PDA

View Full Version : Educate me on road pedals

sparky33
06-29-2016, 12:49 PM
I decided to get proper road shoes and pedals. What pedals do I get?

For the last decade and some, I've used mtb (eggbeater, candy) pedals on my bikes since walkability and compatibility was a priority for my mostly non-roadie riding. More recently, I'm riding mostly on the road with a good roadie crowd, and I'm game for proper footing. Sticking with Specialized shoes because they work with my feet. I know nothing about road pedals.

The LBS shows Shimano and Look pedals - they can order others...looking at nicer stuff (Ultegra+ or the equivalent.)

What pedals do I get and why?

Seeking knowledge and opinion. ;)

AngryScientist
06-29-2016, 12:52 PM
you can screw around playing with other pedals, or you can get the best road pedal system on the market: SPD-SL. Dura-ace level.

druptight
06-29-2016, 12:53 PM
If you're hell bend on road, just pick up a pair of 105/ultegra SPD-SL pedals and you can't go wrong.

If you want the best of both worlds (walkability, support of a "road" pedal) you also can't beat the A600 pedal. Ultegra level, road pedal like platform size but allows you to keep using your MTB shoes.

https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-PD-A600-Pedals-SH-51-Cleats/dp/B003N3RUFY

They're amazing, IMO. I've got them on my commuter and road pedals/shoes on my "road bike" and couldn't differentiate one from the other. Just get a good pair of MTB shoes with nice carbon soles and use them on all your bikes with pedals to suit your riding.

guido
06-29-2016, 12:54 PM
Agree on Dura Ace SPD-SL but I prefer the float of the Ultegra level yellow cleats...

If you are going to stay with SPD recessed cleat, I say go with the 9000 level dual sided pedal instead of the A600.

jtakeda
06-29-2016, 12:59 PM
Never used spd sl so I can't comment there.

But I really like look keo system.

Sierra
06-29-2016, 01:00 PM
if you're hell bend on road, just pick up a pair of 105/ultegra spd-sl pedals and you can't go wrong.

If you want the best of both worlds (walkability, support of a "road" pedal) you also can't beat the a600 pedal. Ultegra level, road pedal like platform size but allows you to keep using your mtb shoes.

https://www.amazon.com/shimano-pd-a600-pedals-sh-51-cleats/dp/b003n3rufy

they're amazing, imo. I've got them on my commuter and road pedals/shoes on my "road bike" and couldn't differentiate one from the other. Just get a good pair of mtb shoes with nice carbon soles and use them on all your bikes with pedals to suit your riding.

+1

ColonelJLloyd
06-29-2016, 01:02 PM
If you want the best of both worlds (walkability, support of a "road" pedal) you also can't beat the A600 pedal. Ultegra level, road pedal like platform size but allows you to keep using your MTB shoes.

https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-PD-A600-Pedals-SH-51-Cleats/dp/B003N3RUFY

They're amazing, IMO. I've got them on my commuter and road pedals/shoes on my "road bike" and couldn't differentiate one from the other. Just get a good pair of MTB shoes with nice carbon soles and use them on all your bikes with pedals to suit your riding.

I'm also a A600 fan (and A520). That said, when I do group rides the majority of folks are using SPD-SL so I assume there's something to them.

AngryScientist
06-29-2016, 01:03 PM
Never used spd sl so I can't comment there.

spd-sl takes all the good features of the LOOK system and throws out the bad. better cleats, better durability, no squeaks

sparky33
06-29-2016, 01:03 PM
Agree on Dura Ace SPD-SL but I prefer the float of the Ultegra level yellow cleats...

If you are going to stay with SPD recessed cleat, I say go with the 9000 level dual sided pedal instead of the A600.

Going with proper road shoes & pedals on the road bike (other bikes keep mtb recessed shoes & dual-sided pedals).

So you mean to have Dura Ace PD-9000 SPD-SL with 6degree Ultegra cleats? The PD-9000 says it allows +-1, but can I change that via different cleats...
....really, I'm a total idiot on this topic.

sparky33
06-29-2016, 01:05 PM

What do you like about it?

benb
06-29-2016, 01:18 PM
The one negative of SPD-SL is that it can limit cleat placement unless you choose your shoes wisely. MTB pedals allow different cleat positions.. on average they seem to bias towards more aft cleat positions.

