'may' get a small tour but maybe not even then.

I also keep hearing that they are supposed to be building a visitor's center but I don't know if that has happened. As I intimated a bit earlier on, I did get a tour. The circumstances were a little unusual because I happened to be in Italy not long after 9-11 happened. During that trip I received a lot of spontaneous condolences and expressions of solidarity when people would find out I was from the US. This may have been part of the equation. I do, also, speak Italian--it never hurts.

In any case, Vicenza is worth a visit even if they won't let you into the Church of Campagnolo. Go and take a tour of, or even attend a performance at, the marvelous Teatro Olimpico, which was designed by one of the greatest architects in history, Andrea Palladio.

Sierra
06-30-2016, 08:28 AM
Must not miss the Museo Fausto Coppi in Castellania, which is a little town situated between Milan and Genoa. He is buried there at the mausoleum.

tiretrax
06-30-2016, 09:16 AM
Celerini in Florence makes beautiful leather products that look like Hermes but 1/10 price, at least in 1992. :)

Do a search on Peloton magazine's site. They love It-ly.

bocarider
06-30-2016, 12:54 PM
In Milan, go to Trattoria Milanese (there are 2, so make sure you go to the right one):

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187849-d4409934-Reviews-Trattoria_Milanese-Milan_Lombardy.html

Order the following:

-Risotto Milanese
-Fried Veal Cutlet
-The radicchio thing with the melted cheese

We have been there 3 or 4 times and it's one of the best meals we've had in Italy.

Polyglot
06-30-2016, 03:41 PM
Just for information:

If you want to visit the big name bike companies like Colnago, De Rosa, Bianchi and Pinarello, you will not have any difficulty visiting their show rooms but you will be hard pressed to get a visit of the workshops. This mainly due to the fact that none of them really produce much in house any more.

Colnago's Italian production takes place in the basement of his house, across the street from his offices and showroom and mini museum. I believe a visit to the museum is worthwhile, and if you are lucky and can get by in Italian, it is is not unheard of Ernesto or his nephew or grandson (both named Alessandro) to give a quick tour. (Don't count on it though and remember that they are working.) Cambiago is readily accessible by car from Milan, but is a bit more difficult to reach by public transit.

De Rosa has ceased virtually all in-house production and this is perhaps the reason why Doriano De Rosa has set up his own production under the name Bixxis (http://bixxis.com/en/). Doriano became the heart and soul of De Rosa as his father (now 81 years old) cut back on his production. I visited his production site earlier this year and am glad I did. I know of a few people who visited Doriano and immediately placed a frame order on the spot. Seregno is readily accessible by car from Milan, but is a bit more difficult to reach by public transit.

Bianchi is located in Treviglio in the province of Bergamo not far from Milan. I believe that a visit there is not overly interesting, but a visit to the newish Bianchi café in Milan is: http://www.bianchicafecycles.it/ Not only can you see both modern and historical bikes, you can also have a snack or meal.

Pinarello is located in Treviso which is less than half an hour away by train from Venice and is worthy of a visit on its own. You won't see any production as virtually everything is produced in the Far East now. Their shipping and warehouse are located outside of the downtown core in an industrial site, but they do have a nice showroom in town.

I have been into the Campagnolo factory many times but am told that access is highly restricted now and that one should never count on getting a visit without a pre-scheduled appointment, which are apparently hard to come by. I love visiting industrial factories, and have done so throughout the world, thereby giving me sufficient insight into production machinery to understand what I am seeing, but I would expect most people would not be able to appreciate what they are seeing.

If you are interested in seeing a true craftsman at work, I would suggest a visit to Darren Crisp http://english.crisptitanium.com/contact/ who is located near Florence and/or Dario Pegoretti who is located in Verona http://www.dario-pegoretti.com/. When I went to Dario's earlier this year, I had one of the best meals of my stay just up the road from his workshop.

velotel
06-30-2016, 05:00 PM
Personally I don't see much interest in going to the factories or workshops. I mean you're in Italy, apparently the time frame is not long, bikes are bikes no matter where they're made or by whom. But italian cities, now those are something special. Hell just walking around in them, sitting at outside tables eating, drinking, looking, listening, feeling can feed you for months, years, maybe longer. And if you're talking a week trip, I'd instantly say drop one city, either Milano or Venezia, I'd say the latter, it'll be way, way too crowded. Go there in December when it's deserted, at least by tourii

I've never been to Florence but my wife loves it. Been to Sienna and that I loved to tears. Don't know Milano either but Bergamo, a city that can give you shivers of pure joy, or at least the old town. But then that's true of so many italian cities. Really, can't say it strongly enough, if time is short, cut back the cities. Live and breathe one or two. You'll leave rich.

