PDA

View Full Version : Fit: Giro vs Sidi

frank_h
06-28-2016, 07:56 PM
Hi All,

I am currently using a set of Sidi Genius 5 Pro shoes for the road. These are EU 45.5 and I couldn't go a mm smaller - but I like that. However, I'm looking to try something a little different and keep these as my rain and trainer shoes.

Lightweight, good power transfer, and adjustability are pluses. And, of course, something that I can slip some covers over easily for aero/warmth/dry purposes.

The Giro Empire SLX are top of my list. I was wondering if anyone has made the switch between Sidi and the SLX (or Empire model, in general) and could verse me in the size comparisons.

If I go with the Empire SLX, would a 45.5 good fit in the Sidi Genius 5 Pro transfer well? I could add a little extra room, but I couldn't go down any further.

Thanks for any input!

carpediemracing
06-28-2016, 10:49 PM
I didn't make the switch but I've been a Sidi user forever. I was thinking of trying lighter shoes. Spent a bit of time putting shoes on. Giro and Fizik seemed to fit just like my Sidis (size 41 for me). Those two brands were specifically aimed at Sidis I think, in terms of fit, which is why I was intent on trying them on. I was at Interbike so there were no shortage of shoes to try on.

There were other shoes that didn't seem to do the trick. I remember Mavic, Vittoria, a couple others that escape me. So no assurances on your situation but the Giro may work.

coffeecake
06-28-2016, 10:51 PM
Here is my anecdotal submission. Please consume with a grain of salt.

I switched from Sidi Genius 5, 42.5 EU (2011) to Giro Empire SLX, 42.5 (2015).

My Sidi Genius was not quite wide enough for my forefoot, while my SLXs are. The SLXs, however, scrunch my toes together marginally more than my Sidis.

All in all, I wish I had sized up to 43 for the SLXs. Despite this, I have put probably 8000 miles on my SLXs and they are great. I experience MINOR discomfort on rides that are upward of 5 hrs. Not enough to find a new shoe though. If your Sidis are on the verge of being too tight, perhaps size up a half size first.

kramnnim
06-28-2016, 11:43 PM
My Giro 45.5 Prolights feel a little bigger than my Sidi 45s.

My feet are very...low volume, though, so length is the only thing I notice.

m_sasso
06-29-2016, 12:11 AM
Own Sidi Ergo2's and Giro Factor's both in size 42. The Sidi's are defiantly smaller in the toe box volume. For an all day ride I will pick up the Giro's first for that added bit of wiggle room and comfort.

macaroon
06-29-2016, 03:16 AM
Older Sidi's (such as the Ergo 2) were definitely smaller than Giro's.

I've had lots of newer Sidi's and they all had more volume than my old Ergo 2s.

I normally a 46 in Sidi, and the Giro's I had were a 45.5. TBF I could possibly get away with a 45.5 in a Sidi.

Another thing to consider is the footbeds. If you're using the stock wafer thin blue Sidi insoles, then bear in mind the ones in the Giros are a bit thicker and take up a bit mroe space.

oldpotatoe
06-29-2016, 05:43 AM
Hi All,

I am currently using a set of Sidi Genius 5 Pro shoes for the road. These are EU 45.5 and I couldn't go a mm smaller - but I like that. However, I'm looking to try something a little different and keep these as my rain and trainer shoes.

Lightweight, good power transfer, and adjustability are pluses. And, of course, something that I can slip some covers over easily for aero/warmth/dry purposes.

The Giro Empire SLX are top of my list. I was wondering if anyone has made the switch between Sidi and the SLX (or Empire model, in general) and could verse me in the size comparisons.

If I go with the Empire SLX, would a 45.5 good fit in the Sidi Genius 5 Pro transfer well? I could add a little extra room, but I couldn't go down any further.

Thanks for any input!

4-5 Giro shoe dealers around Chapel Hill, including a REI..go try some on.

cdn_bacon
06-29-2016, 07:43 AM
I'm a 44 in giro factor acc and prolight SLX, as well as any sidi shoe.

1/2 a size up for me in empires. Tie em right from the beginning, gets annoying to stop and lace up rather than ratchet or adjust vecro or twist a boa.

frank_h
06-29-2016, 10:16 AM
Thanks so much for the input. I'm a narrow and low volume foot and was mainly concerned with proper length.

I am currently using a pair of higher volume super feet (green ones) in them and this has really helped me keep the foot anchored in my shoe without having to crank things down too much.

I went ahead and am trying the 45 in the SLX (which should be the 45.5 equivalent in Sidi from the Giro charts) and will see how that goes.

Thanks again for all the information!

frank_h
09-27-2016, 10:22 AM
Just wanted to post a longer term update.

As I mentioned, I did end up going down 0.5 and got the 45 (vs my SIDI 45.5). This was the perfect decision. I still have a little room available for those cold days and the woolies, but I can get a perfect silk slipper fit with the lacing.

These are super light, super great fit, incredibly stiff, stylish, breathable.... so glad I went with this.

Thanks again for all the help and recommendations. I am know so hooked on this shoe that I will be watching sales to try and pick up backups.