I have a pair of the SPD A600s right now. I have Ultegra SPD-SLs as well and there is almost no real difference at all other than the A600s let me use my MTB shoes which allow me to run the cleats further back and keep my feet from going numb as quick when riding really hard in hot weather, despite the fact the MTB shoes are nylon and are not as stiff as the carbon soled shoes I was using with the SPD-SLs.

I won't go back to road shoes unless I raced again.. way too nice to use a nice pair of MTB shoes on long road rides when you're going to stack up stoppage time at the rest stops.

Crappy MTB shoes seem to let you pop out easier which is a big no-no on the road when racing, but higher quality ones seem to not have that issue.

SPD-SL cleats (and most other road systems AFAICT) all wear out cleats super fast compared to SPD... changing out cleats is an opportunity to mess up a contact point so not my favorite thing to do.

sparky33
06-29-2016, 01:28 PM
The one negative of SPD-SL is that it can limit cleat placement unless you choose your shoes wisely. MTB pedals allow different cleat positions.. on average they seem to bias towards more aft cleat positions.

I have a pair of the SPD A600s right now. I have Ultegra SPD-SLs as well and there is almost no real difference at all other than the A600s let me use my MTB shoes which allow me to run the cleats further back and keep my feet from going numb as quick when riding really hard in hot weather, despite the fact the MTB shoes are nylon and are not as stiff as the carbon soled shoes I was using with the SPD-SLs.

I won't go back to road shoes unless I raced again.. way too nice to use a nice pair of MTB shoes on long road rides when you're going to stack up stoppage time at the rest stops.

Crappy MTB shoes seem to let you pop out easier which is a big no-no on the road when racing, but higher quality ones seem to not have that issue.

SPD-SL cleats (and most other road systems AFAICT) all wear out cleats super fast compared to SPD... changing out cleats is an opportunity to mess up a contact point so not my favorite thing to do.

Interesting about the fore/aft limitation. I will take a look at where my mtb cleats are placed.

I completely understand the other stuff:
My nice carbon mtb shoes are stiff, comfortable and walkable. A logical choice for some of the longer and more varied rides that involve long days, stops and some walking.

My roadie rides are mostly 1-2 hours with almost no stops. Folks say that the stiff road shoes&pedals are great for those high-tempo rides. I've grown to love these regular morning rides with an organized fast group. Maybe I'm falling into the gear trap a bit. Though I think it is alright to have special road gear.

FlashUNC
06-29-2016, 01:32 PM
One opinion counter to the Shimano love-fest: Time Expressos.

Time's float abilities are second to none with their lateral and rotational float together. Can definitely help keep some creaky knees happy. The pedals are light and wide and engage reliably.

benb
06-29-2016, 01:39 PM
Everyone is different.. I rode 100% MTB shoes with single sided SPD pedals on the road from 2000-2004. I rode SPD-SL on the road from 2004 till a few months ago.

I battled foot issues with the SPD-SLs for years trying different shoes, custom orthotics, etc.. nothing works as easily as just going back to wearing the mountain shoes for me. Power meters do not seem to show up any difference in power transfer between road and mountain shoes/pedals for me, if anything I put more power down with the mountain setup as it seems to give me a better fit.

jtakeda
06-29-2016, 02:07 PM
What do you like about it?

There's a really positive engagement.

You press down pretty hard to get in, but once you're in you're locked down tight.

I don't need a ton of float but a little bit is there if you need it.
Cleats are cheap- pedals are easy to find lightly used.

I've never tried the spd sl but if I were to try I guess bows the time since I only have 1 road bike right now.

El Chaba
06-29-2016, 02:15 PM

Time's float abilities are second to none with their lateral and rotational float together. Can definitely help keep some creaky knees happy. The pedals are light and wide and engage reliably.

+1... The security of Time's cleat/pedal interface is a WAY undersold feature....

BdaGhisallo
06-29-2016, 02:18 PM

Keep in mind that all spd-sl cleats - red/fixed, blue/2deg float based around the front of the pedal and yellow/6deg float based around the center of the pedal - work with any spd-sl pedal. There are no DA or Ultegra level cleats.

The 9000 DA pedals do come with the blue cleats but that is only because these cleats were launched at the same time as 9000 and Shimano wanted to get them out there. The red and yellow cleats have both been available since the fall of 2002 when the spd-sl pedal design was launched.

JStonebarger
06-29-2016, 02:53 PM
These days I use eggbeaters more than any of my road pedals. There might be a tiny aero penalty, so I'll keep speedplays on my TT bike, but beyond that...