The bike museum above Lago di Como is cool but not sure I'd go too far out of my way to get there. I think I'd rather sit on a terrace outside a restaurant/bar on the lake with a good glass of vino and just watching and listening to the world.

cadence90
06-30-2016, 05:33 PM
I agree completely with velotel. I didn't realize this trip will only be for one week.

In this case, definitely drop Venice. It is awful in July, humid, extremely over-crowded, completely exhausting for all the wrong reasons. It is much better in late fall/winter.

I guess Milano is the arrival/departure city? Because it is not also the best destination, although the lakes above (Iseo, Como, etc.) are beautiful.

If you are in fact flying in/out of Milano, I think that Milano > Parma > Cinque Terre? > Pisa > Florence > San Gimignano > Siena > Arezzo > Bologna > Milano is a more-than-enough loop. Something like that. Already you will have to drop some of those places.

Are you renting/driving, or only travelling by train?

Have fun!

echelon_john
06-30-2016, 05:45 PM
Agree on dropping Venice. Just too much of a pain in the ass/hot/crowded in the summer to get that in along with Florence & Milan and whatever else you like...I would also suggest dropping San Gimignano. It's very pretty, but brutally hot in the summer and to me, Siena is much more interesting.

In Florence, go to the Cibreo lunch restaurant for lunch. Across the street from the 'real' Cibreo. First-come, first served limited seating; get there early and wait 20-30 minutes until they open. Great food, the guy's a character, and much less fussy than dinner there.

Da Delfina is just outside Florence and is definitely hyped/on the map. The food is good, but what's really cool is the location, overlooking a Medici hunting lodge.

Get advance tickets for the Uffizi; just make sure you're on the official site:
https://webshop.b-ticket.com/webshop/webticket/eventlist?tokenName=CSRFTOKEN&languages=it&languages=en&production=1

Depending on your dates, you could catch a Puccini opera at the Puccini festival in Torre del Lago. We're seeing Tosca on the 15th of July; several shows running through about the 2nd week in August.

Take a boat from Viareggio to the Cinque Terre and hike a bit, eat a bit, swim a bit, and just take it in. MUCH easier than driving down to Monterosso and very scenic arriving by boat. You can also take the water taxi between the villages. Very picturesque, and (relatively) cool on the water.

I would also add that Lucca is worth a visit. Rent bikes and toodle around the wall, buy some kit at Poli, and there are some terrific food options I can give you if you're interested. It's a touristy city, but not crowded like Florence will be. Plus Mario Cipollini lives there. How cool is that?

Good luck!

Tickdoc
06-30-2016, 06:03 PM
Thanks for all the tips, greatly appreciated.

Yes, short trip means 2-3 days only in each town....we fly into Milan, then train to Florence, then train/water taxi to Venice, then back home.

Hotels and transfer travel is already setup by my travel agent.

I'm hoping to find some fun stuff just walking around each hotel, but I haven't looked past the website for each of them to get their general feel.

I'm hoping for an all family trip next year where we rent a house and stay longer. That trip will allow more freedom to explore, and maybe even ride. This one is just a quick getaway to celebrate twenty years of tolerating each other :)

cadence90
06-30-2016, 06:19 PM
If you will definitely be in Venice, one nice escape from the summer crush is to go to one of islands.
I would avoid the tourist traps of Murano and Burano, but would recommend a morning + lunch on Torcello.

There are 2 great churches (Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta and the Church of Santa Fosca) and a nice small museum there. Lunch at Locanda Cipriani. Not inexpensive, but the atmosphere is very peaceful, with a nice garden. Torcello is accessible either by vaporetto or by taxi.

jh_on_the_cape
06-30-2016, 09:38 PM
Rome.

Sierra
06-30-2016, 11:08 PM
Rome.

+1

There's no place like Rome.

:beer:

cadence90
07-01-2016, 04:52 AM
Rome.

+1

There's no place like Rome.

:beer:

In the dead, suffocating heat of July, really?
There are many better places in that season.

Sierra
07-01-2016, 07:37 AM
In the dead, suffocating heat of July, really?
There are many better places in that season.

July is not ideal for a number of reasons. But, yes, Rome. I'm sure I don't have to outline why. In any case, it will be hard to escape the heat just about anywhere in Italy in that month (yes, yes, we know--Cinque Terre; Rimini, etc).

Venice in July is far from ideal as well! Still, if this is your first trip to Italy and you don't know if you will ever be back? Do the math.

Gblumenstock
07-01-2016, 07:54 AM
You can't go far too wrong in Italy. Keep your trip as flexible as you can to dwell longer in places that you love. Have a great trip and congrats on 20 years together.

GB

Mr. Pink
07-01-2016, 08:02 AM
Just thought of something. When in Venice, wake up very early to get a head start on the sightseeing before the day trippers from the mainland arrive and the cruise ships disgorge their masses after breakfast, then take a nap, and go out after dark after they all leave.

I have found Rick Steves to be a great source for travel advice in Italy. I know, not the hippest dude around, but, he has never steered me in the wrong direction. And he speaks to my wallet.

Tickdoc
07-01-2016, 08:28 AM
congrats on 20 years together.

GB

thanks!

Tickdoc
07-01-2016, 08:35 AM
Just thought of something. When in Venice, wake up very early to get a head start on the sightseeing before the day trippers from the mainland arrive and the cruise ships disgorge their masses after breakfast, then take a nap, and go out after dark after they all leave.

I have found Rick Steves to be a great source for travel advice in Italy. I know, not the hippest dude around, but, he has never steered me in the wrong direction. And he speaks to my wallet.

Good thought, and I will do that, but not my princess. She likes to sleep well past breakfast. I've usually been up, photographed the sunrise, ate, read the paper/news, done some sightseeing, done a little shopping, get a ride in(if I have my bike) showered, dressed,....at about the same time she is rousing. And all that happens before her beauty regimen to step out the door, which is another hour or two at best!

Makes me wonder how we've made twenty years sometimes.

I have been looking at Rick's website for tips and stuff. He can be a dork, but is very genuine and has the travel thing down pat.

AngryScientist
07-01-2016, 08:35 AM
i know we all like bikes, but as has been mentioned, i think it would be a waste of precious time to dedicate any real amount of effort to see bike related stuff. campagnolo factory - honestly, when in Italia - who cares how they make EPS levers - so much more to see, do and eat over there.

i do think that if i were in italy for the first time, i would make a goal of getting a jersey from literally any bike shop i stumbled across just to have it as a memory of the trip.

have a great time, and congratulations on 20 years in a world that so few couples make it anywhere near that far. :beer:

AngryScientist
07-01-2016, 08:38 AM
Good thought, and I will do that, but not my princess. She likes to sleep well past breakfast. I've usually been up, photographed the sunrise, ate, read the paper/news, done some sightseeing, done a little shopping, get a ride in(if I have my bike) showered, dressed,....at about the same time she is rousing. And all that happens before her beauty regimen to step out the door, which is another hour or two at best!

i can understand when people are set in their ways, but the above is really the absolute wrong way to do things when travelling and time is precious. the early morning hours are invaluable to see things before the crowds and maximize what you can see and do. especially if the heat of the day is going to be a factor.

maybe talk to her ahead of time and try and curb that habit for the trip. europe is worth waking up early for!

Sierra
07-01-2016, 08:47 AM
i can understand when people are set in their ways, but the above is really the absolute wrong way to do things when travelling and time is precious. the early morning hours are invaluable to see things before the crowds and maximize what you can see and do. especially if the heat of the day is going to be a factor.

maybe talk to her ahead of time and try and curb that habit for the trip. europe is worth waking up early for!

++++1

Pack lite
Pack lite
Pack lite

or else . . .

Tickdoc
07-01-2016, 08:49 AM

I'll let you tell her that. I absolutely love my wife, but she is a bear to travel with. I have to drug her for the flight do to fear, then endure complaints of every hotel room we encounter. Add the cultural and attitude differences of Europe and a European travel caution for this summer and ....well, maybe we should've gone to Hawaii after all:eek:

Sierra
07-01-2016, 09:01 AM
I'll let you tell her that. I absolutely love my wife, but she is a bear to travel with. I have to drug her for the flight do to fear, then endure complaints of every hotel room we encounter. Add the cultural and attitude differences of Europe and a European travel caution for this summer and ....well, maybe we should've gone to Hawaii after all:eek:

Hmmm . . . maybe Hawaii would be a better choice for you both? You say you have been married 20 years. You do want to make it to 21? Think about it.

Tickdoc
07-01-2016, 09:12 AM
Hmmm . . . maybe Hawaii would be a better choice for you both? You say you have been married 20 years. You do want to make it to 21? Think about it.