R3awak3n
06-29-2016, 02:58 PM
Another vote foe spd sl. I say go da if you have the cash otherwise the ultegras are great and so are the 105s.

mcteague
06-29-2016, 07:04 PM

I loved the overall feel of Time pedals but had two pair of RXS break at the pedal body. Then, my Xpresso 8s snapped at the spindle. No more, using Ultegra SPD-SLs now. Completely bullet proof and nearly as nice entry/exit/float.

Tim

stuckinthecity
06-29-2016, 07:08 PM
One vote for speedplay "walkable" cleats.

Jcgill
06-29-2016, 07:26 PM
Another shimano spd-sl vote!

I recently started using Ulterga 6800 pedals and love them. Prior to the Ultergas i was using Look Keo Max pedals.
AngryScientist really hit the nail on the head about the shimanos taking all the good features of the looks while leaving out any cons associated with the look system.

The shimanos have a much more positive engagement and the cleats are better than the look keo cleats.

saab2000
06-29-2016, 07:29 PM
you can screw around playing with other pedals, or you can get the best road pedal system on the market: SPD-SL. Dura-ace level.

This is the only response I read and I'm endorsing this opinion.

Best bearings. Best stack height. Best platform. Best cleat availability. Best pedal.

/thread

saab2000
06-29-2016, 07:31 PM
+1... The security of Time's cleat/pedal interface is a WAY undersold feature....

I had Times and they had me for life. Until they didn't. They changed the cleat design when I had a bunch of Impacts. They were great pedals but cleat availability was a problem and the bearings were nice, but the Shimano bearings are even nicer.

I switched about 8 years ago and have never looked back. SPD-SL for me.

arcadian
06-29-2016, 07:34 PM

Agree with this. i didn't love my spd-sl's, but do love my expressos. To each his own.

carpediemracing
06-29-2016, 08:05 PM
I started using Exustars this spring.

I was using a Look Keo Carbon (sort of like the Keo2Max but without the metal cleat plate). It held my foot securely, even when I sprinted, but I had to max the tension.

I bought a couple Keo2Max and also maybe 4 or 5 sets of Keo Classics/Sprints/etc. This way I could have the same pedals for my track bike, tandem, for the Missus, etc.

I didn't bother riding any of the other pedals until a while later. I could not stay clipped in to any of the Keos except the Carbon. I must twist my foot when pedaling hard and the Keos would instantly let my foot go. The Carbons didn't do that.

When speaking with a former Look rep he suggested giving the Exustar a try. Same cleat but harder release. I got a mid-level pedal. With about 2/3 tension it holds more securely than the Keo Carbon, with the same cleats (I didn't change the cleats so literally the exact same set of cleats).

With my Keos I never had squeaking problems. I cracked two sets of cleats, one from over tightening, one from using it well past the wear indicators. Other than that I've been happy with the Keo Carbon from 2007 to end of 2015. They started getting worn therefore I wanted to replace them.

Exustar pedal post I did:
http://sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.com/2016/06/equipment-exustar-pedals.html

The Look Keo Carbon are the black pedals in the post above. I got them in mid 2007. I haven't regularly ridden any other pedal since then.

oldpotatoe
06-30-2016, 06:44 AM
I decided to get proper road shoes and pedals. What pedals do I get?

For the last decade and some, I've used mtb (eggbeater, candy) pedals on my bikes since walkability and compatibility was a priority for my mostly non-roadie riding. More recently, I'm riding mostly on the road with a good roadie crowd, and I'm game for proper footing. Sticking with Specialized shoes because they work with my feet. I know nothing about road pedals.

The LBS shows Shimano and Look pedals - they can order others...looking at nicer stuff (Ultegra+ or the equivalent.)

What pedals do I get and why?

Seeking knowledge and opinion. ;)

All road bike pedals do the same thing, a little differently.

Look/Shimano-one sided, toe in, heel down entry. Float or rotation centered at front of pedal/cleat. Nicely made, not repairable/bearing wise. Cleats plastic, fairly expensive. Kill one pedal in a crash, cannot buy one pedal.

I like Speedplay. I went from Campag ProFit ro SP zero..put cleats in same place..felt the same. Reason I like Zeros-
-2 sided-easy entry-'step on a bug' entry
-adjustable float w/o having to buy another set of cleats-float centered on foot
-maintainable-easy to replace bearings/parts of cleats or pedals
-most adjustable cleat in terms of fore-aft and side to side of any pedal
-different axle lengths available
-kill one pedal, buy one pedal
-NO road cleat ought to walked on but at least the part you walk on with SP is metal, not plastic.