I am not going to live my life based on fears. I come form a world travel-pro family and sometimes the more dangerous places are the more fun places. My mother was a stewardess and my father was a great traveller. Antarctica, Cuba, Bosnia herzegovina, Post-Commy Russia right after the fall, Carribbean at the height of hurricane season, you name it, he went there. (and that's where the better deals are:)

Risk is everywhere.

CampyorBust
07-01-2016, 10:45 AM
This should be quite a trip! Got me looking through my old Italy photos when I was blessed enough to study there.

How bout a mini quest? Most of these sculptures and points of interest will be in the destinations you have already mentioned. See if you can find four. The location of the sketch is a doozy and one must surely be lost to find it, major bonus points if you can locate it. If this is stoopid…please forgiveness. :)

Oh a few musts… Cinque Terre (hike between the villages), San Gimignano and of course Madonna del Ghisallo (I never made it but I was not exactly a cycle freak at the time).

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/PedalPusher33/DSC02933_zps5lhcckg9.jpg

makoti
07-01-2016, 01:37 PM
Haven't read the entire thread, so I may be repeating what's been said...
If you're going to those three, you'll be very happy with your trip. My suggestion, if plans are still in flux but those are your choices, would be to go to Milan, then stay in Umbria and do day trips to Florence, Pisa, and the surrounding area. Driving is very easy, and from the center of the country, you can get to most of the places you want to see and you'll stumble onto wonderful little towns. Venice might be a stretch & will take an overnight. Umbria is every bit as pretty as Tuscany & cheaper.
Go to a few of the hill towns, don't just hit the big cities. All the charm of Italy is in those towns, IMO.
When hungry, walk down a street, come across a restaurant, go in & eat. That's as much planning as you should put into food. I've never had a bad meal in a local restaurant. Basic rule: If you've seen it here, don't eat in it there.
If this may be the only time you get there, go to Rome, even if just for the day. You can see most of the "must see's" in a day. It's very pretty at night. Trevi Fountain is always crowded, but I like it. I used to be a regular at a pizza place at the Fountain. Man, I miss that.
Bike shops are a very local affair in Italy. Small, and dark quite often. Most people would be put off by that, but if you're on this board you'll drink it in. Lots of local team jerseys to be had. I bought a Colnago from Romeo Bike Shop in Rome. It was an interesting experience. I thought they closed down until I saw a woman with one of their shop jerseys last November. She said she just got it, so I'd say they are there.
No matter where you go in Italy, believe what you hear about the crime. Pickpockets are everywhere & NOT shy. Just be aware & you'll be better than most tourists, so less of a target.
And eat Gelati. Breakfast, lunch, dinner. It's heaven.
Who are you flying over?

Tickdoc
07-01-2016, 02:02 PM
This should be quite a trip! Got me looking through my old Italy photos when I was blessed enough to study there.

How bout a mini quest? Most of these sculptures and points of interest will be in the destinations you have already mentioned. See if you can find four. The location of the sketch is a doozy and one must surely be lost to find it, major bonus points if you can locate it. If this is stoopid…please forgiveness. :)

Oh a few musts… Cinque Terre (hike between the villages), San Gimignano and of course Madonna del Ghisallo (I never made it but I was not exactly a cycle freak at the time).

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/PedalPusher33/DSC02933_zps5lhcckg9.jpg

Not stupid, no apologies necessary:-)

Tickdoc
07-01-2016, 02:05 PM
Thank you makoti. My heritage is Umbrian, and I'm hoping to go there and. Is it my family's hometown next trip when I'll have more time to explore. (Fabriano)

Am actually hoping to rent our fellow pl ers house in Tuscany, just couldn't pull it off this year.

Will probably hit Rome that trip too.

So looking forward to this trip.

makoti
07-01-2016, 03:58 PM
Thank you makoti. My heritage is Umbrian, and I'm hoping to go there and. Is it my family's hometown next trip when I'll have more time to explore. (Fabriano)

Am actually hoping to rent our fellow pl ers house in Tuscany, just couldn't pull it off this year.

Will probably hit Rome that trip too.

So looking forward to this trip.

Remember, pics or it didn't happen. ;)

waltere
07-01-2016, 06:54 PM
In Firenze:

David is a must & I would recommend doing the steps to the top of the Duomo.
Picking up an Italian jersey is a really cool idea too!

Tickdoc
07-01-2016, 07:03 PM
In Firenze:

David is a must & I would recommend doing the steps to the top of the Duomo.
Picking up an Italian jersey is a really cool idea too!

Yes, jerseys would make a cool souvenir...and caps. Caps I'll actually wear, and they are easy to pack.

Tickdoc
07-21-2016, 11:49 AM
Such much to do and so little time. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Landed in Venice today for the last leg of our trip and this is the view out our hotel room. Damn near made me weep.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/72AAD631-0442-4F7E-9685-51EF03FFF564_zpslidgelbb.jpg

I wasn't expecting to like Venice so much!

Most of my pics are on my other camera but will have to wait until home to post and add those to a shareable format.

Bicycles? Nada. Unless you like crappy old city cruisers, and most of those were in Florence. I didn't come across any stores selling bikes and or bike stuff, but that is ok because we are having a blast just soaking up the atmosphere, food, and wine.

echelon_john
07-21-2016, 12:37 PM
Beautiful! Enjoy. Glad your trip has been a success.

Such much to do and so little time. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Landed in Venice today for the last leg of our trip and this is the view out our hotel room. Damn near made me weep.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/72AAD631-0442-4F7E-9685-51EF03FFF564_zpslidgelbb.jpg

I wasn't expecting to like Venice so much!

Most of my pics are on my other camera but will have to wait until home to post and add those to a shareable format.

Bicycles? Nada. Unless you like crappy old city cruisers, and most of those were in Florence. I didn't come across any stores selling bikes and or bike stuff, but that is ok because we are having a blast just soaking up the atmosphere, food, and wine.

Avincent52
07-21-2016, 01:41 PM
Venice is amazing.
Went there last summer. Astonishing.

Do this. It was unbelievable.
http://rowvenice.org/

Ciavete
07-21-2016, 04:11 PM
For classic shoes & clothing check out:http://www.dettopietro.com/. Nice people. When I visited their shop last year they spoke of their hopes to resurrect a classic brand.

Speaking of classic brands, handbuilt-in-Italy by De Rosa's are now found in Seregno, as has been noted previously. Doriano & his daughter Martina are wonderful people.

Prego!

Tickdoc
07-24-2016, 06:15 PM
Such a fun and short trip....So many sights for just a week, here are just a few highlights from Venice:

Sunset cruise on a water taxi:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/Italy%202016/IMG_4455_zpseioqfpbr.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/Italy%202016/IMG_0811_zpsn2o0qssk.jpg

Near the jewish Ghetto:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/Italy%202016/IMG_0790_zps9uywg3w0.jpg

Panorama out our window:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/Italy%202016/IMG_4357_zpsltrlfwb8.jpg

Obligatory Venice window shot:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/Italy%202016/IMG_0736_zpsiwxwo59l.jpg

museo de something or other:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/Italy%202016/IMG_0699_zpsv0to9ebo.jpg

TomNY
07-25-2016, 12:41 PM
Good luck on your upcoming trip to Italy. I got a lot of helpful tips from Paceline post. I compiled them city by city then reviewed them before we started the day.

I rented simple city bikes in Firenze from Alinari's rental shop. A few minutes walk from central square, or bus/train stop. Cycle to Michelangelo's Piazza overlooking the city. You can cover a lot of ground at an easy pace.

I also rented a 125cc scooter for 3 day trip out of the city to Volterra. The Italy is not a good place to learn how to ride a motorcycle no matter the size. But if you know what you are doing, the access to Tuscany from Florence is easy and fantastic.

Venice street food, casual dining places are fantastic. We had a brunch sandwich of tuna w minced olives, washed down w presecco. 48 hour boat pass aloows you to get on and off boats the service the canals.

We also took a twilight bike tour of Rome which was fantastic.

Pickpockets / Selfie Stick salesman, trinkets are everywhere. Be polite but firm w "Gratzie no". My GF got tangled up w/ a persistent selfie stick gypsy in Florence which quickly escalated to me separating his grip on her wrist. He invited me to fight in a nearby alley. "Gratzie no". They are reported to carry knives....I had my wallet in my front pocket w a safety pin fastening my pocket shut.

Meals, we split antipasto, pasta course, second. Every restaurant seemed prepared for this and plenty of food. Wine by the carafe is VG to OK.

We found supermarket chain "COOP" which has fresh food, wine etc. If you are not eating prosciutto and cheese now, you will! We had a VG package from store "Lambia".

Sorry to say I didn't do any performance type cycling, but the city bike rides and Scooter days were great.

Have a great trip!