Likes2ridefar
06-30-2016, 07:31 AM
Id rather walk on the rubberish tabs of shimano than the metal of speedplay.

Way better traction and stability. I regulary walk on hike a bike trail sections in mine.

stephenmarklay
06-30-2016, 07:40 AM
spd-sl takes all the good features of the LOOK system and throws out the bad. better cleats, better durability, no squeaks

And better cleat mounting hardware. I hate the lame bolts that come with Look.

zap
06-30-2016, 08:40 AM
Pedals are almost like saddles and bibs............you stick with what works.

For myself, I'm happy with Dura Ace SPD-SL's. The bearings more than make up for the heft and the cleats last. I tried the newish Blue cleats but my knees prefer the yellow cleats.

Waiting to get more details on the new Dura Ace 9100 pedals.

Steve K
06-30-2016, 08:45 AM
from: http://bike.shimano.com/content/sac-bike/en/home/news-and-info/news/shimano-introduces-new-dura-ace-r9100-road-components--integrate.html

SPD-SL PEDALS:
Refined SPD-SL pedals offer lighter weight without sacrificing performance

By reexamining every aspect of DURA-ACE SPD-SL pedals, Shimano was able to save 24.5g while still providing legendary SPD efficiency, stability and durability.
PD-R9100, SPD-SL Pedal

Excellent pedaling efficiency
Optimized balance of weight and rigidity
Injection molded carbon composite body
Hollow cleat bolt
Extra-wide platform provides efficient power transfer and excellent stability
Stainless steel body plate
Wide bearing placement design ensures smooth rotation, uniformed load distribution and durability
Adjustable entry and release tension settings
Shimano 3-year limited warranty

PD-R9100.jpg
Pricing and availability

Shimano DURA-ACE R9100 series components will be available starting in September 2016.

MattTuck
06-30-2016, 08:48 AM
Steve,

I ride Speedplay Zeros and I like them. Primarily like the two-sided entry and the fact that you have some float. Yes, the cleat is not super comfortable to walk in, and sometimes if I have to walk on gravel, dirt, pavement, it makes me cringe a little bit, but if this is truly just for riding, it is managable.

You can always get cleat covers if you are concerned.

cash05458
06-30-2016, 08:50 AM
"Pedals are almost like saddles and bibs............you stick with what works."

Exactly...me, I have been using looks in whatever form for twenty five years...I tried, way way back, some shimano 7400 spd's or whatever they were called then and some campy ones as well...they were fine but I liked the looks better so just stuck with them over time...never had a single issue, they just work as I am sure do others. Good degree of float and never, thank god, any knee problems so I stuck with them. The Keo's are nice now. I buy cheapo generic cleats mostly rather than the looks...same stuff but ten bucks rather than 20 for the looks...as per walking, I never thought too much of it as if your on your bike you are on your bike...ideally! Picked up a set of cheapo exustar's for my rain ride and they are pretty much same as looks...just fine.

El Chaba
06-30-2016, 09:35 AM
I've written many times before that in my opinion the most intelligently designed and best functioning pedals ever were the original Time TBT pedals introduced in the late 1980's. By today's standards they are considered big (not necessarily a bad thing) and heavy. Each successive generation of new Time pedals has given away some of the original brilliant functionality to save on weight and size although the basic principle of function remains. In my opinion, the best combination of weight, function and serviceability occurred with their Impact range. In my opinion, those pedals were the finest pedals ever produced for a road racing bicycle.

Mzilliox
06-30-2016, 09:42 AM
so cats run shimano spd-sl on campy cranks? just curious?

cash05458
06-30-2016, 09:49 AM
I've written many times before that in my opinion the most intelligently designed and best functioning pedals ever were the original Time TBT pedals introduced in the late 1980's. By today's standards they are considered big (not necessarily a bad thing) and heavy. Each successive generation of new Time pedals has given away some of the original brilliant functionality to save on weight and size although the basic principle of function remains. In my opinion, the best combination of weight, function and serviceability occurred with their Impact range. In my opinion, those pedals were the finest pedals ever produced for a road racing bicycle.

a buddy of mine swears by Time stuff and loves those TBT's as well...so maybe something there.

zap
06-30-2016, 11:37 AM
so cats run shimano spd-sl on campy cranks? just curious?

Campy appreciates good bearings so the argument was brief. Best buddies now.